Apple discontinues current version of Shake

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to industry sources, Apple has recently discontinued Shake 3.5, listing its status as end-of-life (EOL). The company is expected to introduced an updated version of the digital effects compositing software in mid-April at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference. The new version, which is rumored to go by the codename "Perfect Storm," will likely debut alongside new versions of Apple's Final Cut HD and Motion applications, according to a previously published report by ThinkSecret. In the report, the online publication predicts that Apple will introduce a professional video editing suite, code named "Happy Meal," that will bundle Shake with Final Cut, Motion, and one or two all-new video applications. The production suite will compliment Apple's consumer-oriented iWork and iLife software packages. Another video (or animation?) application, code-named Fantasia, is also reportedly under development, according to the same report.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,145member
    Yeah baby!!



    Finally we get to see the Shake that everybody has been waiting for. I'd bet Apple developers put A LOT of work into this application.



    Be prepared to be amazed folks.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I just pray that they drop the price, I don't like being teased.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,145member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by the cool gut

    I just pray that they drop the price, I don't like being teased.



    Or how about freakin' and education price? I'll freaking get certified in Shake and join the Apple Consultants Network if I have to(they send a free copies to Shake certified consultants). That's not cheap but it's better than shelling out $3k
  • Reply 4 of 28
    shaoshao Posts: 39member
    how long has the current version of shake been out.

    I have a mac (g4) at home donated by work and was looking at getting hold of shake to learn and train myself up on. I'm not really that impressed with the way apple are very quick to put a product on to end of life when it appears to not've been out that long, and especially before a replacement product is available.



    :-/
  • Reply 5 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool... think about it: Apple could put together a suit for ~799 - FCE, Shake Express, and logic express. the killer app for video.



    also, look at the posibilities here if apple changes the prices and puts it wuth the pro suite.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Or how about freakin' and education price? I'll freaking get certified in Shake and join the Apple Consultants Network if I have to(they send a free copies to Shake certified consultants). That's not cheap but it's better than shelling out $3k



    At MacWorld I looked in to the Consultants Network for the same reason... freebie Pro apps. I'm already an ADC member, so the ACN will give me userland goods to complement my developer tools.



    The ADC hardware discount is fab.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,145member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shao

    how long has the current version of shake been out.

    I have a mac (g4) at home donated by work and was looking at getting hold of shake to learn and train myself up on. I'm not really that impressed with the way apple are very quick to put a product on to end of life when it appears to not've been out that long, and especially before a replacement product is available.



    :-/




    It's been out almost a year. Shake 3.5 was announced last April.



    Xool



    Yeah I'm thinking about getting Certified in Logic Pro, Shake and Final Cut Pro. I want to keep my options open.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by a_greer

    [B]I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool...



    Er ....have you heard of motion? I would hate to see a cut down version of shake FC Express should never have been released as it wastes apple developers time from where they should be focusing ... FCP. Motion needs to be a better After effects killer. The timeline needs to be improved ( easier use ) and video needs to render faster. Multiple render output at final render stage. Render once. Motion has keying why do we need a cut down version of shake?



    What we really do need is a animation tool ala Maya... by apple.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Big news!



    Final Cut Pro 2 has been discontinued!



    Give me a break.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by dgurney

    Big news!



    Final Cut Pro 2 has been discontinued!



    Give me a break.




    OK.. arm or leg?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    ok well now apple is offering a 30 dat trial of Shake. wtf?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,145member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    ok well now apple is offering a 30 dat trial of Shake. wtf?



    Why not? With Shake 4 coming out at NAB wouldn't it seem prudent to get people to try Shake?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Celco

    [B]
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool...



    Er ....have you heard of motion? I would hate to see a cut down version of shake FC Express should never have been released as it wastes apple developers time from where they should be focusing ... FCP. Motion needs to be a better After effects killer. The timeline needs to be improved ( easier use ) and video needs to render faster. Multiple render output at final render stage. Render once. Motion has keying why do we need a cut down version of shake?



    What we really do need is a animation tool ala Maya... by apple.






    Apple could never match Maya. Alias is the best that what they do. Why bother with it? Apple had a chance to buy Alias, or even SGI, and keep Alias, and dump SGI off but they didn't. If your going to pass that up your probably not interested in Making a 3D app, and feel others are doing a fine job with it already.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    Apple could never match Maya. Alias is the best that what they do.



    Actually, Pixar already has it's own 3D software, made in house. I'm sure it could give Maya a run for it's money, but I don't think there's any point.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    ok well now apple is offering a 30 dat trial of Shake. wtf?



    How does it work? It only gave me the license key and no app.

    My Mac is capable to run it.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by the cool gut

    Actually, Pixar already has it's own 3D software, made in house. I'm sure it could give Maya a run for it's money, but I don't think there's any point.



    Yeah right.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Yeah I'm thinking about getting Certified in Logic Pro, Shake and Final Cut Pro. I want to keep my options open.



    From what I hear, I'm not sure how important getting Apple certed is. "It's all about your reel," and resume. Still, I'm hoping to get FCP, Motion, and DVDSP certified in the future. It can't hurt.





    - - -



    Even if Apple can't match Maya with a 3D app, they could make something that's easier to jump into, more affordable, and it would round out their production suite. It would be similar to Motion, where more advanced/ dedicated users would move up to Maya (like After Effects is to Motion.)





    I can't wait for NAB 2005!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

    From what I hear, I'm not sure how important getting Apple certed is. "It's all about your reel," and resume.



    yup
  • Reply 19 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -



    Even if Apple can't match Maya with a 3D app, they could make something that's easier to jump into, more affordable, and it would round out their production suite. It would be similar to Motion, where more advanced/ dedicated users would move up to Maya (like After Effects is to Motion.)





    I can't wait for NAB 2005!




    That's actually not a bad idea. It would certainly get the ball rolling towards Apple creating a decent PowerMac workstation that is suitable for highend 3D work in the future.

    Possibly buy Silo, and spruce it up a little, and Mac OS X-Ify the interface a bit, or create their own from scratch.

    Still - it would be a really cool free iApp that kids would latch onto in a heartbeat.

    If Apple had a modeler from Pixar do a small demo on stage, and created a super hero from the incredibles. OMG every kid would want one. Watch the mini sales go through the roof!



    Dude I think you just spawned a great idea.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    Dude I think you just spawned a great idea.



    Hahah thanks, but it's not really my idea. With integrated production suites from companies like Avid, Sony, and Adobe being the new standard, it's not out of this world to expect some kind of 3D app from Apple, aimed primarily at editors. What does seem a novel idea (to me at least,) however, is your idea of an "iApp" 3D program. That could be a hit with the kids for sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.