Future Powerbooks...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    OK this is killing me - secondhand "insider" knowledge about new Powerbooks. My head says I should be very scepticle, but I really really want to believe Junkyard's promise about the new PB's. I especially liked the sentence "being in for a treat"... could you elaborate further, please...

Did your "friend" say anything about case design?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    To be honest, I am not really waiting for a G5 PowerBook. This is not only because I bought a G4 PowerBook (15"), but also because in some comparison charts shown in an IT magazine, the G5 only has major advantages in term of rendering movies and graphics (i.e. creating 3D objects in for instance Maya). Further, it will take a long time for a PowerBook with a G5 processor to come because the battery, space, and cooling-system are not up to holding a G5 aat the moment. Read this for more: The Register, and ZNET.

Greetz!
  • Reply 23 of 61
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    smashbrosfan, I'm in almost complete agreement with you. If Apple decides to stick with the G4 for their laptops, so be it. They can use the same processor AND upgrade everything else to 2005 standards. Like the mobo and(please...) an up to date graphics card (like what PC users get to enjoy...).

I've been using an Overam Mirage 8700 since last year now. This machine has been flawless. Too bad I can't say the same thing of Windows XP. I bought it as a desktop replacement after going round and round over purchasing a PC or Powerbook laptop. My reasons for going with the PC are well documented here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=47919

But I would gladly sell it for a Powerbook of approximate power, just so I could use Tiger... I'd miss Halflife 2 and Far Cry. I would not miss Windows...
  • Reply 24 of 61
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I really want to see dual-core G4s. However, from what I've read, the chip probably wouldn't be ready until early 2006. I think a dual-core G4 would be ideal, for Powerbooks.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I really want to see dual-core G4s. However, from what I've read, the chip probably wouldn't be ready until early 2006. I think a dual-core G4 would be ideal, for Powerbooks.

I still believe that the next Powerbook update will have a 7448. This fits nicely with the explicit reference to the 7448 chip found in the last CHUD update that Apple removed so quickly, and with the production schedule from Freescale (2H 2005).

Freescale said (officially) also that the dual core 8641D will enter production during 1H 2006. That is in time for the after-next powerbook update. Both 7448 and 8641D processors (much more the later) have some nice improvements to remove bottlenecks from the G4 chip we have now.

Let me cite once more the fact sheets for those chips:

MPC7448 PowerPC Processor

MPC8641D PowerPC Processor

With some real data from Freescale for future low-power mobile processors and no word from IBM on the same subject, I see it difficult to speculate. Things are almost certain. Only hope for an IBM chip would be some form of the PPE from the CELL architecture, but we hardly know anything about this one.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pilgrim73

To be honest, I am not really waiting for a G5 PowerBook. This is not only because I bought a G4 PowerBook (15"), but also because in some comparison charts shown in an IT magazine, the G5 only has major advantages in term of rendering movies and graphics (i.e. creating 3D objects in for instance Maya). Further, it will take a long time for a PowerBook with a G5 processor to come because the battery, space, and cooling-system are not up to holding a G5 aat the moment. Read this for more: The Register, and ZNET.

Greetz!

Maybe the G5 only has huge benefits with Quicktime, Graphics, and Memory-hungry applications, but as more and more G5-optimized code comes out I expect this to change. Tiger and QT7 is a major step, and I expect to see more as time progresses.

I'm smart enough to accept a decent performing G4 PowerBook, but that doesn't mean I won't dream of a G5 PowerBook like the rest of the masses!
  • Reply 27 of 61
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I still believe that the next Powerbook update will have a 7448. This fits nicely with the explicit reference to the 7448 chip found in the last CHUD update that Apple removed so quickly, and with the production schedule from Freescale (2H 2005).

I must agree with you PB. Early fall Powerbook perhaps? At least it would be a step in the right direction, and then the dual-core in 2006 would take it up even more. I'd be happy with this path.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    We probably won't look at a Powerbook until the dual core 8641D comes along. Our fellow HD and HDV video enthusiasts really want a machine with 64 bit functionality and and the capacity to edit and present 720p or 1080i video without a hiccup. Early in 2006 may be our first opportunity to try out this stuff. As to a G5 in a Powerbook, I don't care. Let's just get some serious performance going.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    I really can't wait for the next PowerBook. The 15" Aluminum FW 800 PB was introduced September 2003. I'm hoping for something a little more substantial than just a speed bump.

