Tiger: R.I.P. Rainbow Spinning Wheel of Death?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hide?

It's called *feedback*. Trust me, you'd be much more upset if you clicked and nothing happened.

Also, the beachball changes back to a cursor when you place it over an application window (or Desktop) where that app *isn't* busy. ie, you can go to another app and continue working while the first one is busy.

Beachball just says "Look, I'm really really busy right now. Try another app for a moment while I get my crap together."

the beach ball really doesn't annoy me. It's like the clock in OS 9 and the clock in Windows. Windows is much less responsive than Mac OS X.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

the beach ball really doesn't annoy me. It's like the clock in OS 9 and the clock in Windows. Windows is much less responsive than Mac OS X.

With all of OSX's technology, I just wish something "cooler" could happen instead of the beachball - I WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED! At LEAST have a dancing naked lady.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

With all of OSX's technology, I just wish something "cooler" could happen instead of the beachball - I WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED! At LEAST have a dancing naked lady.

or show some pr0n
  • Reply 24 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I've been trying to convince my grandmother of this for weeks, and can't get her to stop restarting the machine every time safari stalls. Old habits...

ow

Ow

OW!!!

Oh, *PLEASE* tell me you're kidding. *twitch* Gah.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    The window of the busy app should have a gray overlay saying "This application is busy, go screw around in another application until it's ready", the busy app will fade out/zoom up off the screen Dashboard style onto a new layer called WaitingRoom then automatically launch Chess.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

The window of the busy app should have a gray overlay saying "This application is busy, go screw around in another application until it's ready", the busy app will fade out/zoom up off the screen Dashboard style onto a new layer called WaitingRoom then automatically launch Chess.

...or an iphoto slideshow of tasteful watercolour landscapes to THAT classical guitar piece
  • Reply 27 of 53
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Oh, *PLEASE* tell me you're kidding. *twitch* Gah.

The woman's 80. Very hip to the new technologies, considering. But yeah, hard to get certain concepts through.

--B
  • Reply 28 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Hide?

It's called *feedback*. Trust me, you'd be much more upset if you clicked and nothing happened.

Also, the beachball changes back to a cursor when you place it over an application window (or Desktop) where that app *isn't* busy. ie, you can go to another app and continue working while the first one is busy.

Beachball just says "Look, I'm really really busy right now. Try another app for a moment while I get my crap together."

Busy doing what, the ball should only come up in extreme conditions, like rebooting. Not because a page is reloading or I held the mouse button to long, bad threading, shitty finder! I would much rather see a computer prompt like this, "Gimme a sec boss smoking crack right now, be with you in a moment" instead of being hypnotized with a delusion of function.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Busy doing what, the ball should only come up in extreme conditions, like rebooting. Not because a page is reloading or I held the mouse button to long, bad threading, shitty finder! I would much rather see a computer prompt like this, "Gimme a sec boss smoking crack right now, be with you in a moment" instead of being hypnotized with a delusion of function.

all OSs have a loading/busy cursor. They have to so you know it's doing what you asked. An OS with no feedback would be impossible.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

all OSs have a loading/busy cursor. They have to so you know it's doing what you asked. An OS with no feedback would be impossible.

Yes yes, this is fully understood, but sometiimes it's the Energizer Spinny Ball, It keeps going and going and going and going...... I think it looses it's a place on the page. Get it page, paging, aaah never mind, moving on.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Its frustrating when the rainbow is going on for 30 seconds or so, and you can see: no significant disk access, no sigificant ram access, no significant processor access. It's just like: well, we've screwed up something, but let's wait a bit here before we admit it. Happens way too often and I wouldn't miss it.

Maybe they need a new type of cursor to indicate: we can't figure out how to mount/unmount x, but you can still do stuff while we're messing around with it.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by failedmathematician

Its frustrating when the rainbow is going on for 30 seconds or so, and you can see: no significant disk access, no sigificant ram access, no significant processor access. It's just like: well, we've screwed up something, but let's wait a bit here before we admit it. Happens way too often and I wouldn't miss it.

