Prediction: Apple bigger than Microsoft in 5 years

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft just announced their quarterly results and their revenues were $10.82 billion. Apple's revenues for the quarter was $3.49 billion if I remember correctly.

I can seriously see Apple outgrowing Microsoft in 5 years. Companies really don't need to upgrade their Windows PCs much. Windows XP does everything necessary except for having decent security, so maybe MS will get one more round of upgrades.

Apple will be selling more and more music, and will probably get a better deal from the music companies. iPod sales could be four or five times as high even if the prices are a little bit less. I can see Apple taking 10% of the PC market away from Microsoft. As Apple's reputation grows, I can see them selling a home entertainment server and even great software like iWork on the PC side. They could be selling movie downloads as well. Robert X. Cringley just expained the perfect way to do it. You get unlimited movies per month and you get to have 6 or 7 in the queue. So after you watch one another downloads and you never have to wait.

Anyone else think it's possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, sure, it's POSSIBLE, but i don't think for the reasons you might suspect. in other words, it's not just about the money. sure that helps, but i think the main reason that apple has a shot at gaining ground is that i think the tech market is changing into something else. and bill has shown that he and ballmer are utterly out of touch with what the sector needs.

steve is telling redmond, hey, go ahead, keep the word processing market. sooner or later, people will realize they don't need to upgrade their computer (and therefore their os) anymore to use your software (unless they just intentionally slow it down further). and you're too far behind the curve on digital video and music to realize that they are the currently fast running current.

if, and it's a big if, apple can convince people that the digital lifestyle and apple computers are synonymous, watch out...

game over, man. game over.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I don't think it is an unrealistic prediction. Although I would say Microsoft falling down to below Apple would be more likely than Apple rising above them.

MS revenue from the last few years:

2002 28 billion

2003 32 billion 13% growth

2004 37 billion 14% growth

2005 40 billion 8% growth

Microsoft's revenue growth has fallen from %13 to only %8 from the latest numbers released a few days ago. The MS office software sales have fallen %3 and other indications that their software sales aren't keeping up with the latest growth in the peecee market. One time blip or trend?

The recent announcement of them opening up their office document format seems to indicate they are under severe pressure from governments to force them to make such a drastic move. Along with the much publicized trips of MS execs to various countries/cities to slash prices to try to stem defections to open source solutions. Europe, Asia, and South America all seem to be heading down the path of ever increasing usage of Linux and OpenOffice. And MS will have to keep drastically cutting prices to stay competitive.

The number of sub $500 x86 machines with Linux preloaded seems to keep increasing. I wonder how long the big OEMs will go before they feel the need to jettison the MS licensing fee to stay price competitive. Let consumers either pirate/reuse their existing licenses.

And finally, MS has no new products that even have the remote possibility of generating comparable revenue levels as their current products do. At least none that I am aware of.

I think even the best case for MS over the next few years is revenue growth to stall and start to fall. How fast is the only question.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple this year is the most influential brand.

Name recognition and perception as the most innovative and "cool" will win over converts.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...0367383_newsml
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by spindler

Anyone else think it's possible?

The last few years Apple has done everything right (mostly) and Microsoft has done everything wrong. I would say the cards are in Apples favour.

Apples' last quarter produced something like 300 million in revenue. Dell posted around 600 million in revenue - and I remember thinking - Apple isn't really all that far away in passing Dell. Not if they can keep their momentum going.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

The last few years Apple has done everything right (mostly) and Microsoft has done everything wrong. I would say the cards are in Apples favour.

Apples' last quarter produced something like 300 million in revenue. Dell posted around 600 million in revenue - and I remember thinking - Apple isn't really all that far away in passing Dell. Not if they can keep their momentum going.

do you mean profit?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    this is amusing.....
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Apple this year is the most influential brand.

Name recognition and perception as the most innovative and "cool" will win over converts.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...0367383_newsml

This poll was absolute bullshit, completely unsound foundation for polling.

If Apple (& google and the rest on the list for that matter) has more recognition worldwide than Coca-Cola, or McDonalds or a half dozen others i could think of off the top of my head I'll buy a Dell.

Because an unsound, unscientific poll is being quoted as fact on CNN and other news networks does not make it so.

Hey I love my computer and I love Apple, but you people have to get a grip.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    The poll may be unsound, but it's importance can' be overlooked. Afterall, the people questioned are the trendsetters, and while their beliefs may not refelct current reality around the world (I doubt Apple has much name recognition in Rio's favelos or Africa's refugee camps), they may wind up matching product name regontion 5 years from now when the fruits of the current Apple media blitz pay their dividends.

A bigger issue is the number of young people introduced to the Apple product line; just when they were getting squeezed out of the ed market the Ipod comes along to save the day. I suspect the vast majoriy of campus bookstores in the US sell Ipods, at a minimum, and most likely Ibooks too. Plus all of the creative types: go into any cafe in NYC and almost everyone has Apple laptops. The stream of celebrities--major and minor--that come through the Apple store in NY is amazing, many of whom are doing presentations upstairs (Spike Lee recently, Christine Vachon this Thursday, Feb 2). I kick myself everytime I see Apple's present stock quote for not buying it last year (or was it 2003) when it was hovering at 15-24 (too broke now-wonder why?).
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I certainly have seen more Apple news coverage in the past year than probably I saw in the last five to ten combined. iMac, iPod, and now Mac mini news, stories, images, references permeate the media now.

