Catalog resellers attempt to recapture Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Several catalog resellers including MacMall are feverishly attempting to recapture copies of Apple's new Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system after the computer maker expressed extreme displeasure at learning that the next-generation operating system began shipping to some customers a full week in advance.

According to several MacMall customers, the online and catalog reseller on Tuesday began contacting buyers and asking them to return copies of Tiger that had shipped over the weekend. Apple had not planned to begin selling copies of Tiger until this Friday, April 29th.

"I received Tiger from MacMall on Monday. I installed and had a great time playing with it," said one early adopter. "At 1PM Tuesday I get a call from a MacMall customer service rep asking me to send Tiger back. They gave me a return label by email and the whole works."

Some customers have reported receiving free copies of Apple software, such as iWork, if they went through the trouble of actually returning Tiger.

One source with ties to the catalog resellers said Apple, miffed over the premature shipments, was "invalidating" copies of the OS that shipped early. The company had previously threatened some of its resellers with fines or the loss of their reseller license if they released copies of the operating system early.

MacMall will reportedly re-ship new copies of Tiger to customers on Friday.

At issue appears to be Apple's readiness to support the new operating system via its online stores and call centers, which hadn't planned to field questions on Tiger until Friday evening.

However, a source close to Apple's retail operations told AppleInsider that the company stores have been told by management not to turn away customers seeking technical support, as it's evident that copies of Tiger are now in the hands of paying customers.

Apple's retail stores began receiving copies of Tiger on Monday in preparation for a national launch event to take place this Friday evening.

Also on Tuesday, online retailer Amazon.com inadvertently leaked the specs of Apple's forthcoming Power Mac G5 revisions, which will come pre-loaded with copies of Tiger.

"Amazon.com shouldn't have done that," an Apple online store representative commented on the Amazon leak. "The Apple Store will be up and running tomorrow morning with the new Power Macs."

Amazon has since removed the description of the three new Power Mac models, which range in speeds from dual 2.0GHz to dual 2.7GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Sweet deal.

Not only do you get Tiger early, you also get something free in return if you send it back. Nothing saying you have to delete your install.....

Then with the new boxes being sent out you have an unopened copy you can sell as unused!

Glorious day!
  • Reply 2 of 31
    vtrainvtrain Posts: 10member
    "One source with ties to the catalog resellers said Apple, miffed over the premature shipments, was 'invalidating' copies of the OS that shipped early."

What BS. There is no possible way for Apple to do this, since there are no serial numbers. There is no way for them to differentiate between different copies.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    How exactly is Apple "invalidating" these copies of OS X? We never heard of them doing that with the pirated versions (beta and non). And you can instll OS X without any kind of Internet connection needed.

That part of the story just doesn't sound true to me.

Besides, why would Apple want to, if they've already decided to give the early users tech support because (of course) it's not the buyer's fault?

(PS, what's with Apple admitting that Amazon's leaked info is true? They usually keep even the tiniest thing under wraps, no matter HOW many people actually get wind of it )
  • Reply 4 of 31
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    If these are true reports, can you say OVERREACTION?

I'm a big Apple fan, but please get OVER YOURSELF (if so).
  • Reply 5 of 31
    I got my call at Monday afternoon. Needless to say, they gave me the whole "Apple will not honor your copy of Tiger."

I have an account with them and when I told them that I was not sending my copy back they told me that they would cancel my account. My answer was "Yeah, right...you are going to cancel a $5k/month account...go ahead." You should have heard the back peddleling. They offered iLife or iWork for free and I told them that I already have them. I aked if they would throw Final Cut Pro suite for free and the guy almost hung up on me.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepkid

If these are true reports, can you say OVERREACTION?

I'm a big Apple fan, but please get OVER YOURSELF (if so).

actually, the support issue IS a valid concern, especially if they haven't brought everyone in the support area up to speed, and thought they had at least two more days of training left.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Its quite simple really,

Apple will not support the TIGER OS till its release date. Which is probably true. But at that time, it becomes the same as everyone else that will be calling.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VTrain

"One source with ties to the catalog resellers said Apple, miffed over the premature shipments, was 'invalidating' copies of the OS that shipped early."

What BS. There is no possible way for Apple to do this, since there are no serial numbers. There is no way for them to differentiate between different copies.

Not only that but they would open themselves up to lawsuits because the customers bought it LEGALY.

the claims of no support were covered in thwe artical; - Apple wanted and planned to start support Friday, not mondasy - or last Friday. It is not the refusal to support, it is the inability to support ahead of schedual.

