Future iBook Updates

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

In addition sometimes people can't help the fact their in a dark place...

Alright, I suppose the backlit keyboard can be useful to some. I'd rather see Apple put more memory in their 'books; something that I'd personally find more useful. In the 16 months I owned my 17" PowerBook, I never once used the keyboard backlight (except to try it out when I first got it). I'd hate to see backlit keyboards in iBooks, and higher prices. Leave that to the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Alright, I suppose the backlit keyboard can be useful to some. I'd rather see Apple put more memory in their 'books; something that I'd personally find more useful. In the 16 months I owned my 17" PowerBook, I never once used the keyboard backlight (except to try it out when I first got it). I'd hate to see backlit keyboards in iBooks, and higher prices. Leave that to the PowerBooks.

I have hardly used my backlight, i use it occasionally when I'm out or even less at home. It does have the wow-factor and commuters and DJs probably couldn't live without it. It would be better to see a higher resolution screen though in the iBooks than a backlit keyboard, but consumers like gadget!?
  • Reply 63 of 68
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    My £0.02 - with all this talk of new screesn, Apple would have a neat range if the laptops looked as follows;

iBook - 13.3in widescreen

PowerBook - 15in and 17in widescreen

New sub-notebook thingy - 10in screen (aimed at PowerBook users who want a small screen - this would be priced above the iBook, so essentially would be a 10in PowerBook)

I think that would keep everyone happy. I'd happily get a 13.3in iBook - I think the 14in looks too big and ugly with all of that plastic, but my 12in is verging on a bit too small since it is my main computer. Fingers crossed for this range, I'd be a happy mac user.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

New sub-notebook thingy - 10in screen (aimed at PowerBook users who want a small screen - this would be priced above the iBook, so essentially would be a 10in PowerBook)

miniBook-iBook-PowerBook
  • Reply 65 of 68
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

As far as the iBooks are concerned I would rather they not have a widescreen. My reason is too much vertical screen space is lost. When I measured my iBook's screen to see what a 13.25" widescreen would look like I lost 1.5" of vertical space and that is if the widescreen will be the same width as my iBook's is now. If the ratio is off with how I measured (start at bottom right and move tape up the left side until 13.25" meets the left edge of the screen) then even more vertical space could be lost. I see no real benefit of widescreen other than no "black boxes" when watching movies, but it could be like Expose` in that once you use it, not having it becomes a hinderance.

As far as the PowerBooks are concerned I do not think there will be a 12" model with a widescreen due to vertical space issues I mentioned above. I also do not see Apple no longer selling a 12" PowerBook, unless they replace it with a 13" PowerBook, which is what I think they would have to do if they wanted to have all three PowerBooks with a widescreen.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

miniBook-iBook-PowerBook

Book mini-iBook-Powerbook
  • Reply 67 of 68
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

As far as the iBooks are concerned I would rather they not have a widescreen. My reason is too much vertical screen space is lost. When I measured my iBook's screen to see what a 13.25" widescreen would look like I lost 1.5" of vertical space and that is if the widescreen will be the same width as my iBook's is now. If the ratio is off with how I measured (start at bottom right and move tape up the left side until 13.25" meets the left edge of the screen) then even more vertical space could be lost. I see no real benefit of widescreen other than no "black boxes" when watching movies, but it could be like Expose` in that once you use it, not having it becomes a hinderance.

Personal choice I suppose - it would suit my needs fine. Assuming it would be a 16:10 13.33in screen, by my calculations, that would give a height of 7.05" and a width of 11.3". The height is marginally less than the 7.2" I have on my 12" iBook, but the width is vastly improved, giving a larger screen overall, and more room for palettes etc. Bring it on I say, I am sure 12" users, who like a smallish laptop would welcome a 13.3" widescreen. I certainly would.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

As far as the iBooks are concerned I would rather they not have a widescreen. My reason is too much vertical screen space is lost.

One would hope that a wide screen iBook would be 1280x800 pixels; an increase of 32 vertical pixels. If it's a 13" diagonal screen, this would mean a slight decrease in vertical size measured in inches and more pixels per inch (compared to the current 12" model). I would hope for a 14" widescreen which would allow for about the same screen height, and (with a thinner bezel) only about one extra inch in the overall width of the iBook enclosure.

I think this is more likely to happen to the small PowerBook, so all of the PowerBooks will be wide screen. If it's an iBook at roughly the same price as the current 12" model, I'll probably buy one.