the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yeah right.

From here:

http://www.pixar.com/howwedoit/index.html#

• Reply 22 of 28
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Who knows, maybe Apple will work a deal wih Pixar, and offer Marionette for sale some day...

I believe that Maya is in the Pixar pipeline somewhere, but it would be cool to see Apple & Pixar offer a joint produced app covering everything from modeling to rendering...

Steve Jobs once said that the improtant thing about Apple was it made 'the whole widget', meaning the hardware & the OS...

I think that they are extending this with their software offerings over the last half decade or so...

If they would make a fully-featured (and stable!) 3D app, which had tight integration with the rest of their production tools, that would just be great!

Apple really could become the new SGI...
  • Reply 23 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

From here:

http://www.pixar.com/howwedoit/index.html#

Dude that is not a 3D package if it's anything. All that says is they use pixars animation package. There is a big difference. Your still missing 98% of your 3D tools. There is a lot more to dong 3D that just rigging, and key-framing. As a matter of fact. I hear Pixar still doesn't use IK. So if your using that animation package of theirs your stuck only using Forward Kinematics. Talk about doing things old fashioned.

But what Pixar does have that is really good is RenderMan That is a quality rendering app. THere are some new competitors that are stealing a lot of their glory at a lesser price though lately.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I hear Pixar still doesn't use IK. So if your using that animation package of theirs your stuck only using Forward Kinematics. Talk about doing things old fashioned.

They decided not to use IK handles, because they use something called Avars instead (animation variables) wich give them far more control over a character. Reverse kinematics is still being used. Sure it may be just an animation module -but the fact that someone can start using it right away without knowing how to use a 3D application, I think is a huge plus.

And don't talk like Maya is the greatest, because it isn't. I know studios that use Softimage XSI for modeling, and the current rendering engine in Maya is complete and utter shit. Lucky for them Pixar will be releasing renderman for them. Sometimes I wonder, which is the more advance tech company.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    The average 3d hobbiest (or pro using 3d toolsets to compliment their video/graphic design work) would never spend the time to learn any proprietary software. Proprietary software such as Pixar's is specifically designed for their particular pipeline. Workflow is key, UI comes near dead last. Also, animation facilities like Pixar typically stick to either NURBS, Polys OR Sub-Ds and have little support for the other two (again, workflow is key).

At any rate, my point is that Pixar's software will NOT be commercialized. Its just not going to happen... It obviously works well for Pixar, it wouldnt work well for most. Thats where Maya, XSI, Lightwave, 3D Studio, etc. come in.

Honesty though, I dont see Apple trying to compete in this market, there is plenty of competition, from low end to high end.

The idea of a Shake Express is obsurd. Whats the point in low-end node based compositing? Any low-end compositing software will be layer based. A layer based Shake would cease to be Shake.

I think that eventually Motion will gain better compositing capabilities. With that, I think Apple has got its bases covered as far as compositing is concerned...
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Yes, what people fail to think about is Apple's customer base. Many people don't even conceive of the tasks involved in 3-D modeling, any more than they know how to set up shots for bluescreening. People thought that Apple was somehow going to "Appleize" Shake. Right! What could be more pointless? Are mom & pop going to take their DV camera out, purchase and set up a bluescreen and light it properly, and then do some compositing with crappy 4:1:1 artifact-ridden DV footage?

An easy 3-D app would appeal only to a very small subset of the populace. What most people want to do is already covered by Motion and LiveType. People who know what they're doing are going to use Shake and Maya.

It may happen, but the call for it is questionable.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm not talking about a lowend consumer 3D application at all. Consumer have no real desire to do 3D. It's like a bug that bites some people and they take the plunge. I'm talking about a 3D app that fights squarely into a Final Cut Pro workflow. Avid already has the template with Avid Xpress Studio Essentials.

http://www.avid.com/products/xpressStudio/

Almost everything you need in a box.

Avid Xpress Studio Essentials.

Seamlessly-integrated content creation suite for DV professionals including Avid Xpress Pro video editing, Avid Pro Tools LE audio production, Avid 3D animation, Avid FX compositing and titling, and Avid DVD authoring plus Digidesign Mbox hardware. All for only $3995 USMSRP (compared to a total retail value of more than $8,000 USMSRP for products purchased individually).

I'd love to see Apple with a bundle equivalent in 2006.

2006 Apple Production Bundle

Final Cut Pro 5.5

Motion Pro 3.0

DVD Studio Pro HD

ProBand Digital Audio Workstation

Perspective (3D app tailored for video)

$1999 in the bundle. Man that's damn near a studio in a box.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Originally posted by dgurney [/i]

Yes, what people fail to think about is Apple's customer base. Many people don't even conceive of the tasks involved in 3-D modeling, any more than they know how to set up shots for bluescreening. People thought that Apple was somehow going to "Appleize" Shake. Right! What could be more pointless? Are mom & pop going to take their DV camera out, purchase and set up a bluescreen and light it properly, and then do some compositing with crappy 4:1:1 artifact-ridden DV footage?

An easy 3-D app would appeal only to a very small subset of the populace. What most people want to do is already covered by Motion and LiveType. People who know what they're doing are going to use Shake and Maya."

I really dont think you know jack about Apple customer base. Firstly a 3d app WOULD APPEAL to a lot of the FCP users out there. Think lightwave or XSI with a apple interface something webdesigners and titleing designers could use, Im not talking high end digital effects but something that could handle the graphics for a 30 second spot of a music video. Second although apple is selling lots more to moms and dads these days one of apple key customer bases is the creative professional. Live type sucks ass and Motion is no AE at this stage - there needs to be speed inprovs there.[