And just for the record - If I had got my copy a week early from a catalog, and they called demanding it back, I would kindly tell them to go to hell, they messed up, it is thier problem, not mine, PERIOD>
  • Reply 9 of 31
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CarlosSalcedo

I got my call at Monday afternoon. Needless to say, they gave me the whole "Apple will not honor your copy of Tiger."

I have an account with them and when I told them that I was not sending my copy back they told me that they would cancel my account. My answer was "Yeah, right...you are going to cancel a $5k/month account...go ahead." You should have heard the back peddleling. They offered iLife or iWork for free and I told them that I already have them. I aked if they would throw Final Cut Pro suite for free and the guy almost hung up on me.

Brilliant, good for you! You should maybe set your heights a bit lower - just Final Cut or Motion!.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    After reading Mac news for 4 years I think this has got to be the stupidest thing that's happened - sending it back. So you're going to waste time, energy and money getting these copies back just to mail them out again in a few days? While it used to be fun, I'm starting to get sick of Apple's Launch events. Steve has everyone in a panic with knots in their stomachs. What's fun about that?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    MacMall f***** somthing up? And water's wet.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

While it used to be fun, I'm starting to get sick of Apple's Launch events. Steve has everyone in a panic with knots in their stomachs. What's fun about that?

Exactly! It's time for Steve to retire again. I hear Carly Fio...whatever from HP needs a job. This time don't turn the company over to the soda jerk.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

After reading Mac news for 4 years I think this has got to be the stupidest thing that's happened - sending it back. So you're going to waste time, energy and money getting these copies back just to mail them out again in a few days? While it used to be fun, I'm starting to get sick of Apple's Launch events. Steve has everyone in a panic with knots in their stomachs. What's fun about that?

I agree, Steve let it go. You can do it!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

As a mac n00b, what really pisses me off is that this fucking thing is EVERYWHERE - look at slashdot, look at eweek, hell look at the mother fucking Wall STreet journal for fuck sake, but you know where it is NOT? It is NOT on MY hands, eventhough I paid for it 2 stinking weeks ago, if I wouldh have ordered from MM, I would be fat and happy too - If I wanted to break the law and grab the GM till I get my box, I could have it, but NOOOO I am mister joe good morals consumer, and beleve me, coming up with money is not easy as a college student...

Maybe I should go back to my High School habbit of Bit Torrent...why the fuck not - then I could get what I FUCKING PAID FOR!!!!!

Were my friends right when they said "Apple is nothing but gimics?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Wow, you guys are all holding on too tight.

It is an Operating System. Let me repeat, an Operating System.

This is not the cure for cancer we are waiting for here. Go outside and get in touch with reality again....

• Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

Wow, you guys are all holding on too tight.

It is an Operating System. Let me repeat, an Operating System.

This is not the cure for cancer we are waiting for here. Go outside and get in touch with reality again....

Look, when I wanted something in the bad ole days of bit torrent, I got it in a few hrs...but now that I have gone lagit I have to wait...seems like i am being punished because I am a paying customer...

even if it is just an OS, lets look at the facts from my point of view

pay 70$ wait 3+ weeks and get a pressed DVD, or for the cost of a few hrs and a dvd blank have it ~1.5 weeks ago now...hummmm
  • Reply 17 of 31
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Look, when I wanted something in the bad ole days of bit torrent, I got it in a few hrs...but now that I have gone lagit I have to wait...seems like i am being punished because I am a paying customer...

well would you rather wait until the end of june like we originally thought they would? you're not waiting on anything. you PRE-ordered an operating system and it hasn't shipped yet.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

even if it is just an OS, lets look at the facts from my point of view

pay 70$ wait 3+ weeks and get a pressed DVD, or for the cost of a few hrs and a dvd blank have it ~1.5 weeks ago now...hummmm

You're right. Grab your gun, go to the Apple store and demand your copy. If that doesn't work start capping people. I am sure the judge will understand, especially if he has an iPod.

• Reply 19 of 31
    Good God what is with all of the foul language , geez and to think I let my nephew on this site because he likes Apple as well.......

Language that you objected to but quoted anyway removed - JL

Text Edited By Moderator
  • Reply 20 of 31
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cisco_Kid

Good God what is with all of the foul language , geez and to think I let my nephew on this site because he likes Apple as well.......

Yeah can we control it guys. Apple announced the OS will be shipped 29th April. A few resellers mucked up big time and shipped it a week early - not Apple's fault - but it's bad because it causes annoyance that some get it before others. Illegal downloads are always available before a product comes out, Final Cut Suite is available May - I'm sure bittorrent will have it first.

Paying customers are not being punished, other customers - and there were only a few that got a good surprise. Chill out - it hasn't been delayed so as far as you're concerned it will arrive Friday as it said when you paid your $70(?).