Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The optical drive is under your control, so you expect it

and it is not jarring. The fan thing comes out of nowhere

and disrupts your consentration.

My mini is on top of my monitor, about 18 inches from my

ear - maybe I will move it to a high shelf and get a bunch of long

cables.

Just a thought, a CRT can generate a lot of heat: My thinking is that the heat from the monitor is getting into the vent holes (what look like ventholes in the pics that i have seen) this on top of the heat from the processor could cause the fan to kick on suddenly if the rate of temperature increase is dramatic or more than normal, try setting it beside the monitor or anywhere else that you can, also the computer could mess with the display and vise-versa because of microwave and magnetic feilds, so I recomend getting it off of the monitor, and after you do, degause the monitor (there will be an option in the monitors hardware settings, just hit the menu or setup button on the front and search for it - degauseing fixes the magnetic polarity for optimum proformance and it can often make a dramatic differance)
  • Reply 42 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Thereby pumping all the heat from your monitor into the mini, and making it hotter.

Try putting it on your desk?

It does it on the desk as well. My monitor is huge - and the

mini fits on the front ledge, well away from any heat. I just

felt up there and everything feels normal temparature.

The magnetics/degaussing is a good point, though - I will move it.

Also, to the previous poster - I didn't know about holding

the power switch in for 10 seconds, so all I did was power

it down, pull the cables, plug them in, and power up.

I don't think it did a reset, so the display settings were

lost without a reset.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    I have a hopeful thought. Fan control logic may be a process running in OS X. The present OS X build for the mini may have a temporary, first cut at this function. If this is how it works, the next revision to Panther may give improved performance. I seem to remember reading that the G5 CPU has temperature sensing built into the chip. The G4 may not, so Apple had to come up with a different scheme for the Mac mini. I'll just wait to see how this fan issue works out.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It quite likely is whisper silent if you set the energy control panel to automatic or reduced processor performance and aren't doing a great deal with it.

There are no such settings in the Energy control panel for my mini. That's a laptop thing. (I've also heard of such a setting for the G5 iMacs.) I would gladly reduce processor performance if it would shut up this fan when all I'm doing is surfing and email.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    camcam Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My mini is on top of my monitor, about 18 inches from my

ear - maybe I will move it to a high shelf and get a bunch of long

cables.

I just noticed that you said that your mini is on top of your monitor. I think that may be the root of your fan problem. The heat rising from the top of your display may be heating up the mini and making its fans run more than they normally would.

I would try relocating the mini to a cooler spot to see if it helps.

oops... missed similar post above.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CAM

I just noticed that you said that your mini is on top of your monitor. I think that may be the root of your fan problem. The heat rising from the top of your display may be heating up the mini and making its fans run more than they normally would.

I would try relocating the mini to a cooler spot to see if it helps.

oops... missed similar post above.

I moved on top of my monitor fairly late

in the process of trying to fix the fan

thing. I'm going to relocate the mini to

under the desk.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

I have a hopeful thought. Fan control logic may be a process running in OS X. The present OS X build for the mini may have a temporary, first cut at this function. If this is how it works, the next revision to Panther may give improved performance. I seem to remember reading that the G5 CPU has temperature sensing built into the chip. The G4 may not, so Apple had to come up with a different scheme for the Mac mini. I'll just wait to see how this fan issue works out.

Good point my quicksilver 733 and 1.4 owc upgrade both didnt have the temp sensor built in. Also for that noisy quicksilver that someone mentioned earlier. Turn it off and clean it out. it will make a difference Mr Freeman