Maybe they need a new type of cursor to indicate: we can't figure out how to mount/unmount x, but you can still do stuff while we're messing around with it.

Yes, finally someone else who?s not struck with a fan boy cloud of delusion. This is a real issue and not make believe or words of a so-called troll, now fixit Apple!
  • Reply 33 of 53
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Are you serious?

I never saw that error.

If you used a USB keyboard and an older PC you would see this frequently at startup.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yes, finally someone else who?s not struck with a fan boy cloud of delusion. This is a real issue and not make believe or words of a so-called troll, now fixit Apple!

Okay, so let me get this straight... instead of a cursor that tells you 'I'm currently kind of stuck here, you may want to go do something else while I get my act together', you want a brand new spanking cursor that tells you 'I'm currently kind of stuck here, you may want to go do something else while I get my act together'.

• Reply 35 of 53
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Sounds to me like what is really desired is a "waiting for the network" cursor. I can handle the rainbow like 90% of the time, but sometimes the Finder goes to town when my cable modem craps out.

The Finder thinks its still online because it has an active connection and an IP from my Airport basestation, but there's no way it will be able to make an outside connection. It just thinks for a while waiting to see if the network starts working or it times out, whichever is first. This is usually like 2 minutes. If I didn't have an active connection it would abort far more early.

I think this situation should have another cursor or a popup or something so I can at least click "disconnect" or something and abort this timeout. Keeping it a modal operation locks me out of the Finder while I wait for it to give up.

Other than network mounts, my rainbow cursors are few, far between, and justified.

• Reply 36 of 53
    Okay, that's a totally separate issue there.

The rainbow wheel is an OS level cursor change that is done when an app stops responding to events. It's not (usually) directly controlled by the app.

What you want is a *FINDER* level feedback mechanism that says "er, hold on, the network seems to be borked, I'm going to keep trying, but this may take a bit"

That seems reasonable, but it has *ZIP* to do with the rainbow wheel, or that cursor popping up in other apps. It is a very specific case in one app.

I agree that the Finder's ability to handle network wonkiness is really pretty sad. (Single-thread doesn't bloody well help either. ) Recognize, however, that this has jack all to do with the rainbow cursor in general.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

I agree that the Finder's ability to handle network wonkiness is really pretty sad. (Single-thread doesn't bloody well help either. )

You're giving the Finder far less credit than it deserves. It's triple-threaded! It's just that two threads block when the main thread is doing something. Like getting stuck trying to read something off the network for five minutes. I've mentioned this before... in displaying folders over crappy connections, the OS X Finder blocks on stuff like pread() for longer than it takes the OS 9 Finder to display the whole folder and start copying a file. Maybe some of the problem is in the libraries the finder uses? I'm not qualified to say.

The Finder needs a lot more than just better threading anyway. With some of the technologies coming along in Tiger, it seems to me that there's a great deal of potential in combining fast, dynamic searching of a wide range of metadata with traditional, hierarchical organisation in an up-to-date, pragmatic design. Smart folders could just be the beginning. Anyway, I wish I were really into HCI? if I did, I might have something specific to say. Uhh Finder sucks, kthxbox.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    I think they should allow you change the cursor and beach ball. I really like the spinning blue ball in Maple 9.5
  • Reply 39 of 53
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Are you serious?

I never saw that error.

That's a real error from the MS-DOS days. Funny as hell.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

The window of the busy app should have a gray overlay saying "This application is busy, go screw around in another application until it's ready", the busy app will fade out...

That's actually a pretty damn cool idea. Without the "screw around" bit, that is. Just fade the app's opacity down about halfway, or just darken it like when using Expose.

Quote:

...zoom up off the screen Dashboard style onto a new layer called WaitingRoom then automatically launch Chess.

Okay. That's a bit extreme, perhaps.