Post mini bugs on this thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emdash

I get video noise on my display whenever there are big chunks of solid black. Intermittent horizontal streaks, generally in bright colors; kind of like very colorful horizontal static.

I'm getting little white static in dark areas, very intermittant, similar to what you describe only more like snow; not horizontal streaks. (I blamed it on the weak GPUs inability to really handle my 23" Cinema.) Have seen it some in dark areas of DVD movies and in dark areas of desktop pictures while I'm viewing a window in the foreground. Have been waiting for other similar reports, but it's so intermittent, I'm not too concerned at this point. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the DVI cable but still see the static on occasion.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    And this is why I'm waiting for the first mini revision before buying one.

If enough people actually contact Apple as opposed to just posting it here, those bugs will most likely be addressed and fixed. The same noise problem happened with the Quicksilver and they fixes the problem the next time around.

By the way, if external speakers are plugged in the computers internal speaker should not sound. That IS a bug.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    I suggest the people acting all defensive in this thread calm down a bit. You guys are doing Mac user a disfavor by making us all look bad in the eyes of all these new switchers which will be coming to this board with questions and issues about their machines. Alright, maybe 'bugs' is a bit of a strong word and offends your sensitive Apple fanboy ears, but give the newcomers the benefit of the doubt. Not every one of them is necessarily a troll!

And btw yes, Macs do have problems of their own, and no Apple is not your mother!
  • Reply 24 of 47
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

I suggest the people acting all defensive in this thread calm down a bit. You guys are doing Mac user a disfavor by making us all look bad in the eyes of all these new switchers which will be coming to this board with questions and issues about their machines. Alright, maybe 'bugs' is a bit of a strong word and offends your sensitive Apple fanboy ears, but give the newcomers the benefit of the doubt. Not every one of them is necessarily a troll!

And btw yes, Macs do have problems of their own, and no Apple is not your mother!

Don't make me send you my loud quicksilver

I think he realizes I'm not mad, but joking and have different expectations. I think my quicksilver would make a plane seem quiet maybe?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

By the way, if external speakers are plugged in the computers internal speaker should not sound. That IS a bug.

No this is the proper implementation for the Mini at startup when the drivers are yet to load (you can switch to verbose login and see for yourself). This is not a bug.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Don't get me wrong, I love my mini. The noise is a small

annoyance. If you guys get all defensive whenever

somebody points out a problem, then the problems

will not get reported as often.

With any desktop, noise is just part of the deal, that is like saying l like my car, I just wish the gasoline engine ran silently

If relitively quiet to silent is what you want, get a laptop or a g4 cube.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

With any desktop, noise is just part of the deal, that is like saying l like my car, I just wish the gasoline engine ran silently

I'm not buying your argument. Why should the mini at the exact same specs as a PowerBook be noisier?! It pretty much sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

The point is that this is something that they could fix

fairly easily - it is likely a mistake that subtracts from

the value of their product for no good reason. Like

a BMW with horsehair seats that make you itch or

something.

If you want apple to produce products that are just 'ok'

then don't provide any feedback of this type.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Curious why you'd unplug everything? i unplug my clock radio it forgets time. I'm so pissed!!! Maybe the standard settings for your diplay are what it booted up to. I personally don't find that to be a bug. I'm also mad that I put popcorn in the microwave and it doesn't set time and auto pop it.

Sorry to joke with you, but i thought you were talking about bugs. So far not one of these is.

The speaker sound deal is normal. That 1st sound is a boot/start-up sound, before the standard usb/micro/firewire or any extension, internet, anything has been loaded by the OS at start-up

The second the ?¿?¿? Not one spot on the Apple page says anything about silent or low fan noise.

3rd....I unplugged everything and wonder why it won't remember. hmmm..wait i see a cockroach

I don't think that I have ever used a computer that did not remember

it display settings. I unplugged everything because it was a suggested

fix for the fan hijinx (which did not work).

I can accept the speaker thing, even though it was different than

MacOS 8, and the display thing is also minor, but the fan is starting

to drive me nuts - hopefully there will be a firmware fix or something.

