Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.3.9 7W72

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has seeded the latest beta and maintenance release to its Panther OS, which will pack over 30 bug fixes and improvements.

As previously anticipated, Apple on Friday seeded its developers with the first build of Mac OS X 10.3.9, the next in a series of maintenance releases to its Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" operating system.

The system update is being distributed as a 29.5MB image and is currently at build 7W72.

In a seed note accompanying the latest build, Apple reportedly told developers to focus their testing efforts in the following areas: Bluetooth, DVD Player, FireWire devices, Modems (both internal and external), Networking, Printing, Safari, Terminal and USB devices. The company also asked that developers assess the 'general system usability and reliability.'

Apple also listed approximately 30 areas of change and enhancement that are already reflected in build 7W72. Some of these improvements include various video driver fixes, improved Directory Services performance, Java garbage collection optimization, 'wake from sleep' performance improvements, and a new version of the Mac OS X kernel (7.9.0).

Mac OS X 10.3.9 will also usher in bug fixes to the following components: Automounter, Object Exchange over Bluetooth, Fax and modem, FireWire OHCI software, Password server slapd, SmartcardServices compatibility, setkey command line tool, Navigation Services, USB FHCI, and USB 2.0 hard drive mounting.

Sources tell AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.3.9 is slated for a release in late March or early April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    I wish they would fix my iMac G4 NEVER automatically going to sleep anymore since around 10.3.4 or so. I have to manually push the power button to make it sleep, and changing the settings in preferences has no effect at all.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

I wish they would fix my iMac G4 NEVER automatically going to sleep anymore since around 10.3.4 or so. I have to manually push the power button to make it sleep, and changing the settings in preferences has no effect at all.

Maybe you have some sort of USB or FireWire device attached that keeps it from going to sleep?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    It almost seems like they intentionally left bugs in the OS for 3.8 so that they could make a 3.9 before they released 4.0.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Maybe you have some sort of USB or FireWire device attached that keeps it from going to sleep?

Just my iPod dock and a keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The company also asked that developers asses the 'general system usability and reliability.'

you said 'asses' hahaha
  • Reply 6 of 42
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    so the next incremental update after 10.3.9 is 10.4 (Tiger)...otherwiseit'll be 10.3.9.1 and that will start sounding like the old sun solaris releases of yesteryear
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Or 10.3.10.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    The next would be 10.3.10 - correct me if I´m wrong :-)
  • Reply 9 of 42
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    It would be nice if they fixed the darn finder before we get to OS XI
  • Reply 10 of 42
    And while they're at it, perhaps they can fix Safari from taking up 400 MB of real memory after 20 minutes of use.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you said 'asses' hahaha

• Reply 12 of 42
    10.3.9 totally confirms a WWDC Tiger release.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Wow, I didn't know Safari was a resource hog. But now that you mention this I always wondered why my hard disk started churning after about two hours of heavy surfing. Never affected performance on my PowerBook though.

Quote:

And while they're at it, perhaps they can fix Safari from taking up 400 MB of real memory after 20 minutes of use.

• Reply 14 of 42
    You can just empty Safari's cache or quit and re-launch Safari and it'll drop back down. If you browse sites with lots of big images, it'll keep all of that cached in ram.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I've run into this on my iMac G5 as well. I can manually put it to sleep but it won't auto sleep no matter what I do. I only have keyboard, mouse & ethernet connected.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Sources tell AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.3.9 is slated for a release in late March or early April. [/B]

Looks like Tiger will be more towards mid 2005.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    My 17" iMac G4 has always slept correctly, and is now running 10.3.8 (7U16).
  • Reply 18 of 42
    I **hope** they fix the bug that causes the mouse cursor to freeze (requiring a restart) if the mouse gets moved while logging out. This happens on every one of my computers since 10.3.2, but strangely I have never seen anyone else mention this bug. Is anyone else able to reproduce it?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Never seen or heard of such a bug, JDraden. Perhaps you're cursed.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JDraden

I **hope** they fix the bug that causes the mouse cursor to freeze (requiring a restart) if the mouse gets moved while logging out. This happens on every one of my computers since 10.3.2, but strangely I have never seen anyone else mention this bug. Is anyone else able to reproduce it?

Yeah, I've seen this a couple of times on my Powerbook. I even get the one where the mouse pointer disappears after reboot, love that. Don't feel bad if know one else comes forward with their Mac issues, sometimes I think Apple users live in a cloud of self delusion.