Coke and McDonalds have been waning as brands for some time now. I can't think of another brand right now that comes close to Apple.

"This poll was absolute bullshit, completely unsound foundation for polling."

You may feel a different poll would provide more useful information, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the poll in question.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

MS revenue from the last few years:

2002 28 billion

2003 32 billion 13% growth

2004 37 billion 14% growth

2005 40 billion 8% growth

Microsoft's revenue growth has fallen from %13 to only %8 from the latest numbers released a few days ago.

Microsoft's revenue growth alone is higher than Apple's whole revenue. Unless MS shoots itself in the foot, for example, having spent $50 billion on Longhorn, it's going to continue the growth.

Now, get back to your crack pipes.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    yes there is when it's being taken as fact.

Real polling is not done by people going to a website that they frequent, and answering questions.

If you wanted to say readers from brandchannel.com list Apple as worlds most influential brand. Fine, no problem with that. But understand that this poll is one demographic, not representative of the entire public (ad executives?) which is how it's being passed off by media at large.

as to your microsoft theories, well amusing at best.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Microsoft's revenue growth alone is higher than Apple's whole revenue. Unless MS shoots itself in the foot, for example, having spent $50 billion on Longhorn, it's going to continue the growth.

Crack pipes?

Whatever.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

yes there is when it's being taken as fact.

Real polling is not done by people going to a website that they frequent, and answering questions.

If you wanted to say readers from brandchannel.com list Apple as worlds most influential brand. Fine, no problem with that. But understand that this poll is one demographic, not representative of the entire public (ad executives?) which is how it's being passed off by media at large.

as to your microsoft theories, well amusing at best.

Uh, thanks for the lecture on polls.

Here's a whole bunch of links to media stories about the survey, feel free to try to find one that even remotely supports what you are claiming:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News
  • Reply 14 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Apple's Revenue for the last 12 months was 9.7 Billion. Revenue growth was 33% per year.

If Microsoft flattens out to inflation, which is almost guarenteed, and if Apple stays at 33% growth (???) then Apple will catch Microsoft in 6 years.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    You don't have a clue.

I read three of the items from your link, and it only took until the second one to see someone misinform the public. The first one from information week gets it right:

Quote:

Apple Computer, riding renewed name recognition from its iPod music player, has moved into first place in a poll of branding professionals.

This one from geek.com, seems to be a little skewed:

Quote:

....has performed a survey for the last four years of the brands that consumers think are the best on the market.

That CONSUMERS think are the best? nope wrong. This version is what I've seen on TV (cnn, local news shows) repeated ad-nauseam.

Do you see the difference between the two?

I won't dismiss the poll outright I just want it taken for what it is, an unscientific poll of people who work in advertising, not a poll of the general public or consumers.

And I don't want it interpreted for me by someone wearing apple fanboi glasses.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Apple's Revenue for the last 12 months was 9.7 Billion. Revenue growth was 33% per year.

If Microsoft flattens out to inflation, which is almost guarenteed, and if Apple stays at 33% growth (???) then Apple will catch Microsoft in 6 years.

Do you think 33% growth is possible for 6 years? I'm not even going to check the math.....the 33% growth comment is enough to have me agree with costique and suggest you go back to "firing up".
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Here's is MSFT's chart for the past five years:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MSFT&t=5y

If anyone thought MSFT had any chance of significant growth, the stock price would reflect that fact. Instead it is on a fairly steady downward slope.

The execs at MS seem to be doing anything they can to keep the stock afloat while they cash out their options. They cut a billion from perks and benefits last time. This time they cut a billion and a half from the R&D budget to make the numbers.

The fact that they are upping the dividend shows that they know the growth is coming to an end.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Hey, I never said that I agree with the premise. I only posted the poll which puts apple as the most recognized brand name.

Hey apple is growing fast. Great. Apple may transform itself into a totally different company in 10 years. and Microsoft may find itself without its monopoly power in 10 years.

Hey, look at AT&T now to be bought out by a spin-off SBC and no longer an indipendant company after over 100 years and monopoly power!

Hey, 5 years ago would you have thought apple computer would be selling music?

Hey, that's it. carry on!

• Reply 19 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Bill Gates - "Not a natural leader" - this is funny:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/eu...eut/index.html
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Hey, I never said that I agree with the premise. I only posted the poll which puts apple as the most recognized brand name.

Hey apple is growing fast. Great. Apple may transform itself into a totally different company in 10 years. and Microsoft may find itself without its monopoly power in 10 years.

Hey, look at AT&T now to be bought out by a spin-off SBC and no longer an indipendant company after over 100 years and monopoly power!

Hey, 5 years ago would you have thought apple computer would be selling music?

Hey, that's it. carry on!

And I say to you that statement is false, Apple is not the most recognized brand name, the original item (from the horses mouth) says apple is
    Quote:

the brand with the most global impact

(whatever that means) and it's a readers poll, and should be taken as such.