Anecdotal evidence of mini sales

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In Edmonton Alberta the Compusmart store has expanded their Mac line

while the PC space allotted is much the same. I am told by the salesman

who uses and specializes in Macs that the mini is sold out every time a shipment comes in. His ESTIMATE is that 40 percent of mini's are going to current PC users.

It is difficult to match professional analysts' channel checks' by oneself but a forum such as this could do a pretty good job if enough members respond. Have you any anecdotal evidence of mini sales? And are they switchers, add on er's or Current Mac users?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    When I bought mine, the sales guy said they were going as fast as they were coming in. He also said that quite a few of them were first time mac buyers. If the rumors are true, Best Buy and Circuit City might start selling these, which says a lot about the demand.

As for why people are getting them, I think it's to test the waters. Long time PC users aren't sure if a mac will do the job for them, but some have always wanted to give one a try. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    In the Chicago (NoMi) store I overheard a trader-type talking to his wife on his mobile "asking" her if she thought it would be o.k. if he bought it, he explained the monitor and keyboard from their P/C could be used yadda yadda.......the funny thing was he was sitting at the genius bar having it configured.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    mini's are HARD to keep in stock. If Apple can get the production up and keep the mini somewhat current with market trends they'll have a nice boost. Marketshare might not mean everything but to potential developers having a boatload of minis out there gives them more opportunities. Kudos Apple for pulling your head out.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

mini's are HARD to keep in stock. If Apple can get the production up and keep the mini somewhat current with market trends they'll have a nice boost. Marketshare might not mean everything but to potential developers having a boatload of minis out there gives them more opportunities. Kudos Apple for pulling your head out.

yes, the mini is an excellent product. and it really hasn't been marketed at all. I really hope Apple has plans to attack at this part of the market. They have a decent first entry. Now they need to expand, market and improve upon.

As good as the mini is, I have a hard time recommending it because of the RAM issue.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    i know one person with it. got it for OS X.

Many others have looked into macs because of him, looking for better models-powerbooks, imacs hopefully ill get my hands on one sometime soon
  • Reply 6 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mean the RAM that you can upgrade easily???

You can't be serious that you'd not recommend a mini because of *that*.

"I'm sorry, I can't recommend an Accord, you have to buy floor mats."
  • Reply 7 of 71
    he may be referring to it only supports one gig and has only one slot. two slots would be nicer and supporting two gigs and it would run a lot better
  • Reply 8 of 71

It's a low-end consumer machine, and you think that 1GB isn't enough, and that 2GB will make it run 'a lot better'?

I don't suppose you have any hard evidence to back this up...
  • Reply 9 of 71
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

In Edmonton Alberta the Compusmart store has expanded their Mac line

while the PC space allotted is much the same. I am told by the salesman

who uses and specializes in Macs that the mini is sold out every time a shipment comes in. His ESTIMATE is that 40 percent of mini's are going to current PC users.

It is difficult to match professional analysts' channel checks' by oneself but a forum such as this could do a pretty good job if enough members respond. Have you any anecdotal evidence of mini sales? And are they switchers, add on er's or Current Mac users?

The Amazon view is not so rosy - The two models of mini were number #1 and #4 in the computer sales list a few weeks ago, now they are #12 and #23.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...188934-2036852

But the iBooks and powerbooks seem to be doing quite well.

Maybe the low ranking is just because they can't make enough of the units. Both are listed as "In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come, first served."
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You mean the RAM that you can upgrade easily???

You can't be serious that you'd not recommend a mini because of *that*.

"I'm sorry, I can't recommend an Accord, you have to buy floor mats."

yes, that whole part about shipping with 256MB standard in a single slot. The machine being highly recommended to be brought in to be updated and no word on whether its officlally allowed to upgrade yourself. the fact that an upgrade is neccessary straight out of the box. and don't tell me its not. even apple knows it. here's some advice, go see how much ram any apple demo model has in their own stores. or how about the fact you have to waste 256MB RAM you just paid for in order to upgrade it to something useful. Yes, OS X is usable with 256MB. But barely. I'd call it a very miserable experience. Having just safari and iChat open will quickly use up more than the available memory.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

hey remember, you're an admin not a dick

yes, that whole part about shipping with 256MB standard in a single slot. The machine being highly recommended to be brought in to be updated and no word on whether its officlally allowed to upgrade yourself. the fact that an upgrade is neccessary straight out of the box. and don't tell me its not. even apple knows it. here's some advice, go see how much ram any apple demo model has in their own stores. or how about the fact you have to waste 256MB RAM you just paid for in order to upgrade it to something useful. Yes, OS X is usable with 256MB. But barely. I'd call it a very miserable experience. Having just safari and iChat open will quickly use up more than the available memory.

Stop trying to be a prick. There are some points to argue and there are others that just make you look like an apologist asshole.

Make a silly comment, I'll call you on it. *shrug* If you want to continue this, PM me. Further public annoyances like this will be deleted.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Ready to stop with the attacks that are prepping you for a vacation then, are you?

