Future Powerbooks...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Of course, we're all drooling for a PB G5, but lets be realistic here, The Powerbooks need to make some other major changes first.



First of all, what would a G5 be if the battery was the same model as in current PB's? even a minor upgrade in battery life wouldn't let you us a decent G5 for more than 2 or three hours, max...



Another thing I think the Powerbooks desperately need before a G5, is an updateed motherboard with substanually faster frontside bus. What good is a 2.0Ghz G5 if the FSB will hinder it's performance that greatly?



And another thing, I think the 512MB of ram is ok for now, but it won't be long before we'll need at least a Gig, standard.



But one of the biggest upgrades needed is a better video card, especially in the 12 inch model. A GeForce 5200??! Come ON!!! That's not even worth the upgrade from my 1Ghz G4 with the Geforce 4mx...



I'd really like to see the new GeForce 6 Go Series or the new mobility XX00's in there. I personally think they need this the most and would go a long way in helping Core Image deveopers on the go.



Of course this has all been said countless times before on here, but I think the biggest step for the Powerbooks right now wouldn't be a G5, It'd be the battery and FSB. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.



It'd be like putting a new driver instantly after getting his permit in the seat of a Nascar chassis... the car would be WAY too fast for the new driver, and an iminent crash would ensue.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 61
    Gods man, take your head out of the sand.



    The G5 dictates the use of a faster FSB. If there's a G5 in there, count on a 600-1.25Ghz FSB. It's part of the G5 architecture: end of story, problem solved.



    If Apple can get parts from IBM than give off the same amount of heat, they will consume approximately the same current from the battery. And considering Apple downgraded it's battery capacity (scum sucking penny pinchers) from the TiBook to the AlBook, they have some room for improvement if IBM is not able to keep power consumption down.



    ATI graphics will remain in the high end. Count on it.



    A NASCAR vehicle would be ideal to teach first time drivers how to drive; provided you removed the "left turn only" weights and tire bias. As Sterling Moss (a real driver) once said, the quickest way to learn the limits of a car is to quickly exceed them. But NASCAR's relatively primitive, visceral chassis/handling/driving characteristics would punctuate every lesson about weight transfer/tire grip with an exclamation point.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    [mod-invicible-text] +1 [/mod-invicible-text]



    Seriously, you need to do some homework before starting a new thread... A new thread that is totally unnessecary! Why didnt you just use one of the gazillion PBG5 other threads?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    It has only been two months, since the updated Powerbooks. We won't know for some time...
  • Reply 4 of 61
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,150member
    What's that old saying... a watched pot never boils?



    I'm looking forward to the PowerBook G5 like any other guy or gal on here, but geez, even I am starting to get pissed off reading a new and different PowerBook thread everytime I turn around. Go away and check back around June 6th will ya?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    what's NASCAR? Please don't compare Apple to a sport in which someone gets into a car and drives around in a circle 200 times....



    Quote:

    Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

    Gods man, take your head out of the sand.



    The G5 dictates the use of a faster FSB. If there's a G5 in there, count on a 600-1.25Ghz FSB. It's part of the G5 architecture: end of story, problem solved.



    If Apple can get parts from IBM than give off the same amount of heat, they will consume approximately the same current from the battery. And considering Apple downgraded it's battery capacity (scum sucking penny pinchers) from the TiBook to the AlBook, they have some room for improvement if IBM is not able to keep power consumption down.



    ATI graphics will remain in the high end. Count on it.



    A NASCAR vehicle would be ideal to teach first time drivers how to drive; provided you removed the "left turn only" weights and tire bias. As Sterling Moss (a real driver) once said, the quickest way to learn the limits of a car is to quickly exceed them. But NASCAR's relatively primitive, visceral chassis/handling/driving characteristics would punctuate every lesson about weight transfer/tire grip with an exclamation point.




  • Reply 6 of 61
    jvernonjvernon Posts: 10member
    Quote:



    Please don't compare Apple to a sport in which someone gets into a car and drives around in a circle 200 times....





    Regardless of what they may think in Alabama or Mississippi, driving a car around in a circle 200 times is NOT a sport.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jvernon

    Quote:



    Please don't compare Apple to a sport in which someone gets into a car and drives around in a circle 200 times....





    Regardless of what they may think in Alabama or Mississippi, driving a car around in a circle 200 times is NOT a sport.




    Yeah, if you want to compare it to a sport, compare it to Formula 1.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jvernon

    Quote:



    Please don't compare Apple to a sport in which someone gets into a car and drives around in a circle 200 times....





