Amazon lists new Power Mac G5 models for pre-order

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Because AMD has been ramping up their clock speed so much higher than IBM.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2...5/index.x?pg=1

283 watts of heat for the dual core AMD. How hot is a G4 or G5?

I now see the end of the speed advance for the personal computer - when AMD gets to 2400 watts total power consumption, they will require more than a dedicated 20 amp circuit...
  • Reply 22 of 73
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm confident the dual 2.7 is going to be Air cooled along with the dual 2.3. Apple has been grasping at straws trying to drop that liquid cooler because of a short life.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

hahahahahaha.... "Say Hello to Hans Blix's worst nightmare."

tee hee he hee hee

Haaanss Brixx at Cupertino headquarters

"GRGGGhh you won't get away with this, steve! gahrghhh!!
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

tee hee he hee hee

a laugh a day keeps bad updates at bay...
  • Reply 25 of 73
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

tee hee he hee hee

Haha! Thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Another 6 month wait for nextgen hardware isn't going to kill anyone.

Yeah and I bet there are people out there who are reading these new specs and cursing that they've been holding off for the last six months...
  • Reply 27 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Placebo. Many of us do not share your love of AMD processors. Note that AMD is at a max 2.8Ghz for their processors which means these machines are current as far as CPU speed.

Motherboard tech is another story but then AMD isn't a huge player there by choice.

I'm rather ambivalent about these upgrades. Consumers won't like them because they have to amortize over 4-5 years. However If I'm a Pro I'm not that eager to move to an unproven tech in PCI-Express(especially considering that there are adapters that can give support).

Another 6 month wait for nextgen hardware isn't going to kill anyone.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated that there's no Mac that can truly compete with the same equivalent in price bracket PC in terms of raw performance. Perhaps this will change soon, however, for now, it's an issue.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Why not just buy a PC with the speed you want, and hold out on buying a PMG5 until Apple gets serious about performance, or you should buy an older system to complement your PC workstation. I'm having a ton of trouble myself with deciding on purchasing a PMG5 anytime soon. I might just buy an iBook. It's practically the same performance as the PMG5 anyways. \
  • Reply 29 of 73
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Yeah and I bet there are people out there who are reading these new specs and cursing that they've been holding off for the last six months...

You have NO idea!!! Course this rumor was broke to me a little at a time, but it looks to be true at this point. I laugh now at all the conspiracy thoughts that were presented over the last week... LOL \

Looks like I'm going with a powerbook... damn apple!
  • Reply 30 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Sorry, I'm just frustrated that there's no Mac that can truly compete with the same equivalent in price bracket PC in terms of raw performance. Perhaps this will change soon, however, for now, it's an issue.

Hey man I know what you mean. In fact we all thought that all the CPU companies would have faster CPU. Now that reality has hit it's a bit of a bummer because there are still ways of tapping your CPU power heavily whether it be 3D or video encoding.

Who would have thought that Steve would have been so far off when he claimed we'd be at "3Ghz in a year" ouch. I blame him for causing my pain
  • Reply 31 of 73
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

[i]

and as for ppl who dont like this update, dare i ask what comp ur using... macs are still the best, its not steve's fault ur running Powermac G4s at 450...GOSH! [/B]

• Reply 32 of 73
    All three just got yanked from Amazon. Still exist but can't be pre-ordered.

"This item is currently not available"

Still lists tomorrow's date though... lame.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

The lesson is that you should buy when you need. There is always something better in the future.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:

tee hee he hee hee

If more people listened to Hans Blix in this country US soldiers would not be giving their lives for oil companies. Boy that's so funny. I hated that South Park movie after enjoying the show for sometime. Those small town moralists haven't a clue to what is happening outside of the US, like most Americans. No I not from Europe but 11th generation American if that means anything to ya.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kerryb

If more people listened to Hans Blix in this country US soldiers would not be giving their lives for oil companies. Boy that's so funny. I hated that South Park movie after enjoying the show for sometime. Those small town moralists haven't a clue to what is happening outside of the US, like most Americans. No I not from Europe but 11th generation American if that means anything to ya.

Maybe, but there's a forum for that sort of discussion and it's not this one...
  • Reply 36 of 73
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ROFLMAO... thats one of the funniest scenes of any movie...

HANS BRIXX FUCK YOUUUU!!!

• Reply 37 of 73
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

ROFLMAO... thats one of the funniest scenes of any movie...

HANS BRIXX FUCK YOUUUU!!!

"or else what?"

"or else we will send you a very angry letter!"
  • Reply 38 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If the 2.7 is air cooled and comes with a rotisserie attachment, it might be worth it.

Time for pizza. 8)
  • Reply 39 of 73
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Just add some paint and charge another $100 Now that sounds like the Apple we love. It could happen since their cpu's are frozen or rather water cooled.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't see these being available until Friday. Apple's not going to sell PowerMacs with Tiger on them when they haven't even released Tiger yet.