Who needs a cinema display?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Only video-junkies do - nobody else!

I wonder why Apple releases only cinema displays lately. With OS X we lose vertical display space due to the dock. That means more scrolling, which is not really what you want to do with OS X since 2D-graphics is still 7 times slower than in OS 9! Especially in Excel or Internet Browsers this is extremely uncomfortable. Those who do professional video editing or layout have a second monitor for their paletes anyway. So what is a cinema display good for?

I am happy with my 17" Apple display for the time beeing and when I need a bigger display it will definitely not be from Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Well, despite the fact that it is a widescreen display, the 20" ACD still has MORE vertical pixels than the 17" ASD (not to mention a lot more horizontal pixels). And, after 7 months with my Powerbook, I can positively say that widescreens are nice, even just surfing the web because I can fit more things on the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I do page layout on my Cinema Display. The width allows me to see a full two-page spread, with my palettes off to the side. I can also have an html document open on one side and the preview window next to it, with no overlapping. The 17-inch I have at home has the same pixel height but is not nearly as convenient, much more toggling back and forth between windows.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Who really needs a 1.42GHz dual G4? Who really needs 120GB of storage and 1GB+ of RAM? Who really needs a display with a resolution larger than 1024x768?

It's all a matter of luxury and convenience. That is not to say that people do not need these things, because a lot of people do. I use a widescreen display because 1) I can, and 2) I'm more comfortable with a wide display in front of me. It's how we naturally view the world anyway. 4:3 aspect ratios never made sense to me.

At any rate, I can have a lot of palettes open in Photoshop, and I keep them to the right. In essence, I still have the equivelant area of a normal 4:3 display for my canvas. Don't think of it as being cheated vertical space, think of it as gaining horizontal space. That's really what is happening.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    As far as the dock thing, just put it up on the left...? Am i missing something?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    OUCH!

Boy that that a quick and easy dispatching of Gulliver's comments. Well done guys. I think the general consensus is Widescreen does have it's benefits.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    For the price of a 23" Cinema display (1,999) I could buy a 20" (1299) and a 17" cinema display (699) (just for your paletes and/or preview window)!

Unless you have a 23" cinema display working on 2 A4-pages displayed side by side is impossible! Even with 12 point fonts you can hardly read anything.

But you are right in a way: If money does not matter, it is nice to have some extra pixels where you don´t need them.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I agree with the above comments on Widescreen display usage...

ANYBODY who works with Flash, Video, Audio will greatly appreciate a widescreen because they all use a timeline.

In addition, less horizontal scrolling with coding and better usage of workspace with any app that uses a bunch of palettes.

Furthermore, DVD widescreen viewing looks better on a native widescreen display.

Lets not forget the ENVY factor of your friends when they see it.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this may be true, but you will need to buy an ADC-DVI conversion box to run the displays on the same machine, not to mention the extra desk space and cable clutter... IMHO 1 23" is easier then 1 20" and 1 17" plus if you get a PB you will have to choose ONE of the displays
  • Reply 9 of 31
    On a second note, the prices Apple is offering the display at are EXCEPTIONAL!

I paid $3999 for my 22" display not long after they came out 4 years ago. Now you can get a 23" for $1999! What!

Trust me, these displays are incredible.

I should also mention that the 20-inch display for $1299 is crisper than my 22-inch. The resolution on the 20" is 1680x1050 and my resolution on my 22" is 1600x1024.

Apple will sell a lot of these. Perfect compliment to a PowerMac or PowerBook.

arondale

<a href="http://www.arondale.com"; target="_blank">www.arondale.com</a>

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: arondale ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I would wait for the price drop on SONY's 23" LCD

I am so against ADC and the 1 year warranty

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]For the price of a 23" Cinema display (1,999) I could buy a 20" (1299) and a 17" cinema display (699) (just for your paletes and/or preview window)!<hr></blockquote>

Depending on your workflow... many people hate to have to go from display to display hundreds of times a day. One large display is much better for many people. Just choose the best option for you. With the new pricing, you really can't go wrong either way.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    mmmmmm, spanning....yum...g
  • Reply 13 of 31
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    ...because a 23" cinema display says "hey baby! i have a big penis!"

that said, i have no need for a cinema display, but i sure as hell want one... so jack, if you're listening, i believe i have a birthday coming up...
  • Reply 14 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>this may be true, but you will need to buy an ADC-DVI conversion box to run the displays on the same machine, not to mention the extra desk space and cable clutter...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really love these new monitors, and have a couple of questions about them: will Apple's ADC to DVI connector cable for US $39 work instead of a "conversion box" (assuming you had an open DVI port)? Also, with said connector cable, could you hook up a PC with DVI-out to them? If so, Apple should try and sell them to the PC market, a la iPod, maybe even re-packaging them.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Just wanted to mention a couple of things:

1) the cinema display (and all apple lcds) are much easier on the eyes.

2) it's a lot less bulky than two 20" monitors or what not.

3) no radiation.

Makes a difference to me. I'd like the see the price drop $1000, but I can see a lot of uses for a screen that big. It's not aimed at consumers and so whining about it to me seems a bit pointless.

[quote]Originally posted by Gulliver:

<strong>For the price of a 23" Cinema display (1,999) I could buy a 20" (1299) and a 17" cinema display (699) (just for your paletes and/or preview window)!

Unless you have a 23" cinema display working on 2 A4-pages displayed side by side is impossible! Even with 12 point fonts you can hardly read anything.

But you are right in a way: If money does not matter, it is nice to have some extra pixels where you don´t need them.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 16 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by CrazyHorse:

<strong>

I really love these new monitors, and have a couple of questions about them: will Apple's ADC to DVI connector cable for US $39 work instead of a "conversion box" (assuming you had an open DVI port)? Also, with said connector cable, could you hook up a PC with DVI-out to them? If so, Apple should try and sell them to the PC market, a la iPod, maybe even re-packaging them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the $39 connector cable you mention is for connecting an older DVI Apple monitor to a newer Power Mac with an ADC port.

If you want to connect a current ADC Monitor to a computer's DVI port, then you need the $99 adaptor because you need the box to split the ADC's three signals: DVI, USB, and power.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by roo:

<strong>...because a 23" cinema display says "hey baby! i have a big penis!"

that said, i have no need for a cinema display, but i sure as hell want one... so jack, if you're listening, i believe i have a birthday coming up... </strong><hr></blockquote>

So, to make up for jack's lacking penis, you want a big display?

I'm so sorry.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have an Administrator position open. Please send me your applications.

Thanks.

• Reply 19 of 31
    That's right, folks. James is retiring.

*cough*
  • Reply 20 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Bite me.

And, by the way, I need a Cinema Display, so if y'all would be good enough to pass the hat...