CNet: Apple has Intel inside--sort of

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's not the product some have been hoping for, but there is already one Apple Computer machine that has "Intel Inside," according to CNet News.com. "For a long time, people have suggested that Apple make its Mac OS X operating system work with Intel chips. While the Mac maker has not done so, it has used Intel processors in one of its recent products--the Xserve RAID storage system... According to Intel marketing materials, the Xserve RAID uses Intel's IOP 331 chip, a derivative of the XScale processor. The IOP chip, which is used in many storage systems, is designed to speed the task of shuttling data in and out of a computer system." However, its noted that the use of an Intel chip does not appear to be part of a broader trend, and as recently as last month, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer reiterated that Apple has no plans to offer Mac OS X on anything other than the kinds of chips it currently uses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Isnt PCI and USB technology from Intel as well?

Yeah, USB was basically bought out from... err... jeeez, 1997 is so long ago. Ah well, anyway Intel is behind it and I think gets a royalty for every chipset/port a computer ships with.

Like Apple and Firewire.

I dont know what the status is, but it used to be 25cents per Firewire chipset?port? that went to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    This isn't a huge deal. Apple uses processors from a wide variety of sources, as suited to purpose. Motorola and IBM are the obvious ones, but iPods use ARM processors. Neither the iPod nor the XServe Raid runs MacOSX, so this story isn't really relevant to the question of porting MacOSX to... well to what. It isn't just Intel boxes that we're considering here - there are other sources of compatible chipsets.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    senjazsenjaz Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Isnt PCI and USB technology from Intel as well?

Yeah, USB was basically bought out from... err... jeeez, 1997 is so long ago. Ah well, anyway Intel is behind it and I think gets a royalty for every chipset/port a computer ships with.

Like Apple and Firewire.

I dont know what the status is, but it used to be 25cents per Firewire chipset?port? that went to Apple.

I think it was Entrega who invented USB. They sold it to Intel and remained a manufacturer of USB hubs, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    XScale is an ARM-derived design, IIRC. So the IOP isn't *entirely* an Intel product...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Like Apple and Firewire.

They go to The 1394 Trade Association - not Apple - but Apple is a member.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,097member
    Attn: CNET.

1997 wants it's headline back!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Attn: CNET.

1997 wants it's headline back!

Well, since Xserve RAIDs came out in 2003, I don't think 1997 could want it back.

Oh well, funny anyways.

I'm personally really hoping for OS X on x86, so I don't have to pay ridiculous hardware prices.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm personally really hoping for OS X on x86, so I don't have to pay ridiculous hardware prices.

Not me. You get what you pay for. I know it sucks but my intel junk doesn't last more than a year before something fails. I have a 20 computers at work I am over and it is always something. Same for my wife's system at home.

I am glad Apple has great hardware.

Eric
  • Reply 9 of 26
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Keep on hoping. I just hope you're not planning a whole 'hold your breath' thing, too, since I think you'll be dust before that's likely to happen. Hell, OS X's release schedule would double just trying to do the hardware compatibility stuff. And if you haven't noticed, they have a hard enough time keeping the OS and hardware working together now, and they control both of them!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Not me. You get what you pay for. I know it sucks but my intel junk doesn't last more than a year before something fails. I have a 20 computers at work I am over and it is always something. Same for my wife's system at home.

I am glad Apple has great hardware.

Eric

Sure, but Apple's hardware is mighty slow right now for its price. There are many good x86 based computers out there, not mentioning the ones that you can easily build yourself.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,327member
    Quote:

Sure, but Apple's hardware is mighty slow right now for its price. There are many good x86 based computers out there, not mentioning the ones that you can easily build yourself.

PC hardware has increased in speed, but the primary OS has remained the same, so it's going to run faster, just like OS 9 runs __way__ faster on today's Macs. However, OS X is so framework and API-heavy, and has such a demanding user interface, of course it's going to require more processing power.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,097member
    Quote:

Well, since Xserve RAIDs came out in 2003, I don't think 1997 could want it back...

Whoops! I was trying to sensationalize on the fact that Apple has had Intel technology in their products since then (eg. USB) with a goofy grabbing line.

