New CHUD tools hint at multicore/quad CPU's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The processor prefpane that comes with the new CHUD tools maybe hinting at quad cpu (or dual multicore cpu) Macs

The cpu count popup in the nib file (Processor.prefpane) suggests that there are max. 4 cpu's.

There is more!

The prefpane now displays a red badge on top of the cpu image with the text "x2" when 2 cpus are enabled.

The resource folder however contains 2 additional badges.

Original badge:

You can easily trick the prefpane to display one of the alternate badges:

Why the widther badges?

Maybe there is more to display than "x2" to describe future cpu configurations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

The processor prefpane that comes with the new CHUD tools maybe hinting at quad cpu (or dual multicore cpu) Macs

The cpu count popup in the nib file (Processor.prefpane) suggests that there are max. 4 cpu's.

Sweet news to my ears! I was hoping Apple would use dual processors when they switched to a dual core processor rather than saying it has two cores so it's just like two physical processors.
  • Reply 2 of 120
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    drool

2x Dual Core G5 based Powermacs. That's exactly what I want to see.

Squeeze in another bay as well for at least a min of 3 bays.
  • Reply 3 of 120
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    this is really exciting, altho i've got my guard up waiting for a 2.8 dual top of the line machine with the same basic config as the old ones. I am loosing faith! ("faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen") I have 8K to spend on my new workstation including a 30" display. I will use this machine for 3 years, so I'm believing for a killer update, as whatever the next bump is, thats my machine.
  • Reply 4 of 120
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

... 2x Dual Core G5 based Powermacs. That's exactly what I want to see...

Well I'll be happy to finally see quads, I guess I'll have to wait for the Cell to deliver Qcto's though, it would seem.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

What are CHUD tools, and does this look like something coming in the next 6 months or next year? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 120
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

What are CHUD tools, and does this look like something coming in the next 6 months or next year? Thanks.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/
  • Reply 7 of 120
    Chud tools are basically debugging tools that come with the Xcode developer tools. Every now, and then the chud updater pops up just the system update, and says there is an update to Chud tools.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    This is great news,

I have a feeling this is for testing purposes as this point, we could be as much as a year off from a machine like this... perhaps these tools were made specifically for apple?

If apple does go quad, I'd bet they would be released at WWDC and have sessions about it. If its just a dual 2.8 upate, expect it before WWDC... like in the next few months.
  • Reply 9 of 120
    someone in macrumors forum also noticed that clock speed was renamed core frequency.
  • Reply 10 of 120
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Maybe the x2 badge actually indicates the number of cores on the selected CPU...
  • Reply 11 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Maybe the x2 badge actually indicates the number of cores on the selected CPU...

I don't think so. Unless that is your Mac, and it won't let you change this supposed core # because you only have 2. I think it stands for CPU's.
  • Reply 12 of 120
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
  • Reply 13 of 120
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I don't think so. Unless that is your Mac, and it won't let you change this supposed core # because you only have 2. I think it stands for CPU's.

Agreed, this shot was most likely taken on a dual G5.

Oy, what a bad visual metaphor either method uses. (Two CPUs or one CPU with "xN" badge). In the old scheme, a picture of two CPUs implies two single core chips in the box. Obviously that would become a problem with two dual core CPUs. They don't want to show four chips, one for each core.

In the new scheme with the badge, which presumably denotes number of cores, "x2" could imply two physical single core CPUs or one dual core CPU.

Granted anyone using CHUD will certainly know the makeup of their box but still it's just not pretty.

Screed
  • Reply 14 of 120
    If you ask me, the 2nd picture looks doctored...

The x2 badge isn't pure like the rest of the picture, it looks to be an extremely compressed jpg pasted onto the picture... can't be a jpg cause jpg doesn't have transparency so they could have masked a jpg that was compressed then pasted it on. The compression on that section just doesn't match the compression on the rest of the picture. Fake if you ask me.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

The x2 badge isn't pure like the rest of the picture, it looks to be an extremely compressed jpg pasted onto the picture... can't be a jpg cause jpg doesn't have transparency so they could have masked a jpg that was compressed then pasted it on. The compression on that section just doesn't match the compression on the rest of the picture. Fake if you ask me.

The pictures are real!

Just download the latest CHUD tools and see for yourself.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14358
  • Reply 16 of 120
    Can't, sold my dual 2.0 2 weeks ago and am stuck on a pc until I can decide what mac I want.
  • Reply 17 of 120
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    just to clear things up: is a dual core G5 the same or closely similar to have one of today's dual G5 configurations? Would a dula core dual G5 setup be like having a quad proc workstation?
  • Reply 18 of 120
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I assure you that it's completely authentic. I have this exact setup and are shown the same prefpane.

There are three different sizes of badges in the package, this one (and mine) is showing the smallest size. The largest seems to be able to accomodare three digits. Please dont't tell me that one should take this as evidence that Apple is planning a system with over a hundred CPUs or a Cell-grid consisting of several hundred nodes..

The list have four lines (before a scroll bar will appear). I don't necessairily think of this as evidence that a four way system is in the works, but it would fit nicely I agree.

I did a quick search in the CHUD package after any reference to 970GX but found none. I did find references to "GPUL" though and a string that seemed to indicate that 970FX is called "975" and 7447A is called "7448".

I also found several instances of strings related to a setup of up to four procesosrs, but since I didn't have the old CHUD package installed I couldn't say if these string were new additions or just reflected the capabilities of the kernel that's been present for years.

A dual core G5 processor will probably act and behave just like if there were two separate CPUs and two dual core processors will act like four CPUs. I really don't see any reason to confuse anyone by doing complicated illustrations to show if the setup is four separate CPU, if they are two dual core processors acting like four CPUs or even a four core processor. For all intents and purposes, a dual core processor is two processors, they just happen to sit on the same die.
  • Reply 19 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

just to clear things up: is a dual core G5 the same or closely similar to have one of today's dual G5 configurations? Would a dula core dual G5 setup be like having a quad proc workstation?

It's been said that "two single core CPU's" are faster than "One dual core CPU" at the same frequency, but it's close, and it is closely similar - yes.

Although I've never personally tested a dual Power4 single core vs. two dual core Power4's either, but everybody says two singles is faster than one dual core. Again - they are similar, and it is close.
  • Reply 20 of 120
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's been said that "two single core CPU's" are faster than "One dual core CPU" at the same frequency, but it's close, and it is closely similar - yes.

Although I've never personally tested a dual Power4 single core vs. two dual core Power4's either, but everybody says two singles is faster than one dual core. Again - they are similar, and it is close.

The winner will be determined by memory bandwidth design. Holding bandwidth constant per independent CPU may give independent cores a slight advantage over dual core in memory bandwidth limited tasks, slight losses everywhere else. If bandwidth is not held constant per CPU, but constant per core, then dual core will have a not-insignificant advantage thru faster cache sharing and inter core communications.