Cinema Display Price Cuts...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Just checked the Dell monitor. Looks nice. I am not so crazy about the design. I have to say the price is great. Specs are good too.

Hopefully this will force Apple to lower their display prices and be more competitive.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    On the subject of screens, anyone reckon we will get a 17in? I love the look of the Apple displays, and might consider a mini if there was a 17in. Also, is the screen in the iMac and cinema displays better than the screen in the iBook? I can hardly see this screen when it is sunny!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    well lets see... 20 inch display draws 65 watts, so yes i would say it is brighter since it draws the same power as my entire 17" Pbook(which is brighter than an iBook)
  • Reply 24 of 39
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

Me three

Great display, bright as the sun. Oh yeah, a thin line of black gaffer tape over the small logo -- it was a bit glaring...

Really like the black gaffer tape idea mugwump. I did sort of the opposite when I bought a white iBook in Japan when they first came out. Put a thin sheet of transluscent red over the logo and got a nice red apple in a field of white. Drew a few comments...
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

well lets see... 20 inch display draws 65 watts, so yes i would say it is brighter since it draws the same power as my entire 17" Pbook(which is brighter than an iBook)

Thanks, confirms what I thought then. So are the iMacs equally bright? I can see my power bill rocketing though if the screen is going to use more power than my entire iBook. Then again, could the difference in power used not be a lot to do with a larger screen? Is there any reliable figures anywhere for brightness? Couldn't see any on the Apple site.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Thanks, confirms what I thought then. So are the iMacs equally bright? I can see my power bill rocketing though if the screen is going to use more power than my entire iBook. Then again, could the difference in power used not be a lot to do with a larger screen? Is there any reliable figures anywhere for brightness? Couldn't see any on the Apple site.

In reply to my own post, I just found the details for the iMac and the Cinema displays - brightness of the iMac is 200cd/m (17in) or 230cd/m (20in), whilst the cinema displays are slightly brighter at 250cd/m for the 20in, or 270cd/m for the other two.

Unfortunately, the Apple site doesn't list the brightness for the laptops, does anyone have these details - I'd be interested to know as I am becoming increasingly disappointed with my iBook screen.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    For reference, I set the brightness on Sony Artisan CRTs and Eizo CG21 LCDs at 85.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

They DO need to watch out for Dell, but you have to realize that Dell is currently beating the pants off of everyone in the LCD monitor price war. Apple isn't trying to be the cheapest, like Dell is. If they were they would have used plastic to encase their monitors(like dell does). I do agree that apple should be aiming for $750 20", $1400-1500 23", and $2400 30".

I do agree with you. Dell has nice specs and OK design. but I think the Apple displays are better build and have a much nicer design, so they will cost more. I just hope the Dell competition will help lower the prices from Apple current line up and make them even more attractive.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    gusmangusman Posts: 17member
    my two bits,

I have a PMac 2.0 dual working with an apple 20" and a dell 19" (all from autumn of 03).

I day trade stocks. The Dell was about $700 the apple about $1100.

The Dell is great for text and what i will call insensitive graphics like stock charts etc. As I am older I kind of like the larger pixel size which translates into slightly larger text. While the screen can appear brighter than the Apple, I don't think that is a good measure because the Apple completely outclasses it when displaying any form of color pictures. While the delll screen appears bright, color pictures on it appear VERY washed out compared to the the Apple. Side by side the Apple quality is remarkably better with any picture I have viewed. This makes me happy to be using both and I will probably continue to in future situations. Its a nice compromise between cost and quality.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gusman

my two bits,

I have a PMac 2.0 dual working with an apple 20" and a dell 19" (all from autumn of 03).

I day trade stocks. The Dell was about $700 the apple about $1100.

The Dell is great for text and what i will call insensitive graphics like stock charts etc. As I am older I kind of like the larger pixel size which translates into slightly larger text. While the screen can appear brighter than the Apple, I don't think that is a good measure because the Apple completely outclasses it when displaying any form of color pictures. While the delll screen appears bright, color pictures on it appear VERY washed out compared to the the Apple. Side by side the Apple quality is remarkably better with any picture I have viewed. This makes me happy to be using both and I will probably continue to in future situations. Its a nice compromise between cost and quality.

That seems like a fine analogy for an old display, but it's not the same as the new Cinema wide versions they are making. They get their Screens from Samsung now which is where Apple gets theirs.

It also appears that people need to configure their preferences on these as well if they want them to have the low level of brightness as the Apple displays. It was stated in earlier posts that the contrast ratio of the DELL displays is of 1000:1, and Apples is only 400:1. You would obviously need to configure your options accordingly to get the level your looking for. However if you would like your display a little brighter than what the Apple display has you should have no problems with that.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    i wonder how the color accuracy is on these units? I understand the Apple displays are the only LCD's swop certified for displaying proof accurate color.Not sure how much of this is just marketing jargon however...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

i wonder how the color accuracy is on these units? I understand the Apple displays are the only LCD's swop certified for displaying proof accurate color.Not sure how much of this is just marketing jargon however...

I still find LCD's to be quite poor in displaying colour accuracy. A good CRT in my books does a better job...but maybe I'm just old school.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I still find LCD's to be quite poor in displaying colour accuracy. A good CRT in my books does a better job...but maybe I'm just old school.

No you are right, CRT's are definately better in color accuracy. If your works depends on that, you'll need a very good CRT monitor. LCD's are narrowing the gap in the last few years, but CRT's still the king for now.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

No you are right, CRT's are definately better in color accuracy. If your works depends on that, you'll need a very good CRT monitor. LCD's are narrowing the gap in the last few years, but CRT's still the king for now.

From what I hear the Lacie Electron Blue's are show stopper CRT's.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I had my heart set o the 30", but the more I think about the Dell 23", it sounds tempting. I'd have enough left over to put a 19" CRT (like hte LaCie) next to it for checking color critical work, and have 1700 left for more ram and an array. I would not get all the glorious vertical real estate i'd get with the 30, but geeze! Great price...
  • Reply 36 of 39
    coxnvoxcoxnvox Posts: 50member
    Hey, the Dells supposedly do picture-in-picture...does that mean I could watch TV in a box while doing editing/surfing/etc. on the rest of the screen?

Cuz that would be...like...wicked!

Later,

kc
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by coxnvox

Hey, the Dells supposedly do picture-in-picture...does that mean I could watch TV in a box while doing editing/surfing/etc. on the rest of the screen?

Cuz that would be...like...wicked!

Later,

kc

Possibly, but I think you'd need a Tuner card to do it.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

They get their Screens from Samsung now which is where Apple gets theirs.

AFAIK the Dell 2405 has a 24" Samsung PVA panel inside (display area 519mm x 325mm), while Apple, Benq, HP, LG, Sony use a 23" Philips-LG S-IPS panel (display area 495.4mm x 309.6mm).
  • Reply 39 of 39
    you should also take a look at the formac display. $900 for a photogenic 20" display with 700:1 contrast ratio, 15ms grey to grey, 170deg viewing angle plus 160deg conical viewing angle, and 300nits brightness.

not bad if you only need a 20".

If you really want to go big, get a projector.