Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This past update...idk if you guys cared...but I was pissed off. I saw on Apple.com "new powerbook" yet after looking at the specs(since I didn't memorize the previous specs) I felt it was the same powerbook and in order to not seem so lame they though if they make the super track pad it would be a huge hit!

Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July? I go out of country from May to the end of the june, and I am just praying that when I get back to Hawaii there will be a new powerbook waiting for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well you can only be talking about a Powerbook G5. Apple will release it as soon as they can. Heck they could give you a Pbook G5 right now, but it would be fugly and think like a Dell. I'll take a current Powerbook over any PC (you sound like you're all about processor speeds) just because it WORKS.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    nah, I am not that obsessed with the idea of a powerbook G5.

I know nothing about building a G5 that goes into a powerbook, and I would be happy if they never did a powerbook G5 but at least got a G4 one that was close to the 2ghz levels. I have a 1.6 G5 I use right now. Since I am getting a powerbook to replace my G5(not literally but for while I go away for college in fall). I would want a G4 that can keep up with my G5 I use currently.

Basically if they CHANGE the powerbook I would be happy. Either physically and make it lighter ect. As long as they don't just bumb up every spec a little bit. They might as well have just given everyone a price drop rather then pass off the little speed bumb as an actual update.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    This is my biggest complaint about apple right now...

I sold my g5 (STUPID MISTAKE) to get a powerbook... well after using them at the apple store I realized that they are the exact same powerbook from 2 years ago (1.25ghz powerbook). Same motherboard, same processor (7447a), same enclosure, same ram, same screen... its pathetic.

You have a right to be concerned about the processor... but more importantly other things as well... including bus speed, graphics card and graphics card bus speed, lcd quality, and longevity.

I seriously believe this is the last 7447a powerbook we'll see and I dont' think it will be around for long. Powerbook sales are horrible compared to what they used to be. Personally I'm going to wait for the next powerbook update before buying one of these. I think they are a horrible update, and apple would be just as well off if it was still the same 1.25ghz powerbook they released 2 years ago... with the updated options of course.

This isn't apple's fault... this is motorolas. The 7447a is officially EOL in my eyes. Do I see a powerbook g5 coming soon? nope, but I hope it does.

I don't see how apple can update the ibook line until the powerbooks are updated as well. I think apple is in a bind right now with the powerbooks and they know it.

I think apple will do ALL THEY CAN to get make sure an approperiate powerbook is "announced" at WWDC... "announced: shipping 2-3 months later". As far as july macworld... apple quit doing that event so I doubt any apple hardware product will be announced there.

We can only hope for the powerbook's sake.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Whiney b#tches.

I'm still on a 700MHz iBook.

Shut your spoiled pie-holes.

• Reply 5 of 79
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Whiney b#tches.

Ouch, my deepest condolescence.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Whiney b#tches.

....I don't mind using those iBooks. SInce apple is so genious in the design department. when I borrow my familys(I think its like around 500mhz or something actually) ibook, I get a lot of compliments from girls that it looks soooooo cool and new. When I let them know its close to 5 years old or so. They don't care cuz its "pretty" :-D
  • Reply 7 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple doesn't attend that MacWorld now that it moved (boston/mass?) any longer so I'm doubting it.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

....I don't mind using those iBooks. ... They don't care cuz its "pretty" :-D

Dual USB ice book is actually fine when you max the ram and install a faster HD.

I mean, for the stuff I do...(all web coding and small PSD work).

Anyway the good thing is that I'll skip the G4 series entirely and go from G3 to G5 PB. Someday?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:

Anyway the good thing is that I'll skip the G4 series entirely and go from G3 to G5 PB. Someday?

Assuming a g5 is what is released... I wouldn't bet the farm
  • Reply 10 of 79
    0010001100100011 Posts: 21member
    Apple?s ?Price to Performance? ratio is what?s hurting them, especially when they don?t include newer technologies that exist in competitor?s hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac, I got it when it first came out for about $3000, now it?s only worth half that, and, needless to say, I?m upset; furthermore, I?m not impressed with it?s performance. Having said all that, I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, ? but the ?price to performance? ratio is devastating.

As an example: Alienware Laptop(s) Vs. Apple PowerBook (17?)

Alienware MJ-12m 5500:

Height = 1.6"

PC3200 DDR Memory

128MB Video Card (Standard)

7200rpm Hard Drives (up to 2)

SmartBay for Optical Drive / Secondary Hard-Drive

SPDIF Digital Audio Output

Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Up to 3.4Ghz w/ 800MHz FSB)

Apple G4 PowerBook:

Height = 1?

PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM

128MB Video Card Only available in 17? Superdrive Model

5400rpm Hard Drive (only 1 & at 5400rpm)

No SmartBay for Optical Drive / Secondary Hard-Drive

No SPDIF Digital Audio Output

G4 (Up to 1.67GHz w/ 167MHz FSB)

One thing I want to bring up is the ?Height? debate; I know it has been discussed heavily before, but try this: take a ruler and mark where 1 inch is and where 1.5 inches is, use your thumb and index finger to grasp your own personal perspective while doing the following A/B test and asking these questions:

A (1?) : ?Is this sexy??

B (1.5?) : ?Is this totally not sexy??

A (1?) : ?Is this worth paying more and not getting the performance I need??

B (1.5?) : ?Is this height addition worth the sacrifice for getting better internal components??

My opinion: if the extra 1/2 inch in height would mean getting PC3200 DDR Memory, better standard video cards, a 7200rpm Hard Drive, and the possible ability to have more than one hard drive, then I say the extra 1/2 inch is worth it. Also, trying to find info about the G4?s FSB is impossible; I spent more than 30 minutes trying to find it (Apple refers to the ?system bus,? which, unless I?m wrong, is the same as the FSB), and if 167Mhz is correct ? well ? that?s an extremely poor front side bus.

In other Laptop hardware:

Alienware MJ-12m 7700:

PCI-Express

256MB PCI-Express x16 Graphics

PC-4300 DDR2 Memory

Serial ATA Hard Drive(s) with optional RAID 0 or 1 configurations

Advanced High-Performance, Low-Noise Heat-Pipe Active Processor Cooling Technology

Again, in my opinion, Apple?s ?price to performance? ratio would be better if it included these technologies. I?m aware that including ?all? these technologies would most likely push the PowerBook height to the 2 inches, which is unacceptable; however including ?some? of these technologies would be nice and, quite frankly, needed.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by 00100011

Apple?s ?Price to Performance? ratio is what?s hurting them, especially when they don?t include newer technologies that exist in competitor?s hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac, I got it when it first came out for about $3000, now it?s only worth half that, and, needless to say, I?m upset; furthermore, I?m not impressed with it?s performance. Having said all that, I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, ? but the ?price to performance? ratio is devastating.

Powermac, those were released as 2500... did you add extras?

Yes that dual 1.8 is slow, not because the processor is slow but because there isn't another processor. If you would have waited 3 months you could have got hte dual 1.8 for the same price and been sitting pretty. The dual 2.0 is plenty fast and I'm sure there isn't that big of a difference between speed of the two. Sorry you feel this way, I wish I could tell everyone to wait when something is around the corner... that's why I waited for rev b machines.

You're right, would adding a little height to the powerbook be that big of a deal if it meants getting a faster graphics card (ie 9800) / faster ram?

I can't justify the speeds of these machines, they are already obsolete IMO... g4 is dead for professional machines. If they can fit a g5 into the iMac and the XServe they can fit it into 1.5" space on a powerbook, but what remains to be questioned is 1. battery life 2. fan speed 3. Metal heat 4. bus speed

If apple can get all of those under control, especially #1 they will have their g5 powerbook. I have a feeling this is closer than any of us suspect. Not the g5 powerbook but an updated powerbook. IBooks are stagnent until apple updates the powerbook or powerbook sales will be almost non existent.

Last quarter was the WORST quarter for powerbook sales in 5 years. That is depressing. I think a faster processor and better features... (graphics card, ram, etc) is what is keeping the sales so low. Its too easy to justify purchasing an iBook over a powerbook... you get better screen and better graphics card with the powerbook.... that isn't worth the extra 600-800 dollars.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    bazadbazad Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July? I go out of country from May to the end of the june, and I am just praying that when I get back to Hawaii there will be a new powerbook waiting for me.

I think there is a need for some polls...

Will we see any powerbook update?

- No powerbook update at WWDC 2005

- There is some update

What are the chances for these updates:

- Graphics card,

- 7200 RPM drive,

- FSB and memory speed

- HD monitor

- Processor with a better power management

Which processor:

- G4

- Dual G4

- G5

- Cell

I no longer care about a processor as long as other haracteristics are good.

I use IBM T40/T41 and I can't see much on the sun. What about Powerbooks and iBooks?
  • Reply 13 of 79
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 00100011

[B]As an example: Alienware Laptop(s) Vs. Apple PowerBook (17?)

Please, please, stop comparing Apple and PC's!

If you are on this forum you are probably a Mac user. Would you give up that to work on a PC?

It's probably true that PC's out there might be faster than the current Macs, but you have to think about the whole picture when comparing PC's and Macs.

Macs are more reliable and last way longer than PCs.

Mac OSX is far superior and more user friendly than the competitor.

Macs are more elegant and well design hardware.

Mac software (the majority) are better applications than PCs.

