Academic versions of software

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    As for the finances, I'm lucky. I called my credit card company and they cut me a check for my computer. A fixed 4.75% on it. My regular rate is 9.5%. You might look into it if it an option for you.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by iMacfan:

<strong>

I have - Sibelius, the Music notation software. I have the full version, - at a price similar to final cut pro! This generates a code based on the hardware/software makeup of the computer. You have to register your computer's code, and you have then to go through a process of typing codes between the computer and another that you want to transfer the license to. I don't know what I'd do if my HD wiped out - I think I'd shout at the company until they gave me another code.

Great piece of software, though - should use it more!

David</strong><hr></blockquote>

We have that at college - the college politics between the systems department and the music department mean it's needed to have a new code quite a few times after changes to the computers. We tend to just shout at the company, like you say - one time, though, we were sick to death of trying to prove we legally owned these copies, so we warez-ed four copies of it onto four of the computers in the lab. It's sad when it's easier to pirate software you own than it is to install it!

Amorya
  • Reply 23 of 23
    My employer offers up to a $2,000 interest-free loan for home computer/peripheral purchases. The loan period is for one-year, and you can elect to have the payments auto-deducted from your pay checks. You can start a new loan as soon as the previous one is paid off.

This is a great program for a company that deals with creative projects as it encourages employees to have updated computers at home. The company benefits from staff members doing R&D for fun on their own time, which trickles back to company projects.

I always keep the loan active so I don't even miss the money in my pay check anymore. I usually replace my desktop Mac every two-years, and replace monitors, software, printers, etc. during the alternate years. I have always found that I can get at least half what I paid for my Mac hardware when I replace it at two-year intervals.