Apple extends wait times for iPod photo models

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Following a slew of reports which indicate that changes are on the way to Apple's iPod product line, multiple sources say Apple has requested some dealers return their stock of iPod photo players (both 40GB and 60GB) to the company's supply depots. No further instructions were provided to the dealers. Apple also made the same request in regards to the U2 iPod Special Edition. Furthermore, AppleInsider forum members note that their local Apple stores are curiously lacking iPod photos from their planograms. iPod models were previously in good supply. Earlier today, it was also noted that the Apple online store had pushed back wait times of both iPod photo models. Meanwhile, an overseas Motorola product manager let it slip that Apple will soon introduce an iPod with Bluetooth wireless capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

... Sales of the color-display enabled iPod photos have lagged behind lower priced models

True, I'm sure, though not an indication of a problem. I can't imagine ANY scenario in which the super-capacity, most expensive players in the lineup would have just as wide an audience as the lower-priced 5000-song iPods and Minis. So they'll always "lag behind" just like the 40 GB lags behind the 20.

It would be cool to see all-color iPods--even the 20--soon! TV-out and photo functions might be only on the 40 and 60. Or maybe ALL "white iPods" will be iPod Photos.

There would be no "plain iPod" just like there's no "plain Macintosh" anymore. iPods would come in three models: Shuffle, Mini, and Photo.

It may be too soon for an all-color line-up, but I can't imagine the popular 20 being the ONLY non-color model for long.

Then again, I'm still skeptical about color Minis so soon... it would be too cool to be true
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Curiously, the Austin Apple store hand nary an iPod Photo on display. They had Minis and Shuffles, but no Photos. Hmmmm...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    This is crap, I waited through 3G's of iPod's to get the right one. My parents got the me the iPod Photo 40GB for XMas (total surprise too..) and now I don't even get to have the latest and greatest iPod for 2 months....this blows. There has got to be something I can do....
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Curiously, the Austin Apple store hand nary an iPod Photo on display. They had Minis and Shuffles, but no Photos. Hmmmm...

Same with Chestnut Hill Apple Store. Then again the guys at the store know nothing more about product announcements than any of us do, or atleast they pretend not to.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

There has got to be something I can do....

How about stop complaining and enjoy your great new (free) iPod photo? Not to be snarky but c'mon, did you want it as a status symbol or for the music and photos and all? Like the song says: "Don't worry, be happy."

Besides this is how things go with Apple products...there's always new stuff so, you know, better get used to it. In my opinion it doesn't make the older stuff any less good.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

This is crap, I waited through 3G's of iPod's to get the right one. My parents got the me the iPod Photo 40GB for XMas (total surprise too..) and now I don't even get to have the latest and greatest iPod for 2 months....this blows. There has got to be something I can do....

... yes, launch a class action suite against Apple for "excessive progress" ... in fact, make the terms of the lawsuit require that Apple actually introduce worse and worse hardware as time progresses, so that the iPod you have is the greatest one ever made. then you can run around bragging to all your friends forever, and they'll all pump up your ego by saying how cool you must be to own such a cool ipod.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottylad

... yes, launch a class action suite against Apple for "excessive progress" ... in fact, make the terms of the lawsuit require that Apple actually introduce worse and worse hardware as time progresses, so that the iPod you have is the greatest one ever made. then you can run around bragging to all your friends forever, and they'll all pump up your ego by saying how cool you must be to own such a cool ipod.

• Reply 8 of 23
    Wow I would have never thought that many people would think I'm being serious. I know technology changes, apparently the 4 of you that made comments don't realize that..... I realized the moment I bought my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B that it would be out of date along with the other $7,000 I have spent on Apple Products the past 2 years now..... I just said what I did anticipating for some to say noobie to say that, but then again it was the noobies that commented...

oh and I have seen worse lawsuits scottylad
  • Reply 9 of 23
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Following a slew of reports which indicate that changes are on the way to Apple's iPod product line, multiple sources say Apple has requested some dealers return their stock of iPod photo players (both 40GB and 60GB) to the company's supply depots. No further instructions were provided to the dealers. Apple also made the same request in regards to the U2 iPod Special Edition. Furthermore, AppleInsider forum members note that their local Apple stores are curiously lacking iPod photos from their planograms. iPod models were previously in good supply. Earlier today, it was also noted that the Apple online store had pushed back wait times of both iPod photo models. Meanwhile, an overseas Motorola product manager let it slip that Apple will soon introduce an iPod with Bluetooth wireless capabilities.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Wow I would have never thought that many people would think I'm being serious.

