Future iBook Updates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    While all of the rumours seem to be pointing at a widescreen iBook, I was thinking it'd make more sense if the PB was widescreen since the other two sizes already are.

Also, somebody also reported it to be a 14" widescreen, not 13".
  • Reply 42 of 68
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

MacOSRumours just ran a note on rumours of a widescreen iBook. I think this could make sense for Apple, consolidating the existing 12" and 14" iBook models into a single 13" Widescreen model with a couple of different SKUs for various HD, CPU and optical drive configs.

If that is the case, I am VERY HAPPY I already purchased my 12" iBook. I hope they don't kill the 12", that would suck.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I am currently quite content with my 12" iBook as well, but I think the widescreen is the logical solution for getting a bit more real estate without making the screen too big.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I am currently quite content with my 12" iBook as well, but I think the widescreen is the logical solution for getting a bit more real estate without making the screen too big.

I would accept the widescreen if they would offer a DVD burner. Otherwise, I would be dissapointed. I need a small computer for easy travel packing and screen space is not an issue with me on my 12". I have a 20" iMac for that crazy stuff...
  • Reply 45 of 68
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think I would buy a 14-inch Widescreen iBook in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 46 of 68
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

MacOSRumours just ran a note on rumours of a widescreen iBook. I think this could make sense for Apple, consolidating the existing 12" and 14" iBook models into a single 13" Widescreen model with a couple of different SKUs for various HD, CPU and optical drive configs.

However, the source was unreliable, I'd expect a wide-screen PowerBook 12" first.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

However, the source was unreliable, I'd expect a wide-screen PowerBook 12" first.

this makes sense. and also moving the ibook line to one screen size. speaking of widescreen...10" widescreen ibook mini anybody?
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by lgrw3919

this makes sense. and also moving the ibook line to one screen size. speaking of widescreen...10" widescreen ibook mini anybody?

I would order a 10" widescreen. But anything larger (mainly taller) than what I have now is too big.

Eric
  • Reply 49 of 68
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I would agree, I think that Apple should move to a widescreen for the smallest version of the Powerbook line. I kind of wonder what this whole "year of HD video" bit is going to mean for the Powerbooks, since the "year of the laptop" was a bit of a snoozer.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm to the point where anything steve says, I let it go in one ear out the other. Seems he's been full of broken promises lately.

3.0ghz in 12 months

Year of the Laptop (saw 2 very mediocre updates)

Greatest WWDC ever (announced some lcds and did some core technology classes at the convention, everything else was pretty much a repeat)

I think he says the things he says for the stocks sometimes.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I'm to the point where anything steve says, I let it go in one ear out the other. Seems he's been full of broken promises lately.

3.0ghz in 12 months

Greatest WWDC ever (announced some lcds and did some core technology classes at the convention, everything else was pretty much a repeat)

don't be surprised if you see white and grey vans driven by barefoot hipsters tailing you tomorrow morning, or if you hear dancing in the shadows after you turn off your lights tonight. steve doesn't like it when we speak up
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Don't you mean Flower Powered Vans?
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by i want a powerbook

don't be surprised if you see white and grey vans driven by barefoot hipsters tailing you tomorrow morning, or if you hear dancing in the shadows after you turn off your lights tonight. steve doesn't like it when we speak up

Hopefully, "year of HD" doesn't mean we get a new codec and that's it.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

3.0ghz in 12 months

hmmm, year of the laptop...

i think he didn't broke that promise (2003)

it wasn't about what he announced (12"/17" and later in the year a 15" powerbook and the iBookG4s) but about the total sales; 42% of total mac sales were laptops in 2003 iirc.

also
  • Reply 55 of 68
    slickslick Posts: 34member
    i think a 12" widescreen would be a little too small, a 13.3" or 14.1" would seem more logical.

i really hope they make this change. after looking at the specs, i dont know if i can justify the price of powerbook. they are very nice, but one of the main features i want is a widescreen (16:10) display. i watch a lot of dvd's while i am on the go and they are all widescreen.

if the ibooks got a widescreen monitor, i would buy one in a heartbeat. wouldnt be a bad idea to add that cool backlit keyboard to them either
  • Reply 56 of 68
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slick

if the ibooks got a widescreen monitor, i would buy one in a heartbeat. wouldnt be a bad idea to add that cool backlit keyboard to them either

Backlit keyboards are nothing but a gimmick, IMO. I envision a bunch of people using their PowerBooks in the dark, straining their eyes, just so they can oohh and aahh over the keyboard.

I think a wide screen 14" iBook is a great idea though. I'd probably buy one to replace the 17" PowerBook I just sold.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slick

i think a 12" widescreen would be a little too small, a 13.3" or 14.1" would seem more logical.

i really hope they make this change. after looking at the specs, i dont know if i can justify the price of powerbook. they are very nice, but one of the main features i want is a widescreen (16:10) display. i watch a lot of dvd's while i am on the go and they are all widescreen.

I agree, in my opinion the ideal screensize for a compact widescreen notebook is approx 13". I think that this is economically feasible for a Powerbook model, and it'll be interesting to see if Apple can take this route for a single, consolidated iBook model.

I took another look at the current 12" iBook at the campus bookstore the other day, and I'm hoping to be able to buy one in time for the fall semester (what will hopefully be my last year of university), but I really hope that it will get a better (specifically brighter) screen in the next update.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    The 10" XBlack Sony is wide-screen and has a beautiful screen. The resolution is similar to my 15" PowerBook - although that makes it quite difficult to see everything because of the size.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Backlit keyboards are nothing but a gimmick, IMO. I envision a bunch of people using their PowerBooks in the dark, straining their eyes, just so they can oohh and aahh over the keyboard.

As a professional fiction writer, working in the dark often helps me visualize scenery and situations. I'll admit most people probably wouldn't find any major use for the backlit keyboard, but mac-users tend to be creative, and trying to do creative work in the middle of a visually cluttered room can lead to lessened concentration and a poor final product. Some people may disagree, but I find the keyboard to be a major feature--one of the very features drawing me to a powerbook, no less.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by WoohooDonuts

As a professional fiction writer, working in the dark often helps me visualize scenery and situations. I'll admit most people probably wouldn't find any major use for the backlit keyboard, but mac-users tend to be creative, and trying to do creative work in the middle of a visually cluttered room can lead to lessened concentration and a poor final product. Some people may disagree, but I find the keyboard to be a major feature--one of the very features drawing me to a powerbook, no less.

In addition sometimes people can't help the fact their in a dark place (why do companies sell lights for laptops?) But also low-light can make it difficult to read a screen. I have a backlit PowerBook and I don't turn the light out specially - in fact it's on at the moment.