Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

Downloads window in Safari FINALLY shows KB/sec

YESSSSSSSS

I just noticed this too. Its about time! Only keyboard commands I miss so far are CMD -> and CMD <- for tab navigation. Since I usually use my right hand for those keys, the new { and } shortcuts make me move farther from the mouse. I'll probably switch it back, unless those keys are used for something special in Tiger.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Odd, *Shift*-Cmd--> and <- still work for me to navigate tabs, as they always did, but I see the new Cmd-{/} in the menu.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Something else...

If you have a bookmark group in your bookmark bar with a folder inside, the new version of Safari will open tabs for the links inside the folder too. The previous version skipped those and only opened the main links.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm sorry, but Safari still feels dead-slow to me.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I'm sorry, but Safari still feels dead-slow to me.

In that case I guess there is something seriously wrong with your setup. Safari 1.3 is a breeze compared to 1.2 .
  • Reply 46 of 65
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sissyfuzz

In that case I guess there is something seriously wrong with your setup. Safari 1.3 is a breeze compared to 1.2 .

sissy,

Ok, I have noticed the improvements in Safari. It seems to me on pages I don' thave in the cache Safari is slower than Firefox in the same scenario, but on pages I have already visited Safari seems quite fast. I do like it. I'm just a bit sad that it sped up already. I was hoping for Safari speed-up in Tiger, but not in Panther. haha

I also have Firefox tweaked, and it really speeds on my machine. The only thing I ever do to Safari is use SafariSpeed.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

./Library/Fonts/MarkerFelt.dfont

I wonder what's up with the update installing this font?

hey i like that font i always use it with iCards because it really is like writing with a felt-tip pen in nice handwriting
  • Reply 48 of 65
    downloading now at 100kbytes/sec. bloody hell finally getting close to the 1Mbps my telco promised (national-type-semi-government telco, just went through all the re-branding to look more cool and 'privatised') at least DSL has been smooth past several days

will report on Java here later on, hopefully.

edit: Java works okay for me

including balloon headed boy on www.java.com

• Reply 49 of 65
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Safari will now "unexpectedly quit" every time I either tell it to quit or close a window. This is very frustrating, I do not know what to do. This has only happened since I updated to 10.3.9 last night.

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 50 of 65
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Safari will now "unexpectedly quit" every time I either tell it to quit or close a window. This is very frustrating, I do not know what to do. This has only happened since I updated to 10.3.9 last night.

Any suggestions?

Do you have any additions or plug-ins installed? Take them out and look for updates. From my experience, the current versions of PithHelmet, AcidSearch, and WebDevAdditions all cause Safari 1.3 to crash on quit.

[Edit: Oops, I meant to say AcidSearch, not sogudi.]
  • Reply 51 of 65
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Sissy, you're confusing the speed of initial layout with the speed of the entire page load.

SafariSpeed changes one of the defaults that affects the initial layout speed at the expense of making a page load slower overall, and possibly even layout badly as some elements won't be available until the page loads completely.

Read http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...05.html#005496 for an explanation.

IME, with the default settings, Safari is now toasting Firefox for page loads, both initial and cached, unless you've also hacked Firefox to use persistent connections and more than the usual 4 requests at once to the server.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Hm, I get 9.4s in Safari, 13s in Camino 0.8, on a DP1.25GHz G4 (11.2s on Safari if I disable a processor). Something the matter with your G5?

Now if I had an adblock for Safari, I'd actually use it.

edit: usercontent.css works in Safari, yay

FWIW, on a FP iMac G4/800, Safari 1.3 gives me a time of 17.83s, Camino nightly 2005041408 gives me a time of 24.59 seconds. Same machine, Mac OS 10.3.9.

Pink and his team have their work cut out for them. Camino's tinderbox was broken lately; optimized G3/G4/G5 nightly builds have not worked lately, or if they did work, a bit of futzing with optimization flags was needed.

The trouble on Camino's tinderbox doesn't affect Camino 0.8.3. I like Camino for my web browsing, and hope to see some more optimization in it over the next few months.

EDIT: Update: just checked same website with Camino PPC 7450-optimized build (O-2 flag, O-3 flag is busted right now).

23.52 seconds, about 1.0 sec faster than official nightly. Oh, yes, code is from 20050418.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I've seen a lot of complaints about the change in saving images from the contextual menu. Ctrl-Clicking an image now only gives you an option to "Save Image to Downloads Folder", and you have to also hold down Option to get "Save Image As..." now.

Personally, I think that's better. Most folks will just be saving to their default download folder anyway, and this lets us bypass the save dialogue. And it's not difficult to get that dialogue if we want it.

Some folks seem really upset over the change, though.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Sissy, you're confusing the speed of initial layout with the speed of the entire page load.

SafariSpeed changes one of the defaults that affects the initial layout speed at the expense of making a page load slower overall, and possibly even layout badly as some elements won't be available until the page loads completely.

Read http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...05.html#005496 for an explanation.

IME, with the default settings, Safari is now toasting Firefox for page loads, both initial and cached, unless you've also hacked Firefox to use persistent connections and more than the usual 4 requests at once to the server.

i haven't really used FireFox on my iBook 933mhz 256mb because Safari has a much, much lighter system resources footprint, particulary when some :embarass BitTorrent-ing is happening in the background

Firefox is awesome on windows PCs though
  • Reply 55 of 65
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 988member
    Is anyone else noticing Safari to be a bit buggy with this update? It's crashing for me a lot when I've never noticed it to crash before (or hardly ever anyway)? Any suggestions?

iMac G5 1.8, 10.3.9
  • Reply 56 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

Is anyone else noticing Safari to be a bit buggy with this update? It's crashing for me a lot when I've never noticed it to crash before (or hardly ever anyway)? Any suggestions?

iMac G5 1.8, 10.3.9

Same thing here

usually when trying to load java content.

anyway to get back to the old version of safari once downloaded/installed?
  • Reply 57 of 65
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Same thing here

usually when trying to load java content.

anyway to get back to the old version of safari once downloaded/installed?

Open Terminal and type java -version

If you get something about "segmentation fault" you should reinstall Security Update 2005-002:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...34orlater.html

It seems that there is a problem with Java, if you upgraded to 10.3.9 without having Java 3D and JAI installed.

Security Update 2005-002 fixes the problem.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    umm not to gloat, this is just for info for the peoples having Safari problems....

i have experienced good Java and Safari performance and Azureus performance, currently running 10.3.9

output in Terminal for me:

R001:~ sunilraman$ java -version

java version "1.4.2_05"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-141.4)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-38, mixed mode)

cheers mateys...
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Open Terminal and type java -version

If you get something about "segmentation fault" you should reinstall Security Update 2005-002:

That was my problem. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    A site my company has been working just started having major Javascript problems with Safari 1.3. Some stuff works same as before, but some Javascripts totally break. At least I'll have that JavaScript console now.

I've also found that some relative paths used by JS have changed. Previously JS in Safari would open a URL the same as in FireFox, but now I'm getting urls that are one level deeper and thus to invalid pages.

Anyone else have problems?