Hmmm. The more you get into the story, the sillier my line appears - kinda like CNET in a way... hey, I could be a pundit!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Depends on your point of view. Comparing clock speeds there is no doubt Apple is behind. Even in the GPU they hurt some,

but,

My new 12" iBook (1.25 gig ram) runs cirlce's around my top of the line Dell M60 Pentium M 1.8 ghz w/1 gig ram (was top of the line when I bought it a few months back). Doing almost any task I can think of (Photo Shop, InDesign, Office, and plain checking my mail) is light speed ahead of my Dell on my iBook.

My iMac 1.8 ghz makes my 3 ghz work computer look like grass growing from a distance. Maybe it is because my Mac is dedicating less resources to virus scanners/and BS MS code, but I don't care. I just care about it running fast for daily operations.

Eric
  • Reply 14 of 26
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Everything to your likeing.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

1: What the hell makes you think a X86 machine would be cheaper?

2: If you want OSX on intel, use PearPC.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

On the desktop, I sortof agree, the lower end tower lineup sucks huge, there is no excuse, but, the Apple server line is solid, I dare you to try to go to HP and get a dual cpu server, with the 1-u formfactor, oh and if you do that, you also must remember a n OS, you either need Windows server with unlimited cliets, or (my personal pick) Novell license, that can double the cost of the server, plus, look at the raid unit: it is increadible compared to the PC equivelnt, imho.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's more than enough performance there for just about any task, on just about any mac that costs over 1000K USD. Excepting 3-D applications.

Scientific, design, 2d, video, audio...

The performance of most macs belies the spec sheet. Measurebators will never be happy... Let them moan, we know what works, and what works well...

The performance problem that macs have these days has more to do with Apple's terrible habit of nickle and diming customers.

The consumer desktops are the shining example of this...

Mini: No keyboard or Mouse = STUPID, save your arguments, you're wrong. (though I realize this will not effect initial sales, it's still just plain dumb not to give people a $1 part, but rather force them to spend another 100 on the basic input devices...)

eMac: CRT, gawd awful, and poor standard RAM and HDD allotments.

iMac: Still not offered at 999 to consumers! Furthermore, for 1299, you get entirely inadequate RAM and HDD specs. These are real issues, not video cards, not the last Hz, not the typical measurbating... The amount of storage, and REAM make real differences to how well your mac works, and how convenient and pleasant the whole experience is/isn't. Apple lags well behind here. Not to mention the lack of superdrives at 1299. Really, it ought to be included at 999, we know what they cost, we're talking a $10, add media incompatibilities to the list of annoyances. DVD-R should be standard on ANY desktop 999 and over...

The most galling part of all this, is that it would literally cost Apple pennies to make these improvements to their desktops. Unlike the fastest chipsets/GPUs (which are always grossly inflated) these changes make a real difference to the quality of your computing experience, and cost next to nothing to do.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    The term "Xscale" confuses me a bit. IBM uses the same term for its new Xeon SMP chiset that it just launched. Then there's the Xscale processor found in PDAs. I know it's not the same thing, but they all have the same name?

As far as hardware being used all over, AMD's flash memory can be found in lots of things. Apple using parts made by an x86 hardware maker is hardly tragic. A lot of that hardware is widely tested and works great.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Mini: No keyboard or Mouse = STUPID, save your arguments, you're wrong. (though I realize this will not effect initial sales, it's still just plain dumb not to give people a $1 part, but rather force them to spend another 100 on the basic input devices...)

In fairness to apple, a KB/M setup that costs $100 will be far and away better than any OEM stock KB+M, personaly, I think you would be crazy to spend more than ~40 on a KB/M, A standard USB 107 key keyboard is like $7-$11 on newegg - and a mouse, assuming you want optical 2-button and scroll wheel, that is ~$20 at the most.

(this is not an out for apple, I think not includeing the kb and mouse was stupid for the most part, but hell, I already have enough KBs and mice that if I could have, I would have said "keep it and cut the price for me" but they did, so, in a selfish way, I am happy)
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

'm personally really hoping for OS X on x86, so I don't have to pay ridiculous hardware prices.

Released in 1994. It's called nextstep. Unfortunately it's OS version 10.1.