eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 221 of 315
    I was thinking about this last night............ apple is waiting till most of their stock is sold online and in the stores. Why bring old the "new" if you can still sell the old.

Also, I feel it won't be on a Tuesday..... it will be when it's financially in their interest to announce it............. probably by next Tuesday.

My campus computer store still cannot place an order until they hear from Apple.... They were shocked it didn't happen yesterday. They have no Powerbooks in stock.

As for the g5......... keep smoking very unlikely
  • Reply 222 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

I was thinking about this last night............ apple is waiting till most of their stock is sold online and in the stores. Why bring old the "new" if you can still sell the old.

Also, I feel it won't be on a Tuesday..... it will be when it's financially in their interest to announce it............. probably by next Tuesday.

My campus computer store still cannot place an order until they hear from Apple.... They were shocked it didn't happen yesterday. They have no Powerbooks in stock.

As for the g5......... keep smoking very unlikely

Does any remember the iMac G4 last year, Apple completely ran put and sold none for a couple of months. This could happen with the PowerBook (supply issues with G5) if it's a G5 coming soon.
  • Reply 223 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Does any remember the iMac G4 last year, Apple completely ran put and sold none for a couple of months. This could happen with the PowerBook (supply issues with G5) if it's a G5 coming soon.

Oh god I hope that doesn't happen......... I need a computer like yesterday.......... I guess I will just get a iMac if that happens!
  • Reply 224 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

Oh god I hope that doesn't happen......... I need a computer like yesterday.......... I guess I will just get a iMac if that happens!

I personally don't think it will happen. G5 supply is ok, I think and I'm not expecting a G5 in a PB. Although i may be proven wrong. I see PBs by next week.
  • Reply 225 of 315
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    New powerbooks are almost here Apple isnt going to let same performance Mini trample on powerbook long you can count on that. Emac is dead. Mini has killed that off with cheap crt & lcd monitors to hook up with. Dont expect a new Emac but the current one will linger on for awhile until supply is deleted. my 2 cents
  • Reply 226 of 315
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Not to mention the 15" powerbook, what was it, year before last, they let the supply go to zero for like two months.
  • Reply 227 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

New powerbooks are almost here Apple isnt going to let same performance Mini trample on powerbook long you can count on that. Emac is dead. Mini has killed that off with cheap crt & lcd monitors to hook up with. Dont expect a new Emac but the current one will linger on for awhile until supply is deleted. my 2 cents

I certainly hope you're wrong. I much rather have a $400 cheaper eMac, with a G5 and a nice fast GPU, than an iMac with the equivalent specs on it. Who wouldn't?
  • Reply 228 of 315
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Why release Tiger at a developers conference? They've been developing it for years and developers know it. It's much better to release in April and tell the developers in June how much they've sold etc.

good point!
  • Reply 229 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Not to mention the 15" powerbook, what was it, year before last, they let the supply go to zero for like two months.

I don't remember that - let's hope Friday, Monday or Tuesday bring good news.
  • Reply 230 of 315
    dkoesdkoes Posts: 12member
    The powerbook needs to be updated ASAP. They'll probably hold off on the eMac though. As it stands now it doesn't cut into mini sales nor do mini sales cut into eMac sales (except for low-end buyers who object to the all in one design).

My guess is the powerbooks will be updated within a few weeks, but the eMacs won't be updated for 1-3 months. They need to be updated before the edu buying season and this way an iMac upgrade can be released around the same time.
  • Reply 231 of 315
    This is ridiculous. I'm seriously thinking about keeping my iBook, since this Powerbook is taking forever.

They take 9 months for such a small update, and they can't even get it out. Yes, I understand they are probably trying to sell the old Powerbooks, but perhaps they should have stopped making those sooner. Even the iBooks got an update in the fall. I'm just feeling frustrated.
  • Reply 232 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

This is ridiculous. I'm seriously thinking about keeping my iBook, since this Powerbook is taking forever.

They take 9 months for such a small update, and they can't even get it out. Yes, I understand they are probably trying to sell the old Powerbooks, but perhaps they should have stopped making those sooner. Even the iBooks got an update in the fall. I'm just feeling frustrated.

It'll happen soon!
  • Reply 233 of 315
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

02/06/2005 : In your opinion it's possible a pb g5 ? It will be great to show it at Superbowl

At this point, the most depressing conjecture yet.

Not only Rev. A but an 11-day wait to boot!

--B
  • Reply 234 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Absentlife

Come on Apple !

02/06/2005 : In your opinion it's possible a pb g5 ? It will be great to show it at Superbowl ( do you remember 1984 ? ) . I hope so .

hmm... perhaps that Digitimes-Rumor a few weeks ago wasn't that far off after all... (okay, that's a dream - but a nice one )
  • Reply 235 of 315
    There is no way we are about to see a G5 Powerbook, but I don't mind reading the hopes and wishes. Thats cool.

The reason I say there is no way is that we've seen the specs for the G4 update Powerbook, which will soon be available. Where would those numbers have come from, if they weren't true? I don't think Apple would make them up, trying to put us off our game.

However, this latest news makes me believe that we will see a G5 Powerbook in the second half of this year.
  • Reply 236 of 315
    the article talks about hypertransport but not announcing pb G5 now
  • Reply 237 of 315
    donodono Posts: 1member
    Perhaps the delay is because of the 7447b Processor the Mac Mini use the same Processor
  • Reply 238 of 315
    Quote:

Why release Tiger at a developers conference? They've been developing it for years and developers know it. It's much better to release in April and tell the developers in June how much they've sold etc.

hmmm good point, maccrazy.
  • Reply 239 of 315
    i hope they wait as long as possible. more work on it is more better.

WWDC in June is still first-half 05
  • Reply 240 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

hmmm good point, maccrazy.

i thought so, but it could happen. I want a PB, I can wait for Tiger, I want to know when though!