I am probably more sensitive to noise than most - I started the "which

G5 is the quietest" thread (2nd generation dual 2.0 gHz).

I think that Steve said "whisper quiet" in his keynote or something,

anyway - I read it somewhere on appleinsider.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

With any desktop, noise is just part of the deal, . . .

Yes, but a fan that quickly goes from relative quiet to maximum speed periodically can be annoying, to some of us anyway. Slow changes in fan speed would not be objectionable. I think it is legitimate to complain about the fan and hope Apple fixes it in the future. I will postpone my decision about buying a Mac mini until I can hear it for myself.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    I think the unplugging thingy was meant to be a way of resetting the mac mini's settings. I remember reading it somewhere that apple had posted this on their website, something about unplugging the mini for 20 seconds, then plugging it in and holding the power button for 10 seconds.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Yes, but a fan that quickly goes from relative quiet to maximum speed periodically can be annoying, to some of us anyway. Slow changes in fan speed would not be objectionable. I think it is legitimate to complain about the fan and hope Apple fixes it in the future. I will postpone my decision about buying a Mac mini until I can hear it for myself.

Just wondering, why with alll the fan compalints, has no one mentioned the optical drive, I have found that in many cases on SFF desktops the optical drive spinning up is at least 3x louder than any fan.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

Just wondering, why with alll the fan compalints, has no one mentioned the optical drive, I have found that in many cases on SFF desktops the optical drive spinning up is at least 3x louder than any fan.

The optical drive is under your control, so you expect it

and it is not jarring. The fan thing comes out of nowhere

and disrupts your consentration.

My mini is on top of my monitor, about 18 inches from my

ear - maybe I will move it to a high shelf and get a bunch of long

cables.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Totally agree with the people complaining here I'm afraid - they advertised this thing as "whisper-quiet" and it clearly isn't. If they hadn't boasted about the noise, I wouldn't mind so much. I know it's a budget computer, but the $400 Compaq comparison is legitimate - it would have been possible for Apple to enable the fan to be controlled more precisely and still keep within an acceptable budget.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    It quite likely is whisper silent if you set the energy control panel to automatic or reduced processor performance and aren't doing a great deal with it. It's somewhat difficult to make any comment on whether it's proper or not without first seeing one and seeing how he has it set up.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I think the unplugging thingy was meant to be a way of resetting the mac mini's settings. I remember reading it somewhere that apple had posted this on their website, something about unplugging the mini for 20 seconds, then plugging it in and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

That's how you zap the PRAM.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

Amen, brother.

If Apple hears about these issues they will fix them. It doesnt make sense to try and stifle any discussions just because it means Apple isn't perfect. Because Apple isn't perfect! But they do respond if they know the problem.

Carry on
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

No this is the proper implementation for the Mini at startup when the drivers are yet to load (you can switch to verbose login and see for yourself). This is not a bug.

OK, then perhaps they should change this. I keep a headphone plugged into my iMac G3's headphone jack at all times so the chime doesnt bother anybody. If something is plugged into the headphone jack it really should stop any and all noise coming from the mini, including start-up. At least thats the way it should be IMHO
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

I don't think that I have ever used a computer that did not remember

it display settings. I unplugged everything because it was a suggested

fix for the fan hijinx (which did not work).

I can accept the speaker thing, even though it was different than

MacOS 8, and the display thing is also minor, but the fan is starting

to drive me nuts - hopefully there will be a firmware fix or something.

I am probably more sensitive to noise than most - I started the "which

G5 is the quietest" thread (2nd generation dual 2.0 gHz).

I think that Steve said "whisper quiet" in his keynote or something,

anyway - I read it somewhere on appleinsider.

If you unplug devices from a PC, then plug them in again I believe the settings load once more but not necessarily at the old setting. The only thing that should definitely remain the same id the clock/time.

I am sensitive to noise also and this is a deal killer.

You are correct that Apple claimed the Mini is whisper-quiet, and besides what squash and some others say here you have a legit gripe.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Yes, this process is *designed* to reset everything, including your display settings. Not a bug.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

My mini is on top of my monitor...

Thereby pumping all the heat from your monitor into the mini, and making it hotter.

Try putting it on your desk?