The Mac mini can in fact be upgraded by the user. Officially. Officially, also, if you break anything while doing so, you're SOL. Warrantee remains in place if you upgrade it successfully, but if you bust it, you're on your own. That's the OFFICIAL position, and has been fairly publicly known, and more to the point, available to anyone who called a Genius Bar or looked around the web a bit.

The Mac mini is, in your own words, 'an excellent product'. The amount of RAM is a) a small part of the entire product, b) a user-expandable option, c) easily upgraded, d) cheaply.

Therefore, in my estimation, saying that you're unwilling to recommend 'an excellent product' because of one detail that is easily remedied for little cost is, indeed, silly. I stand by that opinion. If you have a problem with that, explain why it's not silly.

Now, you've been allowed a full on rant post where you attacked a mod. I won't even bother deleting it, because frankly, it's a good example of how to get yourself in trouble going against the posting guidelines. You are toeing the line. One more post like that, and you're on vacation, no further warnings, no further commentary. Got it? Stick to content.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:

Ready to stop with the attacks that are prepping you for a vacation then, are you?

The Mac mini can in fact be upgraded by the user. Officially. Officially, also, if you break anything while doing so, you're SOL. Warrantee remains in place if you upgrade it successfully, but if you bust it, you're on your own. That's the OFFICIAL position, and has been fairly publicly known, and more to the point, available to anyone who called a Genius Bar or looked around the web a bit.

The Mac mini is, in your own words, 'an excellent product'. The amount of RAM is a) a small part of the entire product, b) a user-expandable option, c) easily upgraded, d) cheaply.

Therefore, in my estimation, saying that you're unwilling to recommend 'an excellent product' because of one detail that is easily remedied for little cost is, indeed, silly. I stand by that opinion. If you have a problem with that, explain why it's not silly.

Now, you've been allowed a full on rant post where you attacked a mod. I won't even bother deleting it, because frankly, it's a good example of how to get yourself in trouble going against the posting guidelines. You are toeing the line. One more post like that, and you're on vacation, no further

warnings, no further commentary. Got it? Stick to content.

1. Find official word, on Apple's website and in the package of the mac mini that it is user upgradable for me.

2. Dispute the fact that 256MB is not usable

3. Dispute the fact that Apple demos all machines in their stores with a minimum of 512MB RAM if not 1GB.

4. Dispute the fact that prying open a case is not "an easy" and straightforward process. Especially when there is no documentation provided with the product about doing so. Dispute the fact that there are no instructions provided on opening the case and upgrading the ram. Actually, why don't you tell me what it says about upgrading the ram in the box since its so easy and straightfoward.

5. Dispute the fact that the 256MB RAM you just paid for is wasted when you are forced to upgrade for acceptable performance

6. Dispute the fact that it reflects very poorly on Apple if a user does not upgrade and experience lackluster performance and slowdowns. You have said countless times yourself when arguing against expandable macs that most users never open their case and never upgrade. Therefore the initial experience in most cases is the final experience and the dealbreaker.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    the above mod---

maxing out the ram isnt exactly cheap am i wrong?
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

the above mod---

maxing out the ram isnt exactly cheap am i wrong?

Depends - if you buy it from Apple, it's pricey, but it's always been that way. If you buy it 3rd party, you can get the 1GB for as low as 1/3 of their insane $325, but quality RAM, such as from Crucial, runs $217. (Their 512 stick is $71, plus you still have to install it, so the 512 from Apple at $75 is actually a pretty good deal for most folks.)

Apple has yet to validate the Mac mini for 2GB sticks, so 1GB is the official max.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

btw, it's really cute how you keep referring to a ban as a "vacation". man, you need to really get a life if that's how lame you have become.

Vacation, ban, whatever you want to call it, you've got it.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:

Depends - if you buy it from Apple, it's pricey, but it's always been that way. If you buy it 3rd party, you can get the 1GB for as low as 1/3 of their insane $325, but quality RAM, such as from Crucial, runs $217. (Their 512 stick is $71, plus you still have to install it, so the 512 from Apple at $75 is actually a pretty good deal for most folks.)

Apple has yet to validate the Mac mini for 2GB sticks, so 1GB is the official max.

do you see this happening? what really needs to be done to get 2gb in there?
  • Reply 18 of 71
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

it wont change the fact that you look like a pathetic fool here [/B]

Looking back on the post history, I think that you jumped off that cliff first, my dear applenut.

Can we get back to talking about how the mini is going to take over the world?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

do you see this happening? what really needs to be done to get 2gb in there?

It'll happen eventually, I know that they're doing the testing now. Basically, it just boils down to making sure that the mini's mobo will handle the various manufacturer's products. As you increase the density of memory chips, you also increase the possibility of errors. Some mobo designs handle these better than others. As the RAM manufacturers improve their processes, it becomes less of an issue for lower-end products like the mini, so it'll just be a matter of time.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:

The Amazon view is not so rosy - The two models of mini were number #1 and #4 in the computer sales list a few weeks ago, now they are #12 and #23.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8188934-2036852

I suspect that the first orders were from Mac users

but I see two reasons for dropping.

1- no indication of delivery.

2- mini should be seen by potential customers who

have PC's The picture does not really do it justice and the idea

of being able to use PC monitor, mouse and keyboard is

not indicated.