• Reply 142 of 166
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    MY PB has finally shipped!!!

guess i will get it in a few days
  • Reply 143 of 166
    tboxmantboxman Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by catalyst

There's nothing wrong with your RAM; it's the test. No kidding! Read this on MacNN forums and Apple's own discussion forums.

I haven't read this yet, but I'll search now. Thanks for the tip.

I do believe it's the RAM though. When I have the "bad" ram installed my PowerBook will occasionaly go to a blue screen, hold for about 1 second then a black screen for about 1 second then back to the finder with no windows open. All my running applications have quit and, of course, no work saved.

I called Apple and they said it was something called the Window Server Manager (or something like that). I did an archive and restore from the original DVD. They said if the problem continues, check the ram.

Well, it continued, I checked the RAM and it showed that it was bad. Took it out, and the problem stopped. Got replacement RAM, tested it, and it also showed bad. I left it in as an experament, and the problem returned.

Then I took it out, and put the original RAM in the second slot and tested it to see if maybe the RAM slot was defective. It passed the test and I haven't had the Window Server Manager problem while using this configuration.

I just recieved my third RAM chip, and it's testing right now.

Wish me luck,

TBoxman
  • Reply 144 of 166
    I looked on MacNN and Apple but didn't find any forums about Apple Hardware Test giving false results on RAM tests. I don't doubt they are there, but my quick look didn't find them.

Anyway, I installed the new RAM and it passed the test. I have only been running it for about a hour, but no Window Server Manager problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Incidentally, the Samsung memory that came with the PowerBook has 16 chips on it (8 per side). The first two pieces of memory I recieved were PC2700 RAM and were supposed to be certified for this computer. They had 8 chips on them (4 per side). This last piece of memory, from the same supplier, has 16 chips per side but they are slightly smaller than the Samsung RAM.

Glad to have that over. I've wasted alot of time installing, testing, and dealing with crashes over this issue.

TBoxman
  • Reply 145 of 166
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Really enjoyed your posts, TBoxman !

Sorry you have had thses nasty problems.

Sincerely,

Dr. L
  • Reply 146 of 166
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    one nineteen fity

• Reply 147 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMerlin

i've had my pb 17 for over three weeks now and its performing perfectly. Its been handling all of my video/dvd production requirements, virtual pc needs and developement chores. A pleasure to use. Friends who come over are amazed ('pc' friends) at how beautiful "a" machine can be. They always comment on the mini-me yo commerical. That was a great marketing tactic on apples part!!

otherwise.. no problems... no compliaints.. only kudos to apple for creating this machine for us!!

bm

What's it like to work at Apple?

• Reply 148 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike

What kind of review is this?

"We can't deny that this is a rock star's notebook, what with its hot, new design; standard, built-in DVD burning and wireless networking; and awesome backlit keyboard. But the $3,299 17-inch PowerBook performs about the same as its 15-inch predecessor, and it's extremely awkward to carry. If you want an attractive, not-very-portable Mac with a 17-inch LCD and a DVD burner, an iMac is more than $1,000 cheaper."

Hence the major difference between the 15" and 17" but yet it is STILL portable unlike an iMac.

The reviewer is an idiot. The size of the 17 inch LCD neccesitates its "awkward shape."

It's like saying "Godzilla rules and all, but he's a big green monster."

It's not designed to be the most portable laptop. That's what the 12 inch PowerBook is for!

Next thing you know, CNET will start faulting Desktops because they aren't that portable.

Gimme a break.

Does she so easily forget that Dell and Company would fit a 17 inch screen within an enclosure that's twice as thick?

Then they'll reconsider.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    They gave the Alienware Area 51 a score of 7 for design. The main focus?

"The Area 51m's plastic case is a real eye-catcher"

Wwwait a second.

That wonderfully plastic case varies in depth from 1.9 inches to 2.4 inches!

Apparently, it's been catching a lot of eye.

Design doesn't count for much since the 17 inch PowerBook received a score of only one point higher. Given the fact that Apple fit an LCD screen that's one inch larger into an enclosure that's two times to two and one half times thinner than its apparent design "rival", I think the scores should have differred by a bit more.

But that's just me.

Sigh...
  • Reply 150 of 166
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    2.4 inches thick... sounds like a PowerBook 3400c!
  • Reply 151 of 166
    Just wanted everyone to know that since replacing that bad RAM chip, my 17" has been performing wonderfully. I just finished editing an animation in iMovie and wrote it to DVD for a presentation to our biggest client's Board of Directors. Everyone in the office was amazed at the results.