Wish list:

Higher resolution screen

Better speakers

better trackpad (now the trackpad is a little too close to the keyboard so my palm touches the pad while I type cause the mouse to jump around. Also means I can't use track pad clicking.)

Better battery life

quieter keyboard

change f9 and f10 to work with expose and let fn-f9 and fn-f10 control screen brightness

at least an option for optical 5.1 audio out

dual processor

easy access to the HD for user upgrades

better WiFi antenna

more FW ports

Sybaritic:

Do you really think that video processing will benefit from a 64 bit processor? I was under the impression that 64 bits mostly just buys you a much bigger memory space and doesn't change throughput all that much.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    originally posted by neutrino23:

Quote:

Sybaritic:

Do you really think that video processing will benefit from a 64 bit processor? I was under the impression that 64 bits mostly just buys you a much bigger memory space and doesn't change throughput all that much.

You're right in both respects, but the former can lead to a marked increase in performance. Try rendering at 80% of memory allocation in After Effects with double the current RAM configuration and you will see times improve markedly. I failed to mention that 7200 RPM drives will help, too, (let's hope we see them soon -- 5400 finally just became standard) as will the significantly higher bus the comes with the 8641D.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    There has been a lot of talk about a dual G4 processor PowerBook. Does anyone have any idea about whether this is only possible with a dual core chip or is there room to do this now with two low power G4s?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

There has been a lot of talk about a dual G4 processor PowerBook. Does anyone have any idea about whether this is only possible with a dual core chip or is there room to do this now with two low power G4s?

With the current 1" form factor, there probably isn't enough PCB space to put 2 7448 CPUs onto the motherboard. If it was a thicker form factor, Apple could possibly put a 7448 on each side of the board in the same location, or if they can stack the hard drive or optical drive on top of the board there could be enough space (like they do with the 12" laptop Macs).

2 7448 CPUs should have about the same power consumption as a 8641D at the same clock rate.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    My wish list circa Q1 06:

Powerbook G5

15" 1680x1120 (3:2) resolution TFT

Dual-core 970MP 1.8 GHz

512 MB 128-bit PC3200

160 GB SATA drive

$2000

It should be noted that a new Powerbook is about 4 months away in September. It'll take that long just to empty the channel. If there is a new Powerbook to be released in the next couple of months, it'll have to be a new lineup above the Powerbook G4, below the iBook G4 or a specialty notebook like an ultra lightweight.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Is H.236 optimized for multi-processors? If so, all the dual-core and dual proc. systems should get a significant speedup, Mac or PC. If the codec is 64-bit optimized but not multi-threaded, then the G5 should pay off more than a dual-core G4.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

My wish list circa Q1 06:

Powerbook G5

15" 1680x1120 (3:2) resolution TFT

Dual-core 970MP 1.8 GHz

512 MB 128-bit PC3200

160 GB SATA drive

$2000

and that combined with that wonderfull GeForce 5200
  • Reply 36 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

and that combined with that wonderfull GeForce 5200

What are you talking about? The 5200 was never in a 15" Powerbook.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    Even with an architecture change, you'll find the new powerbooks, whenever that may be - to be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary - over the current ones, both in terms of performance and form factor.

It may be 15 years old, but the folding laptop has so far proven itself to be a lasting design.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

With the current 1" form factor, there probably isn't enough PCB space to put 2 7448 CPUs onto the motherboard. If it was a thicker form factor, Apple could possibly put a 7448 on each side of the board in the same location, or if they can stack the hard drive or optical drive on top of the board there could be enough space (like they do with the 12" laptop Macs).

2 7448 CPUs should have about the same power consumption as a 8641D at the same clock rate.

With more clever battery placement (i.e. replacable but not removable), there is plenty of room for two 7448s. Will Apple do it? Hell no.

However, I have thought for a while that Apple should change the battery approach. It's not really a challege to fit ~62Wh (8 "large" cells) into a 15" if not confined to the standard paradigm of removable batteries. Hell, A clever designer could fit in 16 cells and maintain the current form factor, which incidentally would provide some serious battery life and still be cheaper than using costly Polymer LiIons in a much lower capacity removable battery. DVD would have to side-eject though.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What are you talking about? The 5200 was never in a 15" Powerbook.

I guess he's talking about the GPU in the current 12"...the Geforce Go 5200. Mat's after some 6200 or ATI 9700 action by the sounds of things.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    yep, i'd really like an option to get those Macs with a better GPU. (it doesnt have to be the default GPU, just a BTO option to get a better one)