Apple to build elegant retail store in Manhattan's Midtown

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    If they escavated the huge sidewalk and put the apple cube in the center that would be a wicked way to enter. All glass atrium and archetectural glass stairs.

wow.

Apple uses cutting edge designers to create their consumer shopping spaces.

I have no doubt that this will be the case. I can't wait to see what (and where) they end up.

btw:

is this rumor from more than one source? Google turns up only AI as a source.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

OH MY GOD!!

3 blocks away!

<kneels on bended knee and thanks almighty for bounty>

The only thing better is having Steve Jobs deliver me a Pizza!

ack!

I..... Hate... You....

• Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I..... Hate... You....

One more reason to hate me

....we already have the soho store!!

http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/week/20050123.html

how far away from mayfair are you?

http://www.apple.com/retail/mayfair/week/20050123.html
  • Reply 24 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    TednDi = $$$$?
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

TednDi = $$$$?

more like $1.63

We, is defined as the inhabitants of all of NYC!

• Reply 26 of 64
    Last night I caught a snippet of news. The plaza hotel (across the street from the GM building) on 5th av. Is to be partially converted to condos and retail stores.

How reliable is the news source for the GM building.

If FAO schwartz is staying then where are they going to put the apple store. Could it be in the refurbished plaza hotel?
  • Reply 27 of 64
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    After doing some light research I've discovered that there is currently no lease on the lower level retail space in the GM building that faces 5th Ave. This space is below ground level CBS moved into the other retail space located on the north wing of the building (FAO has the south wing). So, it looks like Apple would be aiming for this below ground level space. Renovations to the sunken plaza in front of the building expanded this vacant space by 10,000 feet. The building's street level lobby also use to house the GM showroom while it was under GM ownership. As the building has been sold twice since, it is no longer a showroom.

So, I would bank on Apple having a street level glass cube entrance to a below ground retail space. I've been trying to find a good picture to show where this space would be but it's been difficult.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Boy, my mental image of the area is all screwed up. I have the CBS building, FAO Schwartz, Central Park and Rockefeller Center in my head. I can barely remember the sunken plaza. I don't recall it being that sunken or any areaway if there is one.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Boy, my mental image of the area is all screwed up. I have the CBS building, FAO Schwartz, Central Park and Rockefeller Center in my head. I can barely remember the sunken plaza. I don't recall it being that sunken or any areaway if there is one.

the sunken plaza is where the fountains are now facing west across from the plaza hotel and central park. For those in NYC think the conran's shop by the 59th st bridge for a good use of underground vault space transformed into retail.

I could see this space becoming a real NYC icon. "Apple in the Big Apple" and all!

• Reply 30 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    New York City definitely needs another Apple store. In last Sunday's Circuits section of the New York Times, there was a long article raving about the amazing concept of the Apple Genius Bar. Their only complaint was that the one in New York has lines almost out the store.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

New York City definitely needs another Apple store. In last Sunday's Circuits section of the New York Times, there was a long article raving about the amazing concept of the Apple Genius Bar. Their only complaint was that the one in New York has lines almost out the store.

that's an understatement. the genius bar at soho has become useless due to the 6 hour wait EVERYDAY from the moment the store opens. kind of defeats the purpose of walk-up free tech support.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    That's because New Yorkers are dumb.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Thanks for, uh... wait, uh... nothing!
  • Reply 34 of 64
    here are 2 views of the GM plaza one is on the north west corner looking southeast and the other is the below street level retail space. Sorry for the crappy resolution they were shot with a camera phone.

The staircase in the second shot clearly shows where the cube might be situated with the GM Building behind it.

http://www.geocities.com/tedndi/photopagetan.html
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

here are 2 views of the GM plaza one is on the north west corner looking southeast and the other is the below street level retail space. Sorry for the crappy resolution they were shot with a camera phone.

The staircase in the second shot clearly shows where the cube might be situated with the GM Building behind it.

http://www.geocities.com/tedndi/photopagetan.html

thanks!

that shows it perfectly. the 2nd photo.

that will be the location, I've heard rumors of it myself. Expect it to be pretty amazing.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is great news. NY needs a larger Apple store. The idea sounds about right, as Midtown is full of palaces to retail.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I don't get it. We're dumb for taking advantage of free face to face serive?????
  • Reply 38 of 64
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I don't get it. We're dumb for taking advantage of free face to face serive?????

I think he was joking

after all it is a Blue state!

NO NO NO johnrp don't help this nice civilized thread break down like all the others NO NO NO *

J.

* This is a joke ad I applologise to anyone who is offended please ignore me I'm feeling a little giddy as my G5 will arrive today.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

thanks!

that shows it perfectly. the 2nd photo.

that will be the location, I've heard rumors of it myself. Expect it to be pretty amazing.

You are welcome!

the underground space is vacant. And from my GF's recollection it used to be a TGI Friday's or some such thing at one time.

It could take a while though to get NYC to issue the building permits however.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Putting it on Fifth Avenue is a stroke of genius, as snooty Upper East Siders and West Siders can't bitch that it's closer or further away from the other.

Also, I'd expect the cash register to ring early and often as putting an Apple Store there is the cure for Upper Siders to have to drag their asses down to the (ugh) Village just to do something as pedestrian as buy a computer..