Nice cover. You might have been joking about there being "something I can do," but I'm pretty sure you were serious about being pissed that Apple's coming out with something new. Admit it, you really do care about having the latest.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan1234

Nice cover. You might have been joking about there being "something I can do," but I'm pretty sure you were serious about being pissed that Apple's coming out with something new. Admit it, you really do care about having the latest.

Everyone get's mad when they get something and it's replaced a couple months later but that's the way it goes. I am a Comp Sci major so I know the industry changes weekly. I honestly said the whole thing as a joke, and I thought people would pick up on that and have a few good laughs about it, but apparently no one did. If you don't believe me go read this post I made about 10.3.9 coming out....
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

I waited through 3G's of iPod's to get the right one.

Everyone get's mad

I am a Comp Sci major

Well, you're obviously not an English major.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Well, you're obviously not an English major.

Well obviously you're the funny guy here. I forget some people are slow, so let me rephrase it all for you.

I waited through 3 Generation's of iPod's to get the right one (ie iPod).

Comp Sci

Computer Science.

Everyone get's mad

Everyone is getting mad

(so sorry one typo/shorthand never seen you do that before Ensign....yeah right...)

Now go get back on the short bus...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Wow, you actually thought I didn't understand what you were saying. Astonishing.

News flash: I was pointing out your egregiously ignorant use of apostrophes. They are NOT typos.

Are your Comp Sci professors aware you are unfamiliar with 4th grade grammar? If not, they can just wait for your term paper.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Wow, you actually thought I didn't understand what you were saying. Astonishing.

News flash: I was pointing out your egregiously ignorant use of apostrophes. They are NOT typos.

Are your Comp Sci professors aware you are unfamiliar with 4th grade grammar? If not, they can just wait for your term paper.

Thank you for bringing this point to my attention. Could it also be the fact I'm too lazy to type grammatically correct when I'm posting on a forum? Nice word though, that is definitely word of the day.

Also, I am close to completing my all my core computer science classes and I might add that I have finished in the top percentile in each class. As well I realize that my use of apostrophes tends to be a bit excessive but like I said before if I had known that my grammar was going to be critiqued by you, I would have surely included big words to make myself sound more intelligent. My apologizes if I have in some miniscule way offended someone reading this post my merely making a comical statement to this otherwise lackluster post.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Thank you for bringing this point to my attention. Could it also be the fact I'm too lazy to type grammatically correct when I'm posting on a forum? Nice word though, that is definitely word of the day.

Also, I am close to completing my all my core computer science classes and I might add that I have finished in the top percentile in each class. As well I realize that my use of apostrophes tends to be a bit excessive but like I said before if I had known that my grammar was going to be critiqued by you, I would have surely included big words to make myself sound more intelligent. My apologizes if I have in some miniscule way offended someone reading this post my merely making a comical statement to this otherwise lackluster post.

No worries, 04. You don't need to apologize. I (and I'm sure others too) enjoyed the exchanges from the beginning.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Come on guys, knock it off.

Next post either by or against O4BlackWRX on the subject of his grammar or indeed anything related to him gets the poster on the road to a three day vacation. Comprende?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Let me reply being a Mechanical Engineer who worked on a second B.S. in Computer Science before working in Silicon Valley:

Who gives a shit that you waited through three generations of iPods until they released one with the specifications that satisfy your 'needs'?

And short-hand is not becoming of a Software Developer--the days of cryptic coding to preserve your job are long since gone.

Quote:

Well obviously you're the funny guy here. I forget some people are slow, so let me rephrase it all for you.

I waited through 3 Generation's of iPod's to get the right one (ie iPod).

Comp Sci

Computer Science.

Everyone get's mad

Everyone is getting mad

(so sorry one typo/shorthand never seen you do that before Ensign....yeah right...)

Now go get back on the short bus...

• Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, an overseas Motorola product manager let it slip that Apple will soon introduce an iPod with Bluetooth wireless capabilities.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Meanwhile, a hot dog stand clerk who looked like Saddam Hussein let it slip that Apple will soon introduce an iPod with a built-in spatula.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Strike one.