Cell details

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

so the CoreXXX thingy from apple will each get it's own processor-core :-D

I don't think so, but this thought might have been conveyed in original poster's comments. It's my impression that these SPE cores will be assigned on the fly as needed, and data may be passed from one SPE to the next, maybe using several cores for one operation. As I said though, this is only my impression from a few things I've read.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Regarding updating an application's code for a Cell processor, an interesting observation was made over at AN, on the Power PC thread. Essentially, the idea is that existing applications only need be updated for Tiger, to use the core services. The core services in Tiger then would utilize Cell's SPEs for a dramatic performance increase. In this way, all the new and difficult coding is done by Apple when developing Tiger and core services. Cell's PPE runs the majority of an application code, which is unchanged. It seems like a workable idea to me. Only applications that use SPEs for other tasks need to have the new code.

This is just a rumor, and at best a speculation.

I would be pleased if it was true, but for the moment there is nothing official here.
  • Reply 123 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

This is just a rumor, and at best a speculation.

I would be pleased if it was true, but for the moment there is nothing official here.

I believe it was presented as speculation about how how things could work, nothing more.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    Quote:

I don't think so, but this thought might have been conveyed in original poster's comments. It's my impression that these SPE cores will be assigned on the fly as needed, and data may be passed from one SPE to the next, maybe using several cores for one operation. As I said though, this is only my impression from a few things I've read.

was just joking. the good thing seems to be that the specialized processing units can all be implemented with a very clean and efficient design and each of them could probably run at a variable multiple of the core-frequency. this would allow to configure such a processor excactly as needed for different purposes with the main view to performance or cost- or power-efficience... especially interesting would be the racer-stuff which has been discussed in rumors a few years ago. apple could even design it's own processing units which could be added to a cell-based processor.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Very interesting. Obviously the Cell was designed with current programming trends kept in mind.

Or visa-versa.
  • Reply 126 of 134
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Or visa-versa.

Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 127 of 134
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Care to elaborate?

I think Programmer implies that current (Cocoa) programming trends were designed with Cell in mind...

Please correct me if I am wrong...
  • Reply 128 of 134
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I think Programmer implies that current (Cocoa) programming trends were designed with Cell in mind...

Isn't cocoa more about the GUI, and the OO side of it.

As long as it's within the Mach-O Runtime Architecture I think it all should address whatever framework you wish. Maybe you need to use cocoa to use the frameworks, but I think you can use them otherwise, but Apple still has to supply some of the frameworks.

I'm not sure. I'm not much of a developer. I only dabble.
  • Reply 129 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Let's all take a shot at it. To me it means Tiger's core services seem to be developed with Cell in mind.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    The people at apple are that swift, smart and forward thinking, I wouldn't put it past them to put cell archetecture and plans into the mix....

in fact I bet on it!

think different and alll!
  • Reply 131 of 134
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Isn't cocoa more about the GUI, and the OO side of it.

As long as it's within the Mach-O Runtime Architecture I think it all should address whatever framework you wish. Maybe you need to use cocoa to use the frameworks, but I think you can use them otherwise, but Apple still has to supply some of the frameworks.

I'm not sure. I'm not much of a developer. I only dabble.

&

Quote:

Let's all take a shot at it. To me it means Tiger's core services seem to be developed with Cell in mind.

onlooker, I also am more dilettante than developer, I just threw Cocoa out there since it seemed to be what Apple preferred OS X devs working with.

snoopy, yeah, from speeding up iLife all the way up the (vertical) market to full-time real-time Apple Pro apps...

Imagine a Cell optimized Shake running through whatever uberXstation Apple dreams up in the future...

Imagine if Apple made a modern Cell powered version of this in the future:

SkyLab - A tale of early Apple distributed computing

Worth the read, for the thought it provokes... Meat (vision) is near the end of the article..
  • Reply 132 of 134
    I am wondering what effect Cell processors will have on future graphics cards? It seems that Cell's SPEs can take over some functionality of a graphics chip set, if I interpret what I read correctly. Will Cell permit future graphics cards to be simpler and cheaper? Could the importance of graphics card begin to decline in future, Cell based hardware?

Just curious.
  • Reply 133 of 134
    Quote:

I am wondering what effect Cell processors will have on future graphics cards? . . .

The new article posted in the other Cell thread pretty much answered my question. It looks like Cell can take on some of the GPU functions, eventually maybe most of them, leading to a smaller role for graphics cards in Cell powered hardware.

http://homepage.mac.com/dke/FileSharing2.html
  • Reply 134 of 134
    New cell article from PC stats:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1727

I don't know if it says anything new, but its interesting. Check out the part about the link between cell CPUS.