So, when you put all this together that's what makes a Mac such a great computer experience after all. Maybe PCs are faster now, but soon Macs will c
  • Reply 14 of 79
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

This past update...idk if you guys cared...but I was pissed off. I saw on Apple.com "new powerbook" yet after looking at the specs(since I didn't memorize the previous specs) I felt it was the same powerbook and in order to not seem so lame they though if they make the super track pad it would be a huge hit!

They improved the performance and reduced the price. What more could you want?

Quote:

Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July?

Serious question: is there a MacWorld in July? If yes, will Apple attend?
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

They improved the performance and reduced the price. What more could you want?

Serious question: is there a MacWorld in July? If yes, will Apple attend?

If you consider adding 167mhz to the clockspeed a "performance increase" then I have to disagree with you... if you consider the adding 5400 rpm drive as a performance increase, then again I have to disagree with you.... you have been able to put 5400rpm drives in powerbooks since ti1ghz days.

I seriously doubt apple will attend East Macworld... they have stated over and over again that it costs so much money to do SF, Tokyo, Paris macworlds and WWDC that is really hard to afford Boston as well.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    0010001100100011 Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Please, please, stop comparing Apple and PC's!

Did you even READ my post before criticizing it? I never said "PCs are better/faster than Macs." I was purely talking about the internal components of competitor PC laptops versus the Apple PowerBook, and how the PowerBook needs to incorporate these newer technologies; I suggest you re-read my post.

Quote:

If you are on this forum you are probably a Mac user. Would you give up that to work on a PC?

It's probably true that PC's out there might be faster than the current Macs, but you have to think about the whole picture when comparing PC's and Macs.

So, when you put all this together that's what makes a Mac such a great computer experience after all. Maybe PCs are faster now, but soon Macs will c [/B]

I'd like to point out this part of my previous post:

Quote:

Apple?s ?Price to Performance? ratio is what?s hurting them, especially when they don?t include newer technologies that exist in competitor?s hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac ... I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, ? but the ?price to performance? ratio is devastating.

Furthermore, I still stand by my opinion:

Quote:

My opinion: if the extra 1/2 inch in height would mean getting PC3200 DDR Memory, better standard video cards, a 7200rpm Hard Drive, and the possible ability to have more than one hard drive, then I say the extra 1/2 inch is worth it. Also, if the G4?s FSB is in fact 167Mhz, then that?s an extremely poor/weak/slow front side bus.

• Reply 17 of 79
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

All of your claims are subjective. And your point about "better applications" is too unspecific to even be debatable.

Let's concede that Macs are "more elegant and well design hardware." Is that worth paying the cost of a PC laptop, and getting half the specs?

Some people would say "yes", and others "no."

But don't act like the issue isn't worthy of debate because of your perceived value of the "mac experience."
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

All of your claims are subjective. And your point about "better applications" is too unspecific to even be debatable.

Let's concede that Macs are "more elegant and well design hardware." Is that worth paying the cost of a PC laptop, and getting half the specs?

Some people would say "yes", and others "no."

But don't act like the issue isn't worthy of debate because of your perceived value of the "mac experience."

well, so then go buy a PC.

The thing that drives me crazy is people always complaining about Apple. I understand that their hardware might not be the FASTEST out there, but the whole experience as being a Mac user is more important IMHO than have the FASTEST machine available.

Apple should catch up with the latest speed improvements and offerings, I agree. But, I would never think at this time about going to a PC because they are somewhat behind with their current line up.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Lets not turn this into a debate thread...

Do you guys see an update coming sooner than august? I definitely do.

My reasons (restating)...

1. ibooks are stagnet without it

2. powerbook sales are sufferring, lack of hardware updates

3. e600's should be done around that time

4. newer technologies are coming out like better batteries

5. LCDs are WAY outdated

6. Motherboard is suffereing big time compared to other laptops and computers: bus speed, graphics speed / card, ram speed.

7. durability (I have not been happy with the aluminum enclosure, I have seen too many come into be repaired from dropping them).

I stand by these reasons as not to buy a current powerbook. I don't feel they are as advanced as they should be.

The powerbook is exactly where the imac was 10 months ago, and where the powermac was 2 years ago... at a dead end.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Quote:

Did you even READ my post before criticizing it? I never said "PCs are better/faster than Macs." I was purely talking about the internal components of competitor PC laptops versus the Apple PowerBook, and how the PowerBook needs to incorporate these newer technologies; I suggest you re-read my post.

I'd like to point out this part of my previous post:

Furthermore, I still stand by my opinion:

You are entitled to have whatever opinion you want. that's not the point.

The point is everybody always whine about Mac not being this or that or not offering this or that. the real question is, are you willing to give up all of Mac has to offer to move to a PC?

For me they have to really drop completely the ball for me to start even considering that.

As far as I know, at this time they are doing pretty good in keeping me as a loyal user.