Tiger: R.I.P. Rainbow Spinning Wheel of Death?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I really hate that ?Rainbow Spinning Wheel of Death?; it seems to show up more and more with every update to Panther. My question to any current Tiger developer or pre-viewer, is Tiger going to have a better Finder? I?m seriously going to ditch OSX if this precedes, let?s here it, ?NO MORE LEGACY CRAP, NO MORE LEGACY CRAP?. If you?re UNIX, be UNIX, stop pretending to be a Jack-of-all-trades OSX!
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 53
    Finders not so bad, just so long as you don't want to search for anything (I prefer the rest of the file manager to windows explorer and nautilus anyway). I have a feeling that searching with finder will become redundant with the indexing of spotlight - fingers crossed!!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Relic

    I really hate that ?Rainbow Spinning Wheel of Death?; it seems to show up more and more with every update to Panther. My question to any current Tiger developer or pre-viewer, is Tiger going to have a better Finder? I?m seriously going to ditch OSX if this precedes, let?s here it, ?NO MORE LEGACY CRAP, NO MORE LEGACY CRAP?. If you?re UNIX, be UNIX, stop pretending to be a Jack-of-all-trades OSX!



    Oh, please. You are threatening to stop using pirated software if Apple doesn't change it to please you? I wish you luck.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Oh, please. You are threatening to stop using pirated software if Apple doesn't change it to please you? I wish you luck.



  • Reply 4 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *sigh* What is it with threads today taking left turns into lala land at the drop of a hat? Relic, let it go. Mr. Me, this is me giving you the mod glare.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    I wouldn't care as much if they changed the beachball back to that cool blue thingy they had in that beta.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BRussell





    +1
  • Reply 7 of 53
    dobbydobby Posts: 794member
    I would prefer a window popping up with a detailed description of the error like windows has eg.



    "General Protection Error"

    or

    "Syntax Error"



    Those guys really have it made!





    Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    Just friggen make Safari kick ass. Its slow and slow, oh, and its slow.



    What kind of a frikken web browser bogs down a 1.33GHz 1.25GB G4 because of a big pull down menu with hundreds of items? And GIFS taking 100% processor? WTF is that all about???



    Come on Apple... get a life
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZO

    Just friggen make Safari kick ass. Its slow and slow, oh, and its slow.



    What kind of a frikken web browser bogs down a 1.33GHz 1.25GB G4 because of a big pull down menu with hundreds of items? And GIFS taking 100% processor? WTF is that all about???



    Come on Apple... get a life




    +1
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZO

    Just friggen make Safari kick ass. Its slow and slow, oh, and its slow.



    What kind of a frikken web browser bogs down a 1.33GHz 1.25GB G4 because of a big pull down menu with hundreds of items? And GIFS taking 100% processor? WTF is that all about???



    Come on Apple... get a life




    I could not agree with you more! I love my Apples but using the internet is much slower than my windows laptop.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally posted by dobby

    I would prefer a window popping up with a detailed description of the error like windows has eg.



    "General Protection Error"

    or

    "Syntax Error"



    Those guys really have it made!





    Dobby.




    lol, though to be fair that really doesn't happen anymore.



    but they were a kind of source of "amusement" in the win95 days...
  • Reply 12 of 53
    The funniest Windows error I've seen with my eyes was:



    "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gene Clean

    The funniest Windows error I've seen with my eyes was:



    "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"




    yeah, that was a classic
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Are you serious?



    I never saw that error.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gene Clean

    The funniest Windows error I've seen with my eyes was:



    "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"




    I got that one late last Friday. I was so tired I couldn't stop laughing, with the owners of the machine staring at me. Thanks, Bill.



    --B
  • Reply 16 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bergz

    I got that one late last Friday. I was so tired I couldn't stop laughing, with the owners of the machine staring at me. Thanks, Bill.



    --B




    That error is brilliant!!



    The spinning beach ball doesn't mean the computer has crashed just that's it's doing something.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bergz

    I got that one late last Friday. I was so tired I couldn't stop laughing, with the owners of the machine staring at me. Thanks, Bill.



    --B




    I get that a lot when I try to boot into the bios or start windoes in safe mode, rapid-fireing on one of the f-keys can f*** things up on an x86 pc with PS/2 KB.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    That error is brilliant!!



    The spinning beach ball doesn't mean the computer has crashed just that's it's doing something.




    That's what is should represent; however, it's basically an excuse to confiscate your cursor to hide the fact that the current application would be completely unresponsive if you tried to click on something.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hide?



    It's called *feedback*. Trust me, you'd be much more upset if you clicked and nothing happened.



    Also, the beachball changes back to a cursor when you place it over an application window (or Desktop) where that app *isn't* busy. ie, you can go to another app and continue working while the first one is busy.



    Beachball just says "Look, I'm really really busy right now. Try another app for a moment while I get my crap together."
  • Reply 20 of 53
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    Also, the beachball changes back to a cursor when you place it over an application window (or Desktop) where that app *isn't* busy. ie, you can go to another app and continue working while the first one is busy.



    I've been trying to convince my grandmother of this for weeks, and can't get her to stop restarting the machine every time safari stalls. Old habits...



    --B
Sign In or Register to comment.