Why Tomorrow Is THE Day

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I said it before I say it again.. if Tiger doesnt come tomorrow (which I really think it will) then it wont be announced until the day its actually available. If you want to have a pre-announce of the actual release date you do it tomorrow for several reasons.

#1) Apple reports 2Q Earnings next week Wednesday and they should want to include expected sales of Tiger in their 3Q guidance estimates.

#2) With so many "Pro" apps expected at NAB including 1 or 2 which will require Tiger and with the possibility of upgrades to the desktop computer line imminent you want Tiger released before then so it is pre-loaded on all those machines.

#3) After this week, earnings season starts on Wall Street and with all that news coming on a daily basis any release of Tiger would likely be overshadowed by the hundreds of other press releases coming out and that is not good for the stock.

#4) NAB is not a place you release a consumer operating system.. I work in broadcasting and this exhibition has nothing at all to do with the home user.. its 99% geared toward TV stations and movie studios etc.

Plus anything I might have missed.. If Apple wants to do things right they will announce it tomorrow.. if they dont do it tomorrow I wouldn't expect any announcement at all until the day its available on store shelves.

P.S. I dont expect another long thread to be started about this.. just didn't want to add to all the nonsense and off-topic stuff in the Gold Master thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    I don't know about that, but what I know with about a 66.6% accuracy is:

Code:

**** THE PROOF THAT TIGER IS EVIL ****

T I G E R

84 73 71 69 82 - as ASCII values

3 1 8 6 1 - digits added

\\_/ \\_/ \\_/ \\_/ \\_/

3 1 8 6 1 - digits added

Thus, "TIGER" is 31861.

Subtract 97 from the number - this is the year Vesuvius erupted, written backwards. It gives 31764.

Add 0791 to it - this is the year IBM announced S/370, written backwards - you will get 32555.

Subtract 38, the symbol of slavery. The result will be 32517.

Add 1983, the year Microsoft introduced Windows 1.0 - the result is 34500.

Turn the number backwards, and add 1778 - the year Oliver Pollock invented '$', the symbol of

exploitation, suffering and injustice. The number is now 2321.

This, when read backwards, gives 1232. This is 666 in octal, the number of the Beast...

Evil, QED.

( http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/evilfinder/ef.shtml )

If that's true, we're gonna be in a world of hurt.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    webavatar,

Great points!

I particularly agree about it not being released at NAB, and I also agree that they will want to have it announced, before next Wednesday's conference call. Oh, I so hope you're correct...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I am thinking of a little later date:

sorry here is some substance:

I think you make some valid points, but there is no shure way of knowing what will happen.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I am thinking of a little later date:

sorry here is some substance:

I think you make some valid points, but there is no shure way of knowing what will happen.

What do you mean? "We'll release Tiger as soon as hell has frozen over"?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    If 10.4 went GM on March 30th as reported, they can announce and paper launch the product at any time. But I would be very surprised if it were actually released any sooner than 3-4 weeks after that point. It need time to be manufactured and distributed.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

#1) Apple reports 2Q Earnings next week Wednesday and they should want to include expected sales of Tiger in their 3Q guidance estimates.

What does this have to do with it? They know what to include in their overall estimate, which is what they give during the conference call. There's never any breakdown by product line or area on future quarters, so why is a Tiger announcement *necessary* for their standard next quarter guidance?

If you're referring to the analyst firms needing it for their own estimates, meh. Whenever Apple does announce, it's shouldn't be that difficult for the analysts to make an estimate based on time left in the quarter, and update their EPS estimates accordingly.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Because Apple posts guidance for 3Q software arena based on expected sales, and if Tiger is already announced you can build in expectations of its sales which Apple has said previously that they expect it to double software sales at Apple stores. If Tiger is not released yet then they cannot offer shareholders a reason why they expect sales to increase and therefore people will be skeptical about this figure and it may cause downward pressure on the price of the stock which is exactly what Apple does not want. And since Apple does not offer updated or mid-quarter guidance on its earnings unless something hugely negative happens there is no reason for them to delay the announcement until after earnings. If they do then the updated guidance will most likely not be included in the forward-looking statements and from a business perspective this would be a negative for them.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

webavatar

_ posted 04-06-2005 03:47 PM _ _ _ _

_

Because Apple posts guidance for 3Q software arena based on expected sales, and if Tiger....''

