Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.9

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    ./Library/Fonts/MarkerFelt.dfont

I wonder what's up with the update installing this font?
  • Reply 22 of 65
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Friday evening released Mac OS X 10.3.9, likely the final update to its Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" operating system. According to Apple, the 10.3.9 Update, recommended for all users, delivers overall improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther", including improvements to file sharing and directory services reliability for mixed Mac and PC networks; Mail, Safari and Stickies application reliability; compatibility for third-party applications and devices; and previous standalone security updates. It is available via the Software Update Control Panel.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Just ran some benchmarks on an iMac G5 1.8 - Power set to Highest Performance.

Javascript - http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/...s/benchjs.html

Safari 1.3 - 13.29 seconds

Firefox 1.03 - 27.2 seconds (flickery in places)

IE 5.23 - 54.21 seconds (mostly it was just slow at string manipulation, not display)

If I find some decent CSS and (X)HTML benchmarks I'll give them a try but javascript performance rocks!
  • Reply 24 of 65
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Mein Gott that's snap...

Ahem.

It's fast. Very, very fast. *quietly puts Firefox in storage*
  • Reply 25 of 65
    zzenzzen Posts: 9member
    HOLY SHIT -- I got that JavaScript benchmark down from 310s to 38s!! That's 815% improvement! Add to that the full DOM2 - now I can finally access all sections of my bank's online banking!

Check Hyatt's blog (link in post above) -- Safari 1.3 is smoking!
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

cause it's so hard to click 'update' and install it...

What's the fucking point? Point releases haven't always gone very smooth on the Mac and I have too much shit to get done in the next week.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Don't know if this is new or not with 1.3.

Clicked on an url. A message came up with Safari that the url had a space included which shouldn't be there. Then it opened the page. New feature?

What is also interesting about the Hyatt Blog is that he talks about things in Tiger that will make Safari 2 even faster than 1.3! Good news.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Just ran some benchmarks on an iMac G5 1.8 - Power set to Highest Performance.

Javascript - http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/...s/benchjs.html

Safari 1.3 - 13.29 seconds

Firefox 1.03 - 27.2 seconds (flickery in places)

IE 5.23 - 54.21 seconds (mostly it was just slow at string manipulation, not display)

If I find some decent CSS and (X)HTML benchmarks I'll give them a try but javascript performance rocks!

Hm, I get 9.4s in Safari, 13s in Camino 0.8, on a DP1.25GHz G4 (11.2s on Safari if I disable a processor). Something the matter with your G5?

Now if I had an adblock for Safari, I'd actually use it.

edit: usercontent.css works in Safari, yay
  • Reply 29 of 65
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I'm very impressed with the new Safari after having run Firefox for the past few months... just waiting for an updated version of PithHelmet and I might make it my primary browser again.

For those on the fence, I would definitely recommend 10.3.9 just for these updates.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Things I have noticed after installing 10.3.9

I definitely agree that Safari is much faster but am I the only one who has noticed it plays gifs like at double the speed they are supposed to be? Gifs also seem to take a lot of processor power.

Find a page of animated gifs and everything will look hi-speed.

Also the Genie effect seems different, I don't know if its smother or faster, it just seem slicker.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Hm, I get 9.4s in Safari, 13s in Camino 0.8, on a DP1.25GHz G4 (11.2s on Safari if I disable a processor). Something the matter with your G5?

Now if I had an adblock for Safari, I'd actually use it.

edit: usercontent.css works in Safari, yay

You may have a faster graphics card than the fx5200 Ultra in the iMac.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

A Radeon 9000 isn't that much faster, is it?

Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I'm very impressed with the new Safari after having run Firefox for the past few months... just waiting for an updated version of PithHelmet and I might make it my primary browser again.

There's a workaround posted on macupdate:

+ Find the "PithHelmet.bundle" file -- probably in /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

+ ctrl-click on the "PithHelmet.bundle" file, and select "Show Package Contents"

+ Inside the "Contents" folder, double-click the "Info.plist" file. It should launch the "Property List Editor" app.

+ Expand "Root", then expand "SIMBLTargetApplications", then expand "0".

+ Double-click the number ABOVE 125 (MaxBundleVersion) and change it to 312.

+ Save and quit the editor.

+ Relaunch Safari -- done!
  • Reply 33 of 65
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    OH OH OH OH!!1.11111

Downloads window in Safari FINALLY shows KB/sec

YESSSSSSSS

(oh, a snoted above)

Also

>./System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac9_1_ThermalProfile.kext

is the current G5 the 9_1 or is the 9_1 an as-yet-unreleased model?

• Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Also the Genie effect seems different, I don't know if its smother or faster, it just seem slicker.

I agree. I haven't been playing around with my Mac since 10.3.9, but minimizing happens more quickly and it's more fluid. I didn't think I could be happier with the genie effect.

Also something that got me on <10.3.8 is that typing in a text box (the ones you type your replies to threads in) in Safari seemed to hesitate and always play catch up. Now it's right then when I type rather than those few milliseconds it took before.

SOOOOO all these little speed boosts have got us talking:

"Wow it's so much faster... Imagine this is only a point update and people say Tiger is even faster/more fluid... I must by Tiger now."

Very nice ploy on Apple's part.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

is the current G5 the 9_1 or is the 9_1 an as-yet-unreleased model?

The current Power Mac is not PowerMac 9,1. There has been some debate on what this actually represents...it's a G5 of some sort, however, I don't think it's directly attributable to the SP G5 1.8 as some have suggested.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

I scored 8.3 in Safari on my imac g5... he must need a restart or something.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

A Radeon 9000 isn't that much faster, is it?

No. In theory the fx5200 is about 30% faster than the 9000 so I don't know what's going on there. Maybe this test is just something the G4 does better than the G5? Perhaps it can optimise the loops better on the G4.

In any case, it's still a load faster than it was before, and faster than Firefox too.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

I scored 8.3 in Safari on my imac g5... he must need a restart or something.

Possibly. I'll try after a reboot.

Possibly I've got something else running in the background taking up CPU time I'm not aware of.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Ugh.

They changed the view source key command to command+option+U

That's utterly retarded.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

Ugh.

They changed the view source key command to command+option+U

That's utterly retarded.

So change it back. I had to do the same thing with next/prev tab.