Powerbook Supply Demand

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My PB that was scheduled to ship TODAY has now been delayed til 2/18/05!! Man is that a let down (but at the same time, expected). But the order status page still says 2/03/05, yet I just recieved the Apple email. I ordered my PB no more than 2 hours after the announcement, not BTO. Anyone else get the email yet?

I'm now thinking of upgrading my PB to 128 vram and 100GB HD if its gonna take that long.

I start a new semester on Feb. 14th, so I REALLY need it before then. I hope it works out.\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am

My PB that was scheduled to ship TODAY has now been delayed til 2/18/05!! Man is that a let down (but at the same time, expected). But the order status page still says 2/03/05, yet I just recieved the Apple email. I ordered my PB no more than 2 hours after the announcement, not BTO. Anyone else get the email yet?

I'm now thinking of upgrading my PB to 128 vram and 100GB HD if its gonna take that long.

I start a new semester on Feb. 14th, so I REALLY need it before then. I hope it works out.\

Must be one of the options (probably the 100MB disk), 'cos these zuckerz are shipping in quanities!
  • Reply 2 of 101
    Amazon has pushed back the ship date a couple days on the Powerbooks too.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Ordered BTO on the 2nd, supposedly shipped from Shanghai on the 4th.

Gimme a sec...*knocks on wood*

There we go.

15" 1.67,

100GB HD,

128MB VRAM,

512MB RAM

etc.

Could RAM upgrades be slowing things? Ordered Newegg at the same time and it's already arrived.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 101
    Quote:

Hmmm, I ordered my 12" Super on the second I believe (the day after the announcement) and it shipped out today (Feb. 4th). I wonder why yours is being delayed so long!? Especially since its just a "stock" model.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

Hmmm, I ordered my 12" Super on the second I believe (the day after the announcement) and it shipped out today (Feb. 4th). I wonder why yours is being delayed so long!? Especially since its just a "stock" model.

Maybe cause its the 15"?? I have no idea. But I'm really anxious to get it..hah. I'm ordering another 512 stick from newegg right now for the it, even tho I don't have it yet
  • Reply 6 of 101
    Ok. Its done. Upgraded to 100GB HD, and 128vram. Oddly enough, my ship time was only a day more than my standard.

Anyone know if they're still doing the cram and jam in the US?? I read on the australia site that they are, and I really want a 20gig iPod so I can give my mini to my mom.

edit: I also got my epson cx4600 printer/scanner a few days ago because of the rebate, but of course its defective (the machine didnt punch out the plastic for the usb port, so, I can't plug it into anything), and now I have to fight with epson to send me a new one.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    I'm sure they'll bring back the Cram & Jam in mid-July through mid-September, USA.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    I ordered a 15" Superdrive PB today... Superbowl Sunday, BTO with a 100GB HDD. My ship date is on or before Feb. 22. Ouch. Its starting to look like it will be 3 weeks before I get this thing in my hands.

I will be impatiently waiting. If not for that 100GB, I would have just gone to the store. Thankfully, I ordered iWork with it, and that will ship before Thursday... so at least I will have something to play with.

Does anyone know the cause of the waiting period? If I'm waiting because Apple is selling a lot of powerbooks, I can live with that. If I'm waiting because they are lacking the hardware... I don't like that.

Any insight?
  • Reply 9 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by SAukland

I ordered a 15" Superdrive PB today... Superbowl Sunday, BTO with a 100GB HDD. My ship date is on or before Feb. 22. Ouch. Its starting to look like it will be 3 weeks before I get this thing in my hands.

I will be impatiently waiting. If not for that 100GB, I would have just gone to the store. Thankfully, I ordered iWork with it, and that will ship before Thursday... so at least I will have something to play with.

Does anyone know the cause of the waiting period? If I'm waiting because Apple is selling a lot of powerbooks, I can live with that. If I'm waiting because they are lacking the hardware... I don't like that.

Any insight?

I've asked everytime I've called (which is a lot) and nobody has a clue. I have the same ship date tho, I ordered mine yesterday. Atleast you'll have iWork, I was gonna order it but I can't stand the fact of buying it in its first iteration. Tell me how it is when you get it.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    Quote:

I've asked everytime I've called (which is a lot) and nobody has a clue. I have the same ship date tho, I ordered mine yesterday. Atleast you'll have iWork, I was gonna order it but I can't stand the fact of buying it in its first iteration. Tell me how it is when you get it.

Ya, I went through the same motions. I'm still hearing chatter about Cells, but just couldn't resist. I have a presentation for my lit class in two weeks. Obviously, I won't get it by then, but perhaps I'll do it on Keynote 1, and hope it comes in time... or extension. Reason? "Um... Apple is backordered on powerbooks"

For now, however, I will have to occupy my time playing with photoshop.

I will just pass this to my friends.