My only complaint isn't with the laptop. It's flawless now. It's with iMovie. It doesn't edit quicktime files. They have to be exported as a DV Stream and that loses so much information the resulting image looks fuzzy. I'm working with animation and not video so that may be the problem. It's curious to me that Apple invented QuickTime and now seems to be favoring DV in it's editors. Even Final Cut Express doesn't edit QuickTime, only Final Cut Pro.

To get around this, I was able to save out still frames from the animation, import them into iMovie and make the trasitions there. I exported those and cut and pasted the whole thing together with QuickTime Pro. What a kludge!

TBoxman
  • Reply 152 of 166
    I have had my PB 17 for three days now and it has preformed flawless as well. so, far no restarts and i am knocking on wood. it also feals a lot tougher than the TI i had. pressing on the back of the screen is less does not make weirdness. pictures do not do this thing justice. when you hold it in your hand and look at the precission this machine was put together with it is awesome. it has lots of little curves. the keybord is the best keybord i ever saw on a laptop even without the backlit display.
  • Reply 153 of 166
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

the keybord is the best keybord i ever saw on a laptop

(assuming it is a typo)

[ot]

definition of irony: spelling "idiot" wrong when flaming someone else about stupidity

[/ot]
  • Reply 154 of 166
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    "Apple in 'a'-key quality control shocker!"
  • Reply 155 of 166
    have any of you experienced dead pixels on your 17inch...
  • Reply 156 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by JC

the keybord is the best keybord i ever saw on a laptop

Originally posted by Paul

(assuming it is a typo)

[ot]

definition of irony: spelling "idiot" wrong when flaming someone else about stupidity

[/ot]

the irony that spelling and "idiot" do not always go together.

OK, have you ever heard about that right and left brain thing. I am a creative, I draw, paint and write. When i am in my creative mode i do not spell. when i am doing re writes and punctuation i spell very well but i am not as creative. Also after 2:00 am I do not spell and also I am a BAD typest.

what did mean about flaming someone else for stupidity?

were you talking about me or you?
  • Reply 157 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

the irony that spelling and "idiot" do not always go together.

OK, have you ever heard about that right and left brain thing. I am a creative, I draw, paint and write. When i am in my creative mode i do not spell. when i am doing re writes and punctuation i spell very well but i am not as creative. Also after 2:00 am I do not spell and also I am a BAD typest.

what did mean about flaming someone else for stupidity?

were you talking about me or you?

I think he was just pointing out that you were complementing the keyboard, and then missed the "a" key. He thought it was funny, but wasn't very pleasant in presenting this "joke".

Personally, I misspell when I read. So I had to read his post about three times before I noticed the missing "a" and the figured out what he was getting at.

The idiot comment was uncalled for IMHO.

Terry
  • Reply 158 of 166
    One of my favorite features of this laptop is the need to very seldom restart. When I'm thru working for the day, I close it and disconnect everything. Then off I go with my "office in a bag".

When I get to the office in the morning, I connect an external HD and an external 21" Monitor. Open the laptop up and it recognizes the second display and automatically moves the menus there. When I'm at home it automatically moves the menus back to the internal display.

I know that has been in the OS for a while, but it's still one of my favorite features of Mac laptops. That and Location Manager make PowerBooks superior to any other laptop.

TBoxman,
  • Reply 159 of 166
    I L ve my PB 17!!!!

Right now I am sitting by my pool, Listening to talk radio (http://www.krla870.com/), Working on some headshots for a beautiful woman and transfering the final versions to the computer in the house so that they can be printed.

This machine rocks. It never bogs down and i have never had to do a force restart yet!
  • Reply 160 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

I think he was just pointing out that you were complementing the keyboard, and then missed the "a" key. He thought it was funny, but wasn't very pleasant in presenting this "joke".

Personally, I misspell when I read. So I had to read his post about three times before I noticed the missing "a" and the figured out what he was getting at.

The idiot comment was uncalled for IMHO.

Terry

thanks, though i am not sorry it was brought up. It is facinating to me how different people process information differently. I am known for being able to draw people from memmory and yet it is really hard for me to remember my family and friends birthdays. the best portrait artist i ever knew (genius) could barely distinguish the difference between cars. So you have trouble spelling when you read. What comes to you really easy?