Tiger GM Leaked? (no links so don't bother asking)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From Thinksecret

Quote:

Gold Master of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) has been making the rounds in file-trading circles.

A 2.5GB disc image of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger appeared on the servers of highly regarded ripping groups this past weekend, some two weeks before its official release. Details are scarce on where the disc image, which installs Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build 8A428, originated from but the file is slowly making its ways to more and more servers and will likely end up on file sharing networks later this week.

With all the recent apple legal activity where the hell dod these guys get a copy of Tiger from to leak ?

Is it possible it was intentional, to seek out the mole with a crippled version ?

Is this a good or a bad thing ?

Hurry up mr postman with my PAID for copy from apple

j.

edit: can a mod change the title to "Tiger GM Leaked? (no links don't bother asking)" thanks (dumbass ) (Done- JL)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Yes it's out

Yes it's 428

Is 428 GM as its claimed to be? We'll find out in a few more days. But all indications seem to validate that 428 is GM.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Blimey !!! where did they get it from ? Apple ?

j.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I have no clue where the origins are from.

Overall there must be thousands of real official copies worldwide. From copies being installed in computers all over the place, country affiliates, top developers, etc...

it's inevitable. It took MUCH longer than Panther though. The day after Panther was declared GM it was already out. Tiger took a week!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Could be worse it could be like Windows.. There are places where u can get every single build of Windows OS's being developed the minute they are released.. its really insane. I mean who is that much into an OS that you NEED every single build much less crappy winblows
  • Reply 5 of 46
    I was reading an article in Wired a while back about movies being traded about on the internet. They said that the most common way for a DVD to get stolen and then released early was for a worker at the duplication facility to take a copy that had been damaged in some way and thrown away. Their example was if the label on the DVD had somehow gotton messed up (off center or ink smudge or torn or whatever) then that DVD would be discarded. So some worker just happens to pick up the "worthless" disk and uses it for his/her own use. I expect the same thing happens with software all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

Could be worse it could be like Windows.. There are places where u can get every single build of Windows OS's being developed the minute they are released.. its really insane. I mean who is that much into an OS that you NEED every single build much less crappy winblows

This type of thing happened with builds of 10.1. Many many builds since MWSF demo were avaialible online (not legally, of course).

Apple has really cracked down on Tiger.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    I think the most likely theory is that Apple released it. For the scum of the earth who would download... they weren't going to pay for it in the first place. So rather then fraction up the OS X users.. they can push adoption by letting the 'bad guys' have it.

Let me try and put it this way.

If you don't leak it, someone else eventually will and they aren't going to pay anyway. Difference is that the posted version could contain *evil* code etc. to do bad things.

If you do leak it, you still don't get the money but you *do* drive up adoption rates from the lowest common denominator....internet sludge.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vulpine

I'll bet that the "leaked Tiger GM" is just a copy of 8A425 or earlier with the version string edited (easy to do; it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist) and some unpleasant "surprises" added. What better way to spread mayhem, gain notoriety, and knock Apple down a peg, than to get lots of people to download a trojan horse in the form of the OS update everybody wants to get before it's released?

It looks like the leak is the real deal according to all the forums I have read.

Only a week to go :-)

j.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I'm very tempted to find a copy to use as a test on my old (unused) iMac. I've ordered my Mac OS X Tiger DVD but it's 9 days away!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Ok, let me get this straight:

This *IS* the GM, it´s the very same one as being bundled and sold. There are no "unpleasant surprises", and as far as I can tell, it is as stable as Panther.

MacCrazy: Google is your brother in crime (literally)....
  • Reply 11 of 46
    You guys need some tin foil hats. Apple really is out to get you. They fly by in black helicopters at night and the evil ninjas infect your machine.

Either that or someone illegally leaked the correct version of the program, just like always.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eupfhoria

You guys need some tin foil hats. Apple really is out to get you. They fly by in black helicopters at night and the evil ninjas infect your machine.

Either that or someone illegally leaked the correct version of the program, just like always.

But were they nice enough to remove the debugg code this time???
  • Reply 13 of 46
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iGrover

I was reading an article in Wired a while back about movies being traded about on the internet. They said that the most common way for a DVD to get stolen and then released early was for a worker at the duplication facility to take a copy that had been damaged in some way and thrown away. Their example was if the label on the DVD had somehow gotton messed up (off center or ink smudge or torn or whatever) then that DVD would be discarded. So some worker just happens to pick up the "worthless" disk and uses it for his/her own use. I expect the same thing happens with software all the time.

I knew a guy that had worked for WEA (media manufacturer for Warner Bros., etc.) that had told me it was as simple as grabbing a disk (sans packaging) off the line and slipping it into your pocket, which he often did. There was often talk among the employees of management springing spontaneous exit checks to make sure that employees weren't stealing cds but my friend never witnessed any checks and it was common practice for many of the employees to sneak out disks. I can't imagine that Apple's manufacturer is locked down much tighter than WEA.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Ok, let me get this straight:

This *IS* the GM, it´s the very same one as being bundled and sold. There are no "unpleasant surprises", and as far as I can tell, it is as stable as Panther.

See what happens if you try and sync your login.keychain to dot-mac. That will give us the answer.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The GM OS is one thing, but external services (like .Mac) could still need server-side updates. This is one reason I'd suggest holding off on any OS until it officially available.

Hell you could even legitimately receive a Tiger DVD from Apple, but I bet they won't officially support it until after launch day.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

MacCrazy: Google is your brother in crime (literally)....

I can't find it!
  • Reply 17 of 46
    I got it today (hint: Engadget), gonna install it on my iBook now... a week before my DVD arrives.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

I got it today (hint: Engadget), gonna install it on my iBook now... a week before my DVD arrives.

I give up I'm too stupid to find it!! I'll have to wait 9 days.

Edit: 8 days now!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    MacCrazy,

Well, we can think of it like this. Since we've never seen Tiger, we're going to be in for a real treat next Friday. The people who have it already do not have anything to look forward to next Friday.

Ok, I know that doesn't help a lot, but it is true. We're going to be in for a great day next week! However, the days go so slow, and I have a huge presentation to give early next week, once that is over, I will feel I can wait.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I manage to snatch one

It's GM (build number removed)

It's 8a428

While it that can be hacked, it's too much effort to as pdfs etc are also cleaned etc.

Very nice indeed tiger is. Very slick. For anyone that also has it, make sure your spotlight indexing is finish(mine took 30 min from startup). As before then it takes a heck of a lof of cpu/hd power, and slows some functions to a crawl.

My initial impression...

I'm in love with Dashboard... even if it was for one reason... it has TRANSLATION widget! so in love when you talk with non english people, and just conviently copy and paste it when you don't know what their saying.

My japanese was never that good, but this saved me so much time, compared to the old way i had to go about translating.

Dictionary widget is nice too.

oh yea it's also snappier =p.