eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 41 of 315
    Well, Apple turned around and shipped my BTO PB today, pushing forward the ship date with one week.. EOL, i dont think so..
  • Reply 42 of 315
    The would rather avoid getting a G4, what with Tiger comming out at all. The G5 is obviously where everything is headed, and I don't have to buy until anytime before september. I like the eMac design more, and I'd rather have a CRT than pay for for an LCD. Plus I hate the iMacs new design (The G4's design was much better IMHO) though I still may end up getting the 1.8 17" configuration, with a gig of ram and 160 gig hard drive depending on the price and if they chance the video solution by september. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 43 of 315
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Amorph, I don't think the LCD was more than a passing concern. Last elementary school that I visited has LCD's on all their new machines, plenty of CRTs around too (on older machines) no macs... Could it be price? (and pedagogy?)

Last High School I visited, had a lab full of eMacs, for use in a multimedia/film class. It was a fairly progressive school. This was the last time that I saw any new macs installed in a HS.

Interestingly, one of the more monied elementary schools in our area has a couple of iBook based labs.

I really think that the question is more one of money, than of durability. Though, initially, durability may have been a concern, it has subsided as far as I can see. Money, however, remains an ever-present consideration.
  • Reply 44 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alcibiades

The would rather avoid getting a G4, what with Tiger comming out at all. The G5 is obviously where everything is headed, and I don't have to buy until anytime before september. I like the eMac design more, and I'd rather have a CRT than pay for for an LCD. Plus I hate the iMacs new design (The G4's design was much better IMHO) though I still may end up getting the 1.8 17" configuration, with a gig of ram and 160 gig hard drive depending on the price and if they chance the video solution by september. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

yeah the former system with the arm holding the screen was too expensive for apple on the imac G4

but i agree, i prefer the imac G4 too
  • Reply 45 of 315
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alcibiades

G5's isn't clearly where the line is heading actually. Don't forget about freescale, they're working on non-g5 processors for the future. Those will definitely go in a few macs.
  • Reply 46 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by theSutex

Well, Apple turned around and shipped my BTO PB today, pushing forward the ship date with one week.. EOL, i dont think so..

The US Apple store says 7-10 days shipping for PB. That is new, it has been same day shipping for weeks. I know, I've been clicking to check for updates since MWSF.
  • Reply 47 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

The US Apple store says 7-10 days shipping for PB. That is new, it has been same day shipping for weeks. I know, I've been clicking to check for updates since MWSF.

yes, they changed those shipping times for BTO orders last week in norway, now all PB are delayed too.. but why would they need to delay mine, and then push forward shipping from 28th? a 2% small possibility is that they update tuesday and i get a speedbumped one.. Even less, if they do speedbump within 2 weeks of delivery, ill send it back and demand a new one.. im backed by norwegian law anyway..
  • Reply 48 of 315
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Amorph, I don't think the LCD was more than a passing concern. Last elementary school that I visited has LCD's on all their new machines, plenty of CRTs around too (on older machines) no macs... Could it be price? (and pedagogy?)

Who knows? If the LCDs were new, perhaps someone's about to find out the hard way why Apple's edu solution has a CRT.

There are a lot of former corporate IT types moving into edu, and they're bringing their habits with them.

Quote:

I really think that the question is more one of money, than of durability. Though, initially, durability may have been a concern, it has subsided as far as I can see. Money, however, remains an ever-present consideration.

I think money overrides questions of durability when push comes to shove, especially among people who imagine that there's something magical about putting computers in classrooms.

I've also noticed, in coverage of major switches to Windows, that in many cases the Apple rep didn't even know the decision had been deliberated on or reached, so the cost issue might boil down to some IT guy telling the superintended that "Macs are overpriced." Apple bids aggressively, and they have outbid Dell on contracts before. Of course, they're not going to win every bid, but I think the more general problem is that they're not even being given the chance to try.
  • Reply 49 of 315
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hopefully the eMac or an equivalent sticks around.

For many people, it provides a cheap way to jump onto the mac platform. I personally helped three friends choose an eMac and appropriate peripherals. All were starving grad students or young professionals who simply could not afford an LCD no matter what. They were also non-techies and an AIO fit their needs perfectly.

