eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 181 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I might too, iBooks just don't cut it, GPU is pathetic

I think an iBook 12", for portability, and a one-processor Power Mac (just to keep price down) could in some cases fill very well the need for a Powerbook.
  • Reply 182 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I don't think those specs would be too bad if we got them now (not great) but getting them 6 months from now would be obscene.

Well if we see this it means they've been spending 8 months doing something but not anything to the current powerbooks, they're not working on the current ones obviously, some future plan.
  • Reply 183 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think an iBook 12", for portability, and a one-processor Power Mac (just to keep price down) could in some cases fill very well the need for a Powerbook.

if iMac had better GPU and offered DVI (for presentations) then i would get an iBook and iMac G5. However, when on the road I want more than 1024 x 768 and video out is rubbish on iBooks, mirroring!
  • Reply 184 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShallowThroat

I'll give you a hint. The current graphics card needed to drive the 30" is probably about half the size of the current PBs, and need twice the power.

It's not possible, and won't be for a long time.

Actually, 128MB VRAM is more than enough to drive a 30" monitor. Infact, 2560x1600 * 24 bits/pixel * 1 byte/8 bits = 12.3 MB. Since OS X double buffers, that would be 24.6MB plus memory for windows. Conservatively, you could drive the 30" display with a 64MB video card, and perhaps get away with even 32MB video card.

All Apple has to do is put a dual-DVI connector on the PowerBooks and it will work.
  • Reply 185 of 315
    I can't even begin to express how pissed i'm about not having an update today! Apple is so consumed with the macmini that they placed the powerbook on the backburner. If you look at their site you will see there is no room to waste for the "new" powerbooks..

....... now what...... do I wait or ahhhh who knows
  • Reply 186 of 315
    O.k. so here's a question? Is is at all possible that the announcement will be later today or on a different day then Tuesday?
  • Reply 187 of 315
    Lionel, webmaster of macbidouille just said on his forum that he was announced that the update previously scheduled today was cancelled without any reason

i'm beginning to doubt about this site...
  • Reply 188 of 315
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

O.k. so here's a question? Is is at all possible that the announcement will be later today or on a different day then Tuesday?

Yes. The last Aluminum PowerBook update took place on a Monday. Going back further the Titanium PowerBook got upgraded with a Superdrive on a Friday. There are exceptions to mystical Tuesdays. I guess this means instead of chanting "Next Tuesday" we should be chanting "Tomorrow" every day until it happens.
  • Reply 189 of 315
    I think so........ maybe tomorrow
  • Reply 190 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

Lionel, webmaster of macbidouille just said on his forum that he was announced that the update previously scheduled today was cancelled without any reason.

Maybe to replace the 4x Superdrives with 8x versions? Better yet, maybe with the Mac mini now shipping with the Matshita 8x Superdrives the PowerBooks will get the Pioneer 8x Superdrives to differentiate them. The Pioneer version has support for dual layer burning and faster CD-RW burning which would be a nice improved spec for a Pro machine.
  • Reply 191 of 315
    would apple communicate on the ability to burn DL discs ?
  • Reply 192 of 315
    Let's just hope Apple has the ability to communicate powerbook upgrades
  • Reply 193 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

The Pioneer version has support for dual layer burning and faster CD-RW burning which would be a nice improved spec for a Pro machine.

With the (still) hallucinating pricing of the dual layer media, I see little incentive to do that.
  • Reply 194 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

With the (still) hallucinating pricing of the dual layer media, I see little incentive to do that.

To fit a movie one one disc?
  • Reply 195 of 315
    it has to come very quick !

before i hate steve jobs more than bush
  • Reply 196 of 315
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    MacBidouille have been (way) wrong before. They're not an especially reliable rumor site.

Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

Apple is so consumed with the macmini that they placed the powerbook on the backburner.

Apple is a big enough company that they can easily concentrate on more than one product at once.

Nobody promised a release date today in the first place. If Apple had actually planned one (and one does seem imminent) then it could have been held up for any number of legitimate reasons, or perhaps to wait until the fawning over the mini dies down.

At any rate, with shipping times increasing, it's probably coming. Nothing requires Apple to update on a Tuesday.
  • Reply 197 of 315
    I really wouldn't bet on a PB G5 coming out any time soon, simply because of two facts:

1. The mother of all thermal challenges.

2. Apple would deservingly make a HUGE DEAL out of it, and the opportunity for this HUGE DEAL has passed. Anybody remember MacWorld?

So just wait for the next big event. WWDC anyone? (although that smells more like a tiger than a new book to me) 8)
  • Reply 198 of 315
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

I really wouldn't bet on a PB G5 coming out any time soon, simply because of two facts:

2. Apple would deservingly make a HUGE DEAL out of it, and the opportunity for this HUGE DEAL has passed. Anybody remember MacWorld?

So just wait for the next big event. WWDC anyone? (although that smells more like a tiger than a new book to me) 8)

I think that you will get BOTH at the WWDC!

and it will be huge and just in time for back to school time orders.

• Reply 199 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

We're not expecting a G5 just an update to the dying line! If we get an update people will buy knowing that for at least 6 months their computer is top of the range. (Unless Apple launch a G5 which is thicker along side the current G4s in which case the time scale could be anything!)
  • Reply 200 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

We're not expecting a G5 just an update to the dying line! If we get an update people will buy knowing that for at least 6 months their computer is top of the range. (Unless Apple launch a G5 which is thicker along side the current G4s in which case the time scale could be anything!)

Thank you!

So......... next Tuesday or sooner?