Amazon lists new Power Mac G5 models for pre-order

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I don't see these being available until Friday. Apple's not going to sell PowerMacs with Tiger on them when they haven't even released Tiger yet.

I'm sure that's correct. The "updated" <cough, gag, choke> PMs will be on sale at the Apple stores at 6 p.m. on Friday.

I wonder when the 3+ GHz dual core 970MPs will be available. \
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

We'll, they were going to be released when Hell froze over, which was supposed to be soon. Sadly, though, the prototypes that were sent to hell were recently returned, as they not only melted the water in hell, but even the demons were complaining about the excess heat produced. Plus, the fan noise drowned out the screams of the damned, which really bothered Lucifer.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Never?
  • Reply 44 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

We'll, they were going to be released when Hell froze over, which was supposed to be soon. Sadly, though, the prototypes that were sent to hell were recently returned, as they not only melted the water in hell, but even the demons were complaining about the excess heat produced. Plus, the fan noise drowned out the screams of the damned, which really bothered Lucifer.

Good one!
  • Reply 45 of 73
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Why don't they just pink anodize the case like the iPod mini and be done with it?

• Reply 46 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Why don't they just pink anodize the case like the iPod mini and be done with it?

Now that is a good one. I know how you feel.

2 posts to 2000/
  • Reply 47 of 73
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The technology/spec seems fine. The prices, however, are about 300-400 USD too rich.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The technology/spec seems fine. The prices, however, are about 300-400 USD too rich.

Myabe Amazon released them early for a reason - Apple was wanting to guage the AppleInsider forum response, and will now see that people are saying that they are under-specced for the price, and announce them tomorrow for $999.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Quote:

283 watts of heat for the dual core AMD. How hot is a G4 or G5?

I now see the end of the speed advance for the personal computer - when AMD gets to 2400 watts total power consumption, they will require more than a dedicated 20 amp circuit...

What?!?! What magic bean field did you get these numbers from?

Really, do those that make such bold claims about CPUs even do their homework? The fastest dual cored K8s can ONLY produce 95W, as it's the thermal limitation of socket 940. While S939 has an upper limit of ~110W, there are no faster 2C K8s for this platform, so they don't exist either. Besides, AMD rates these TDPs with a theoretical Max TDP. That is, all of the transistors were switching at once (highly unlikely--EVER!). This means that the 95W cpus only produce maybe 80W. To say that someday you'll need extra power is a bit of a stretch (well at least for AMD CPUs--Intel might be another story from the reviews I've read). Also, from what I've seen of early benchmarks, the 2C K8s do everything well, from gaming to encoding. To make wild accusations about this product is just downright ignorant. Besides, it's not like the 2.5ghz 970s are cool runners--they REQUIRE water cooling! I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I can't help but rant when I see statements so off-base. IMO, the whole point of forums is to enlighten, not to perpetuate (or worse, to start) ignorance and downright lies.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2.../index.x?pg=16

My numbers are total system consumption, not just the processor.

Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

What?!?! What magic bean field did you get these numbers from?

Really, do those that make such bold claims about CPUs even do their homework? The fastest dual cored K8s can ONLY produce 95W, as it's the thermal limitation of socket 940. While S939 has an upper limit of ~110W, there are no faster 2C K8s for this platform, so they don't exist either. Besides, AMD rates these TDPs with a theoretical Max TDP. That is, all of the transistors were switching at once (highly unlikely--EVER!). This means that the 95W cpus only produce maybe 80W. To say that someday you'll need extra power is a bit of a stretch (well at least for AMD CPUs--Intel might be another story from the reviews I've read). Also, from what I've seen of early benchmarks, the 2C K8s do everything well, from gaming to encoding. To make wild accusations about this product is just downright ignorant. Besides, it's not like the 2.5ghz 970s are cool runners--they REQUIRE water cooling! I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I can't help but rant when I see statements so off-base. IMO, the whole point of forums is to enlighten, not to perpetuate (or worse, to start) ignorance and downright lies.

• Reply 51 of 73
    jsnuff1jsnuff1 Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

what Amazon hasn't leaked is the antimatter cooling system now used on all new PowerMac G5s.

"PowerMac G5. Now classified as a Weapon Of Mass Destruction by the US Government. From $1999."

I have a feeling that would heat things up a bit more than cool...I wouldnt want to be around when people start having antimatter leaking problems.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Why not just buy a PC with the speed you want, and hold out on buying a PMG5 until Apple gets serious about performance, or you should buy an older system to complement your PC workstation. I'm having a ton of trouble myself with deciding on purchasing a PMG5 anytime soon. I might just buy an iBook. It's practically the same performance as the PMG5 anyways. \

I won't be buying a new computer for some time; I'm concerned about how Apple looks bad with these updates.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    the updates that have been "released" seem like they'd be sufficient to most of the mac population, and BTO can help those who are unimpressed. hopefully they'll include some price drops to satiate those who are still mad. i understand there are people who still want more, but we kind of have to deal with it. who knows, since it seems most companies are on the brink of dual-core, they might make an upgrade to that in just a few months. just look at it, the ibooks were last updated about 4 or 5 months ago, and now they're getting a refresh. in the scheme of apple's updates, thats pretty short. its doubtful, but possible. \ i'm personally excited, cuz if they have good price points and good upgrades, i might finally get a new comp... oh god please... let there be a low-end model that has good stuff in it! please!!
  • Reply 54 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, this is the first update so far that makes me even consider moving away from my dual 1.25 G4 i bought almost two years ago (ssshhhh... don't tell the mrs.!) but the depressing thought is if these stay at these levels for another year...

didn't see if anyone mentioned this yet, but are these guys still liquid-cooled?
  • Reply 55 of 73
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That one will most lakely stay the same - with a price drop - I say look for a tag of 1199 and 899 edu

Hahahaha...Think about this...the iMac G5 1.8ghz is 1,299, and 1,199 with the educational discount...it would be suicide and stupid for Apple to make it the same as or lower. Right now, the edu price is 1,345 i belive. I highly doubt this is going anywhere...as for the regular price...I don't think its going anywhere either
  • Reply 56 of 73
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

didn't see if anyone mentioned this yet, but are these guys still liquid-cooled?

Rumors are that they dropped the liquid cooling device, or at least really wanted to. I'm willing to be they are air cooled.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Hahahaha...Think about this...the iMac G5 1.8ghz is 1,299, and 1,199 with the educational discount...it would be suicide and stupid for Apple to make it the same as or lower. Right now, the edu price is 1,345 i belive. I highly doubt this is going anywhere...as for the regular price...I don't think its going anywhere either

Isn't the iMac G5 practically the singleprocessor PMG5 with an LCD built-in?
  • Reply 58 of 73
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i had a *ahem* sexy dream last night involving twins, so i think this means that the new Powermac dual G5s will be dual-core ?? 8)
  • Reply 59 of 73
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Wow 3Grand gets you a whopping fast 96xx ATI video card and a whole 512M of ram and good old AGP.

Cool.

I guess I will not be upsizing from my Mini yet.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

what Amazon hasn't leaked is the antimatter cooling system now used on all new PowerMac G5s.

"PowerMac G5. Now classified as a Weapon Of Mass Destruction by the US Government. From $1999."

"The Bay Area is a grave and gathering threat that we must confront with resolve. Some of my opponents caution to wait for a smoking gun, but we must not wait for the smoking gun to come in the form of a giant mushroom over a major US city......er....I meant, 'mushroom cloud', heh, heh."