All of these friends are still immensly satisfied with their eMac. One is now working as a school teacher in another state and uses her eMac for many hours every day. She moved into a new house last month and set up her eMac in a matter of seconds.

The eMac is not dated at all. For many, it is still the best price for the features they need.
  • Reply 50 of 315
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Who knows? If the LCDs were new, perhaps someone's about to find out the hard way why Apple's edu solution has a CRT.

There are a lot of former corporate IT types moving into edu, and they're bringing their habits with them.

I think money overrides questions of durability when push comes to shove, especially among people who imagine that there's something magical about putting computers in classrooms.

No doubt. I've been ostracised on more than one occasion for suggesting that there's nothing special about putting a computer in a classroom. It becomes especially difficult at times trying to convince parents that there's really no value whatsoever in their children "learning" Office at 8 years old. Learn to solve problems, appropriate concepts that are transferable to different tasks, don't simply learn "the computer". The computer is a tool, and it has a short expiration date.
  • Reply 51 of 315
    Quote:

yes, they changed those shipping times for BTO orders last week in norway, now all PB are delayed too.. but why would they need to delay mine, and then push forward shipping from 28th? a 2% small possibility is that they update tuesday and i get a speedbumped one.. Even less, if they do speedbump within 2 weeks of delivery, ill send it back and demand a new one.. im backed by norwegian law anyway..

you have 2 weeks to change your mind in Norway ?

it's time for the EU to apply the same advantages to all country members
  • Reply 52 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

you have 2 weeks to change your mind in Norway ?

it's time for the EU to apply the same advantages to all country members

only one problem here my friend.. norway is not an EU member but the danish have the same rules i think.. its a law that makes sure that a customer who buys outside a retail store (mail, web, phone sale) gets what he wants. so he can freely try it out for 14 days upon arrival.. the law co-exists with the law that says that no mather what i have 5 years of "warranty" on my purchase.
  • Reply 53 of 315
    Quote:

only one problem here my friend.. norway is not an EU member but the danish have the same rules i think.. its a law that makes sure that a customer who buys outside a retail store (mail, web, phone sale) gets what he wants. so he can freely try it out for 14 days upon arrival.. the law co-exists with the law that says that no mather what i have 5 years of "warranty" on my purchase.

woooooooow 5 years ????

so you don't need to pay for applecare...

sorry, so many countries in the union, i use to forget who is in and who is not

i wish we could have such laws in france...
  • Reply 54 of 315
    well, AppleCare covers alot more than the law.. But computers are put in a group which is expected to last more than 5 years.. So if anything breaks, and it is a defect in the product, like manufacturing error or something like that, it is covered by the law.. The "consumer purchace" law is quite a help for the ordinary customer, just slam it in the table, and any company has to agree (if they are present in norway, like apple is)
  • Reply 55 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I guess you have seen this.

Quote:

A reliable source has informed macosXrumors that Apple may be preparing to release new Powerbooks as well as new eMacs next Tuesday. The renewal of both Powerbook and eMac lines have been expected for some time now, while first signs of EOL were noticed earlier this week. Confirmation on the technical details of the new Powerbooks and revelations on the new eMacs¢ specifications have also been provided by the source.

A processor speed-bump to 1.5Ghz (12?) and 1.66Ghz (15? and 17?), improved graphics and other minor enhancements are expected for the new Powerbooks (as mentioned on our earlier postings), while the new eMac should be based on the PowerPC G5 processor running at 1.6Ghz and may also have improved graphics, according to the source.

Hehe, G5 eMac ... I think now with the Mac mini, this makes sense.
  • Reply 56 of 315
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hehe, G5 eMac ... I think now with the Mac mini, this makes sense.

indeed, with a little price hike of $100

it's a bargain
  • Reply 57 of 315
    New Powerbooks are coming out within the next two weeks. I placed a deposit (17") at my University on Thursday and was told they were waiting to here from apple about new pricing and were unable to place order until then. Good sign if you ask me!
  • Reply 58 of 315
    Gee I am so glad I just got my 12inch superdrive PB last week!
  • Reply 59 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Gee I am so glad I just got my 12inch superdrive PB last week!

Return it from what I heard the speed bump really doesn't change much anyway..... just to make you feel better....
  • Reply 60 of 315
    holding pointer over select key....