    Regardless of what they may think in Alabama or Mississippi, driving a car around in a circle 200 times is NOT a sport.




    Would you prefer chariot races?



    Try doing it at speed in traffic. Takes the lightning fast reflexes of a fencer with the endurance of any pro athlete. All the while the wall is ever present and the temp can top 120 degrees f oh yea and you are pulling g's.



    Would you prefer air races? Tell me that a pilot rounding cones isn't a sport. Or horse racing isn't a sport (the horse does all of the work)



    Any time you put competition into the mix you get sport.



    I would even go so far as to say Doom players and Quake players are involved in a sport.



    Sailboat races....



    rugby...



    badmitton...



    at least NASCAR involves fire once in a while....
  • Reply 9 of 61
    You're going to be very pleased with the new Powerbook, that's for sure! Last night I spoke with a friend who works at a very influential company in the computer business, and based on our conversation we're all in for a treat on the Powerbooks. Don't know when, and even if I did I couldn't say.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Why did you have to go out and make a comment about Nascar? To let everyone in on a little secret, most "race fans" are more into the idea of getting in an RV and drinking their brains out for three days. To their credit, ISC and Americrown (owner of tracks and concessioneers) do a very good job at hosting the event. It's a much cooler experience than a football or baseball game, event management alone.



    Yes, I'm biased. But I still think Nascar itself is a waste of time.



    As far as Powerbooks, there's no reason why we can't have everything. It's just matter of getting everything on a single die, which is the idea of the Freescale chips. Interestingly, IBM is doing a lot of peripheral consolidation also, and it's not out of the question that the "low power G5" will be more of a total system solution than just a processor that knows when to throttle itself.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    You're going to be very pleased with the new Powerbook, that's for sure! Last night I spoke with a friend who works at a very influential company in the computer business, and based on our conversation we're all in for a treat on the Powerbooks. Don't know when, and even if I did I couldn't say.



    My sources say we are in for a treat in the next 1000 years... At some point...
  • Reply 12 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    My sources say we are in for a treat in the next 1000 years... At some point...



    just in time for me to become buddha, can't wait
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    My sources say we are in for a treat in the next 1000 years... At some point...



    Ok, well I can say that it will be this year, and not in the last three months. How's that?



    I got some info on Powermacs too, but it's not any different from what MacRumors is saying so I won't post it.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    Ok, well I can say that it will be this year, and not in the last three months. How's that?





    Heh, very interesting, but what could it be? My guess is on a major case redesign and the CPU. But what processor apart the upcoming for this year 7448 (and which is not so much different from the 7447B now in the Powerbooks)?
  • Reply 15 of 61
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    Ok, well I can say that it will be this year, and not in the last three months. How's that?



    I got some info on Powermacs too, but it's not any different from what MacRumors is saying so I won't post it.




    So did you hear the words blue and ray, too?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    You're going to be very pleased with the new Powerbook, that's for sure! Last night I spoke with a friend who works at a very influential company in the computer business, and based on our conversation we're all in for a treat on the Powerbooks. Don't know when, and even if I did I couldn't say.



    Low power 3 core PPE based cpu from IBM. Up to 6 executibles per cycle w/ hyperthreading active. Running a minimum 2.0 GHz. at peak power of 25 watts.



    or not
  • Reply 17 of 61
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rickag

    Low power 3 core PPE based cpu from IBM. Up to 6 executibles per cycle w/ hyperthreading active. Running a minimum 2.0 GHz. at peak power of 25 watts.



    or not




    "hyperthreading" is an Intel gimmick. If you have three cores, then hyperthreading becomes kind of pointless, since it doesn't actually influence the way the processor works: just the way the OS sends it data.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    "hyperthreading" is an Intel gimmick. If you have three cores, then hyperthreading becomes kind of pointless, since it doesn't actually influence the way the processor works: just the way the OS sends it data.



    OK, not hyperthreading but SMT.

    Or, not SMT and 3 PPE cores, but 6 PPE cores and no SMT.



    or not.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    Ok, well I can say that it will be this year, and not in the last three months.



    ... in other words: Bonjour les nouveaux PowerBooks Ã* Paris 8)
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

    Originally posted by murk

    So did you hear the words blue and ray, too?



    Nothing either way. Nothing on HDs, either. So I guess it's not the same as the MacRumors scoop. Now that I look at MacRumors in detail, there's a few other differences as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.