no they don't but I agree that it makes sense to release Tiger before

conference call on 13 of April. For sure there will be lots of questions about it including expected sales and Oppenheimer will not comment on sales numbers. Apple Forward guidance pretty much limited to next quarter earnings
  • Reply 9 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermaven

What do you mean? "We'll release Tiger as soon as hell has frozen over"?

no,no, no. I meant "The Day After Tomorrow,"

it is a joke, that seems to have failed...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

Because Apple posts guidance for 3Q software arena based on expected sales, and if Tiger is already announced you can build in expectations of its sales which Apple has said previously that they expect it to double software sales at Apple stores. If Tiger is not released yet then they cannot offer shareholders a reason why they expect sales to increase and therefore people will be skeptical about this figure and it may cause downward pressure on the price of the stock which is exactly what Apple does not want. And since Apple does not offer updated or mid-quarter guidance on its earnings unless something hugely negative happens there is no reason for them to delay the announcement until after earnings. If they do then the updated guidance will most likely not be included in the forward-looking statements and from a business perspective this would be a negative for them.

I'll be surprised if they post any specific area's guidance. Again, estimate wise it's irrelevant because analysts can figure out how to incorporate a major software release into their own estimates, which is all the Street cares about.

By this reasoning, they have to pre-announce all software they may unveil at NAB (esp. if it's anywhere close to what AI is reporting), because it could have an adverse effect on estimates.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple announce Tiger soon. I don't care what timing it is relative to earnings announcement though.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    It will be out when it's done.

What I want to know is, will Safari be fixed in Tiger, or will it still have CPU "leaks", a sh!tty download manager, and a semi-useful green "optimize" button?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

It will be out when it's done.

What I want to know is, will Safari be fixed in Tiger, or will it still have CPU "leaks", a sh!tty download manager, and a semi-useful green "optimize" button?

semi-useful green "optiton".

Come on apple get a grip on yourself.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

no,no, no. I meant "The Day After Tomorrow,"

it is a joke, that seems to have failed...

I got it! It was pretty obvious I thought.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    owenowen Posts: 21member
    23:00 BST 06 Apr

UK Apple Store is down...

US store still up and no front page changes.

Don't they do preparatory changes just before the main Apple Store change?

Could just be logic 7.1?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I hate throwing fuel on the fire... but... ummm...

it's 11:21 pm EST (Boston)... there's no announcement... any follow-up as to why today WASN'T the day...?

• Reply 16 of 21
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott Finlayson

I hate throwing fuel on the fire... but... ummm...

it's 11:21 pm EST (Boston)... there's no announcement... any follow-up as to why today WASN'T the day...?

I think we've all gave up...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Read what I wrote above, and it will all make sense: it isn't coming until the rapture.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I can only oredict based on the rumours posted

If what TS and AppleInsider had posted before was true then it would have made sense to release it yesterday for all those reasons above.. now it appears in new reports that its still not ready and possibly not even GM yet.. not like I have insider knowledge only logic from a business perspective

I still expect that they will announce it before earnings or during.. but who knows
  • Reply 19 of 21
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Trying to save face now?

Nothing has been atypical about the rumors leading up to this release so we can't really blame the rumor sites for leading us astray. There are always correct and incorrect rumor reports. Credible analysts (and regular ole rumor mongers) realize this and build their credibility upon correct interpretation of said rumors.

Don't worry, we've all made incorrect predictions. The question is... can we take the high road when this happens?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    It's not the client version of Tiger still under dev... that HAS beed declared GM... it was (is) OS X SERVER (10.4) that is still finishing-up. I can only assume they are trying for a simultaneous release of both (?).