iMac ship times delayed with new models in the pipeline

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple and Macintosh news site MacNN.com is first to note that Apple's online store has extended the shipping timeframe for iMac G5 orders to 5-7 business days. Meanwhile, other tipsters note that built-to-order configurations are reflecting wait times of 7-10 business days. Previous reports indicated that Apple could begin releasing a slew of new CPU-based hardware offerings as early as Tuesday. There is still a chance that Apple will hold off hardware introductions to the first week of May, sources warned.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 61
    I think this is actually just an adjustment to correct the *falsly* positive news story broken earlier with the following link.



    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1020



    Ship dates change all the time. Gasp!



    EDIT: Why not merge with the "A glimmer of hope..... " thread.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,131member
    Sounds about right. We get Revb iMacs in May and then Rev C in January.



    Hmmm I'm in a bit of a quandry. I was planning on buying an iMac in Oct but if they announce now then the it will be a bit long in the tooth by Oct and I might be better off to wait for MWSF for the iMac Revc unless Apple wishes to do another lengthy cycle for the iMac refresh.



    That has me thinking. I should just grab a mini in Oct and see how things go. When the revc iMac comes I then decide if I want to keep the mini or sell and apply towards iMac. Decisions decisions decisions.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    Apple and Macintosh news site MacNN.com is first to note that Apple's online store has extended the shipping timeframe for iMac G5 orders to 5-7 business days. Meanwhile, other tipsters note that built-to-order configurations are reflecting wait times of 7-10 business days. Previous reports indicated that Apple could begin releasing a slew of new CPU-based hardware offerings as early as Tuesday. There is still a chance that Apple will hold off hardware introductions to the first week of May, sources warned.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]




    I'm personally kind of interested from a marketing perspective to see how Apple times the intro of new models. Right now their primary marketing efforts on Tiger, I wonder how long it will take them to move the spotlight (hehe) to new hardware offerings.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Maybe it is just the 512 mb update for Tiger?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AquaMac

    Maybe it is just the 512 mb update for Tiger?



    I think you hit it on the nose.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AquaMac

    Maybe it is just the 512 mb update for Tiger?



    If I had to guess, that's what I'd bet on.



    I think a new configuration with more memory standard, and a slightly better graphics card, would make this appealing for people who's machines just can't quite hack Tiger at the present moment.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    If they're going to upgrade the video card, they might as well bump the procs, too. Hell, the proc update would take less effort than upgrading the video card, which would require a motherboard redesign...
  • Reply 8 of 61
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    What if these shipping delays are simply attributable to these Macs being fitted with Tiger and some changes to the standard RAM?



    OTOH, eMacs, iMacs, iBooks and PMs are all due for upgrades. Apple might as well update the OS along with some of the specs. We're also getting into the education buying seasonÑall the more reason to update the consumer Macs.



    Oh but please, let's not have a PM update like Think Secret would have us believe. Please let them be wrong on that one. It'd be so dishearteningly lame.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by D.J. Adequate



    I think a new configuration with more memory standard, and a slightly better graphics card...




    Do you mean the 23" model ?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    smalmsmalm Posts: 654member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    Apple and Macintosh news site MacNN.com is first to note that Apple's online store has extended the shipping timeframe for iMac G5 orders to 5-7 business days.



    This in Australia, Canada and the US.



    24 hours at several online stores in europe - as in France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and the UK. Japan - same business day.



    Next rumor please
  • Reply 11 of 61
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 560member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    I think you hit it on the nose.



    it really shouldn't be too unbelievable to see the updates. After all the iMac is nearly a year old. recall it was desgned and set to ship around this time last year but IBM had no chips. That means the specs have been the same for a year. I nice little speed bump and other minor changes would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gamblor

    If they're going to upgrade the video card, they might as well bump the procs, too. Hell, the proc update would take less effort than upgrading the video card, which would require a motherboard redesign...



    While I agree that minor CPU speedbumps shouldn't be a big deal, I'm not sure that upgrading the iMac's video chip would be as difficult as you suggest.



    Given that Apple has a tendancy to introduce a new model and then gradually tweak it over a number of years, I think it's safe to assume that the engineers of the iMac design gave consideration to the need for future video chipset upgrades.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chagi

    While I agree that minor CPU speedbumps shouldn't be a big deal, I'm not sure that upgrading the iMac's video chip would be as difficult as you suggest.



    Given that Apple has a tendancy to introduce a new model and then gradually tweak it over a number of years, I think it's safe to assume that the engineers of the iMac design gave consideration to the need for future video chipset upgrades.




    Well, I'm not suggesting that changing the video would be all too difficult-- just that changing the processor would be easier. All they have to do is pop in the new processor and change a few resistors (maybe change the firmware, too). Changing the video chip would involve redesigning part of the motherboard. I'm sure it's not THAT big of a deal, but if they're going to go to the trouble of changing the video, the processor would be easy by comparison.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by salmonstk

    After all the iMac is nearly a year old.



    One year old ? Eight months I would say.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chagi

    I'm personally kind of interested from a marketing perspective to see how Apple times the intro of new models. Right now their primary marketing efforts on Tiger, I wonder how long it will take them to move the spotlight (hehe) to new hardware offerings.



    I really hope Apple is going to release all of their speed and RAM-bumped product BEFORE or concurrent with Tiger's release, because lots of people have been putting off a computer purchase until Tiger's release. If these people buy one of these models on Friday, and the 'new and improved' version comes out on Monday, these people are going to be plenty pi$$ed at Apple (and the poor, innocent schmuck salesman that sold it to'em). But, thankfully, it looks like tomorrow (Wednesday) is the day. Hallelujah !
  • Reply 16 of 61
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Rolo

    OTOH, eMacs, iMacs, iBooks and PMs are all due for upgrades. Apple might as well update the OS along with some of the specs. We're also getting into the education buying seasonÑall the more reason to update the consumer Macs.



    I would expect, at the minimum, the eMacs and iBooks to get graphics cards that are fully compatible with Core Image, but staying at 32MB (same goes for the Mac Mini when it gets refreshed). Hopefully, the memory will bumped to 512MB, but it will still be 256 soldered on the board and the other 256 in the free slot. I do not expect the iBooks to handle more than 1.25GB of RAM while using the current design or while the PowerBooks use a G4.



    A simple upgrade for the iMacs would be to have AirPort Extreme built-in and an option to get a 128MB graphics card for all models. If they bump the memory to 512MB they should have 2/265MB modules for the increased speed from having matched memory, but still have BTO options like they do now.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Dang it. New PM's released but not iMac's. Oh where, Oh where are the new iMac's? I'm trying to wait here patiently, but it is getting hard!



  • Reply 18 of 61
    Fascinating.



    This one guy told me that the only reason for the Powermac speed bump was to make room for faster iMacs. He said Apple makes more money on the iMacs and let them govern the low end speed of the Powermacs, not vice versa. I don't know if I believe but he does make some sense.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

    Fascinating.



    This one guy told me that the only reason for the Powermac speed bump was to make room for faster iMacs.




    Which "one guy"?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    Which "one guy"?



    It was me. I can't help but engage in deception from time to time.



    Sorry
Sign In or Register to comment.