Must-have freeware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I asked my mother if she knew was "Go" was. She said it was a kind of drug. Don't think I'll be needing that one.

Let me enlighten you folks on a sweet-ass app called OurTunes. You can download the music users share through iTunes. It is an awesome Java app that works beautifully on both Mac & PC.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Thanks to whomever mentioned BluePhoneElite, it is one of the best bluetooth apps I have seen. Pure brilliance.

Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I need some more free games. Especially solitaire. Must have free solitaire.

Solitaire XL is the best I have come across. And if you like Freecell, there's one for the Mac too Very happy when I found that! Quinn is a really decent tetris game with network play.

Handbrake surely has to be mentioned. Extremely simple DVD backup solution. I've got some of my favourite movies on my laptop for when I'm away and soon when I'm at college. Version 0.7 will kick ass when it's released in, hopefully, the not too distant future.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Solitaire XL is the best I have come across.future.

This is a great little app. I don't even play solitaire and I'm starting too now. Anyone know any other good little free games?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
  • Reply 25 of 43
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Also it might have had to do with Apple's decision that the iCal icon constantly displays day...

Yeah, that works great. As long as it's July 17th.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

SolitaireXL is awesome. That is the coolest version of solitaire I have ever seen. My dad is going to love it.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I also came across http://solitaireforever.com/

It has LOTS of solitaire games in it.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Seems you have never actually started iCal

Now that you brought it up, I notice the icon also displays month, I just can't see it from my tiny iBook Dock.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Seems you have never actually started iCal

You shouldn't have to re-launch it every time the computer starts up.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Now, if you mean date should be a default permanent element on a computer desktop, then I disagree. Not that many people will expect/need the date from the computer, yet be unable to find where to see it or set it to show permanently. There are tons of other things that would be equally justified to be on as default.

But if you said that in the sense that you just want iCal to start, you can tell it to always start using System Preferences->Accounts->Startup Items.

On OS X, I think reboot is very infrequent anyway. My mom sleeps her iBook, only reboots after Software Update, not, for instance, upon travelling to another side of the country. I don't even sleep mine much.

More nice free software residing on my computer, probably not for your mom, but I don't know her and won't second guess.

DoubleCommand, TinkerTool - system configuration

ffview - picture and comic viewer

Gimp - image editing, need X11

Freeciv - Civilization.. okay I haven't exactly tried this yet.

Kenta Cho game OSX ports (weird fast-twitch arcade games):

Parsec 47

Area 2048

Psy-No

Tumiki Fighters
  • Reply 31 of 43
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

it's simply a matter of opinion. i GREATLY prefer having the date in the toolbar and don't understand why they took away at least the option to leave it in. clicking on the time to get the date display is an annoyance to me.

I'd like this as well. I don't like having to click to see the date. Even if the date was shown by hovering the mouse over the time (like that other OS) would work better than having to actually click (then click again to close) to see the date.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Let me enlighten you folks on a sweet-ass app called OurTunes. You can download the music users share through iTunes. It is an awesome Java app that works beautifully on both Mac & PC.

This is indeed a sweet-ass app. It works great and easily allows file transfers between computers when sharing through iTunes. I'm using it between 2 PCs so I can't say how it works with Macs but I can say it works great with my configuration.

EXCELLENT App.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Agreed. I can understand only showing the date if iCal is running, but iCal should never show the wrong date. OTOH, the old date acts as a nice reminder of when iCal was last run.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Agreed. I can understand only showing the date if iCal is running, but iCal should never show the wrong date. OTOH, the old date acts as a nice reminder of when iCal was last run.

It doesn't show the last run date though... at least not on mine. That date was one of the first things I noticed when I came to the Mac. It would be nice to show the correct date always, but it is very annoying to have it show the wrong date.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    i dunno if its actually freeware or not, but wiretap is probably my favorite app. its so easy and convenient to make audio files out of anything coming from ur computer. its great, i'd definitely recommend it
  • Reply 36 of 43
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Two that have not been mentioned are Weatherpop and Menu Calendar. Both are menu bar apps that make the menu bar like it should be.

reg
  • Reply 37 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

um, i'm not sure what's going on with your install of ical, but i have its icon in a dragthing dock on my desktop, and i never launch it, but it updates the date every day. i have it set to 128x128 in a transparent dock in the corner, so it's just a big floating calendar, which i can click on the get my schedule if i want. not sure if that's a dragthing feature working its magic or what...
  • Reply 38 of 43
    DragThing itself changes the date. I don't know how, but it does it.

There's nothing wrong with my installation of iCal, you just have third-party software doing the job that iCal should do itself.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

There's nothing wrong with my installation of iCal, you just have third-party software doing the job that iCal should do itself.

If iCal does not do the job, it isn't running. So it's implicit in your comment that you both refuse to run iCal and expect it to work at the same time.

It's like I asked a barber to turn my hair into jelly, while it also remained the way it always has been.

Not only is the request impossible; even if it was miraculously fulfilled, there's no point to it.

Again, if it's too much of a bother to click once to run iCal, put it in Startup Items and never, ever worry about it again.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

DragThing itself changes the date. I don't know how, but it does it.

ah, okay. well, i guess i'm glad i paid james the fee.

seriously, though, Gon, what he's saying is that it is intuitive for a user to expect, if they place a clandar icon either on their dock or on their desktop, that it would change to reflect the current date. whether they ever said it would isn't really the issue. i have to say it's always puzzled me why it doesn't change the date. maybe it's a software support thing, like the guys on the phone need to be able to say "click on the thing that looks like a calendar with the number 17 on it" or something. who knows...