Updated eMacs, iMacs expected in April

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Actually they said that about 10.3 -- that's why Tiger is (if the April rumor is true) 18 months after Panther, compared to 14 months between Jaguar and Panther and less between earlier releases. No doubt they'll talk about 10.5 plans at WWDC if Tiger arrives in April.

It is very likely Apple will release Tiger in April. However, they will NOT talk about 10.5 at WWDC and there are several reasons for that. The most important 2:

1. They show every new version when the feature set is more or less fixed and they can give a build to developers to start developing/testing their software (if they were not dependent on third party software they could prefer to announce it when it is ready to ship).

2. There are so many new technologies in Tiger that they will have enough stuff to talk about. 10.4 is the most significant step both in terms of "under the hood" changes and user features. Developers will need some time to get use of the new stuff.

What I expect is a massive advertising campaign along Tiger (and possibly new hardware but this is less important for the average Joe - what's the point to advertise computer which does not run all the software [note 1: this is Joe's understanding of the facts] he owns and knows and is more expensive [see note 1]). We have never seen ads targeting OS X but I will not be surprised to the change triggered by Tiger release.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Now here's an interesting question: what will Apple have to talk about at the WWDC keynote? Even if Tiger isn't released by June (and it probably will be), there really wouldn't be any reason to rehash the features for the 4th time in a row.

I really hope they don't hold off on PowerMacs just so that they have some material for a keynote.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Now here's an interesting question: what will Apple have to talk about at the WWDC keynote? Even if Tiger isn't released by June (and it probably will be), there really wouldn't be any reason to rehash the features for the 4th time in a row.

I really hope they don't hold off on PowerMacs just so that they have some material for a keynote.

they'll talk about how many users have bought the software in the first two months and they'll go into more detail about the OS. Remember the yearly updates are gone. Tiger will be here for at least a year and a half. They'll take about 10.5 in Jan. And the transition at Mac:Expo this year.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Do you think they will talk about future processors? Or is that never done by Apple?

Eric
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Do you think they will talk about future processors? Or is that never done by Apple?

Eric

The G5 is the future processor. Apple would mention a future processor if it it's announced with a computer.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

The G5 is the future processor. Apple would mention a future processor if it it's announced with a computer.

I was talking about dual cores, etc.

Eric
  • Reply 27 of 83
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Eric

Apple never talks about future processors unless under pressure.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

they'll talk about how many users have bought the software in the first two months and they'll go into more detail about the OS. Remember the yearly updates are gone. Tiger will be here for at least a year and a half. They'll take about 10.5 in Jan. And the transition at Mac:Expo this year.

People, try to remember that WWDC is a DEVELOPER's conference first and foremost, not a user's convention or anything. As such, most of what's going to be discussed is going to be 10.4. It doesn't matter if its released in April, they still need to get the info to the developers, and get them to drink enough of the kool aid to support the new features (and remember by developers we're not just talking about programmer's from Adobe and MS, but large and small software companies, as well as people who program for in-house software.

Going on that, I wouldn't expect to be hearing about 10.5 in January, as that is a user's conference, and 10.5 would still be a year away, at least.

And I have no idea what XP 64-bit has on OS X. 64-bit XP isn't going to be some grand release (esp. since it took MS so long to even decide whether it was worth creating, plus a 64-bit OS has NO marketing appeal. "Check it out! Windows XP can now use 64-bit pointers!" or "Check it out, now you too can use more than 2GB while reading your email!".
  • Reply 29 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just posted this on Thinksecrets forums at Applenova, but it bears repeating here as well.

"Can this date be real? As far as I can tell there are a lot more bugs, and all of the features aren't completed as yet.

This would leave just three weeks for it to be completed, the disks stamped, boxed with whatever papers (manual?) it will come with, and shrink wrapped.

A week to get to the stores and we have the 15th.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem possible.

What would the point be anyway? It might look somewhat better for the bottom lime for the quarter, but would make the next one look worse than it would have.

With everyone expecting it to come out in early June, at the conference, that would be the best time for the release. It would give them more time to fix bugs.

We don't need another nine or more updates."

I would rather see it later and more polished than two months early and buggy.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What would the point be anyway? It might look somewhat better for the bottom lime for the quarter, but would make the next one look worse than it would have.

Those are exactly the types of factors that drive sales and marketing departments. A spike in Q2 sales would be a good thing - the surge for 10.4 won't fall off until Q3. And if Apple has Pro App updates ready for NAB (April 15ish) and hardware updates for WWDC, those will boost sales even more. Much better to spread your sales spikes out, shows steadier growth than a BIG spike in one quarter followed by the compounded softening. Plus, if Apple doesn't have Tiger out by NAB - the launch of new versions of the Pro Apps - then they have no OS to run them on.

Having said all that, according to Steve in the BusinessWeek article linked here, Apple is a PRODUCT driven company, not a SALES driven company. Lets hope he can keep OS 10.4 in the oven till it's done. If that means a soft Q2 followed by a HUGE Q3 and a weak Q4 , so be it.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think there's an interesting case to be made for an bigger iMac to come
  • Reply 32 of 83
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I think there's an interesting case to be made for an bigger iMac to come

There's an even bigger case for it not to happen: price, size, balance issues, and target market. I'd rather that Apple just focus on getting the 20" iMac's price down; maximum screen size doesn't matter as much as the accessibility of a given screen size.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

There's an even bigger case for it not to happen: price, size, balance issues, and target market. I'd rather that Apple just focus on getting the 20" iMac's price down; maximum screen size doesn't matter as much as the accessibility of a given screen size.

I agree. Any bigger and I would have just bought a powermac with seperate display instead of my 20" iMac (which I freekn' love!).

Eric
  • Reply 34 of 83
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    A 23-inch iMac G5 would be obnoxious. Talk about overkill. I first want Apple to focus on improving the 17- and 20-inch versions by including high resolution displays, faster graphics cards and more graphics RAM, and other features.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Didn't anyone notice the putative relase date is April 1?

There's no way that Apple is going to make a major product announcement on April Fool's day.

This report of Tiger's release has got to be bogus.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IAmNotReallyHuman

Didn't anyone notice the putative relase date is April 1?

There's no way that Apple is going to make a major product announcement on April Fool's day.

This report of Tiger's release has got to be bogus.

The April Fools argument has been dragged up a million times already.

* Windows XP 64-Bit is due in April so Apple will want to beat them for marketing purposes.

* Amazon.com listed Tigers release as March 31st and then changed it to April and again to June after rumor sites caught wind of it.

* NAB is in April and 1 or more of the Pro apps (Shake, Final Cut Pro 5) requires Tiger to operate

* There are quite a few books on Tiger scheduled for release on April 1st and thereafter

* Links to widget downloads appeared on the apple site recently and then removed

I'm sorry but this is a little bit more than an April Fools joke, Apple wouldn't pull a stunt like that anyway!
  • Reply 37 of 83
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, whenever they feel the market is ready, they'll pull the trigger. it's easy to just put up on apple.com

"No foolin'. Tiger available for order April 1st."

cheesy, yes, but apple's had worse on their home page taglines.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It will be logical to see a small speedbump in the next coming months, for both the I mac and the eMac

This said 10 % more power on an I mac will not change your life. The only good new, is that this machine will ship with a minimum of 512 MB ram. And yes it's disapointing if Apple do not give a better video card for the i macs.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    ...And Airport wireless standard.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

...And Airport wireless standard.

that isn't necessary on the whole line, just laptops (as it is currently) Bluetooth 2 should come with 512MB RAM though.