That subtle hint will imform them as to why I'm highly agitated this week. 8)
  • Reply 11 of 101
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

I got an email today telling me mine had been shipped and was arriving in 6-7 days (Tuesday 15-Wed 16) I ordered it BTO 128MB GPU 100MB HDD
  • Reply 12 of 101
    Well, at any rate, it looks like the availability on the PB's have shifted a bit.

Both 12" models are down to 1-3 days.

15" Combo is amazingly shipping same day now.

My 15" Superdrive is still 7-10. Ouch.

17" has been bumped up to 4-6 days.

They must have gotten a bunch of 15 combos then.

Doesn't help me though. \
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by SAukland

Well, at any rate, it looks like the availability on the PB's have shifted a bit.

Both 12" models are down to 1-3 days.

15" Combo is amazingly shipping same day now.

My 15" Superdrive is still 7-10. Ouch.

17" has been bumped up to 4-6 days.

They must have gotten a bunch of 15 combos then.

Doesn't help me though. \

or everyone's ordering the 15" super drive. I can't wait for it to arrive.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

or everyone's ordering the 15" super drive. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I agree. I'm not too sure how popular the combo 15 inch is. I think the super 15" is much more popular.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    I got my 15" combo today. It was a BTO because I bumped the mem 1gig. I placed my order last Monday, Jan 31st and it shipped on Friday. It was pure torture tracking the package on the Fedex website.

BTW: I didn't get a SuperDrive because I am planning on buying a Mini with one.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Ive been playing the phone game with the local Apple store. I hate having expensive things shipped to my house because no one is ever there during the day and I dont want a computer sitting on the front porch for several hours (if they dont require a sig, which I think they might).

Anywho, the peps at Apple kept on saying "theyll be in any day now, definately next week" for weeks. So finally tonight I gave up and ordered one, oh well... I hope it doesnt take long to ship, but Im afraid that the Apple store will have them in by the time I get mine

Anywho, this will be my first laptop and Im excited but scared of damaging it. I wish Apple had a warranty for incidental damage like Dell has, that would be super. Thats something I would be willing to pay for, not like the current Applecare.

Also too, I know this is off topic, and I have a feeling that it will never happen, but I remember Gateway had a leasing program that allowed you to trade in your computer every two years or so and keep on with the lease, but you would have a new computer. I would jump on a deal like that any day! Or perhaps they could do it like their server maintenence agreement where you pay extra but get upgrades. Anywho, Im sure they will never do it, but it would be cool.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

Ive been playing the phone game with the local Apple store. I hate having expensive things shipped to my house because no one is ever there during the day and I dont want a computer sitting on the front porch for several hours (if they dont require a sig, which I think they might).

Anywho, the peps at Apple kept on saying "theyll be in any day now, definately next week" for weeks. So finally tonight I gave up and ordered one, oh well... I hope it doesnt take long to ship, but Im afraid that the Apple store will have them in by the time I get mine

Anywho, this will be my first laptop and Im excited but scared of damaging it. I wish Apple had a warranty for incidental damage like Dell has, that would be super. Thats something I would be willing to pay for, not like the current Applecare.

Also too, I know this is off topic, and I have a feeling that it will never happen, but I remember Gateway had a leasing program that allowed you to trade in your computer every two years or so and keep on with the lease, but you would have a new computer. I would jump on a deal like that any day! Or perhaps they could do it like their server maintenence agreement where you pay extra but get upgrades. Anywho, Im sure they will never do it, but it would be cool.

Apple leases them.

They do require a sig, but of course my mom signed a waiver so that they leave them. Luckily I'm usually home around 2 and they come around 3. IF IT WOULD EVER COME!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 101
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Apple leases them.

I know that they offer a standard lease, but that is something I would never do, its just not worth the finance charges. However, if they would offer an upgradeable lease, I would do it because it offers a tramendous advantage as far as depreciation is concerned. By the time your lease is up with the standard Apple lease (5 years I believe), your computer isnt even worth selling because youll get next to nothing out of it. A better option is to keep it around as a second or thrid computer or to donate it and get a tax write off.

Anywho, just my 2 cents
  • Reply 19 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I know that they offer a standard lease, but that is something I would never do, its just not worth the finance charges. However, if they would offer an upgradeable lease, I would do it because it offers a tramendous advantage as far as depreciation is concerned. By the time your lease is up with the standard Apple lease (5 years I believe), your computer isnt even worth selling because youll get next to nothing out of it. A better option is to keep it around as a second or thrid computer or to donate it and get a tax write off.

Anywho, just my 2 cents

Yeah I get what you're saying. Me? I'd never lease anything.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I got my 15" combo today. It was a BTO because I bumped the mem 1gig. I placed my order last Monday, Jan 31st and it shipped on Friday. It was pure torture tracking the package on the Fedex website.

BTW: I didn't get a SuperDrive because I am planning on buying a Mini with one.

your lucky, mine shipped on monday, but I still haven't got it. And the order status isn't updating. TNT are just holding it for some reason!

Quote:

Yeah I get what you're saying. Me? I'd never lease anything.

I like to own things!