Your Ride (Bicycles) Pics

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I thought it would be cool to see what bicycles we ride here at AI.

Feel free to:

List the make / model of your bike.

Post a pic of your actual bike or one like it.

Post a pic / link / description of your desired bike if it is different than the one you own.

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    Mine is a Trek 820, but not the current model - mine was bought some years ago, and doesn't have the suspension on the front forks. And it's orange . I don't have a pic of my actual bike though, so the one on the Trek web site will have to do for now.

I bought it quite cheap, as it was an end of line version, so all the running gear was being updated on the new model. Works for me though .
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Wow I'm glad you started this thread..

Well I have two bikes.

Both are hand built By Dekerf

I have:

Dekerf Soft tail (titanium chainstays, no longer built)

here it is in action, had the fastest lap that day and our team placed 2nd

Fishcreek park.. fun rooty downhill

Parts:

Full XTR (5 years old now but runs really well)

Cane Creek Ti wheels (8 years old, still very straight)

Raceface Deus Crank

Dekerf Solitare its jet black..

I'll post pics of MY bikes tomorrow

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The problem that I have, that I suspect is not uncommon, is that bikes occupy a no-man's land in the transportation department. That is, it's half a mile to town, 6 miles to work, and 60 miles to the airport. Usually I just walk to town, and I'm not a big fan of being on a bike among massive traffic.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I used to be a demon mountain biker , totally fearless and crazy, this was in the days before suspension!

I havn't cycled for about 8 years now, and was thinking of getting back into it, but I'm like WTF has happened to the bikes?

I remember the early days, when everyone cut their straight handle bars narrow, had 6" flat stems, tight rear chainstays and wanted a 74 degree seat tube. And all I dreamed of was getting a 54 tooth outer ring.

Now we have bikes, with no stems, curved high rise handlebars, 8" rear wheel travel, no saddles, no gears, and the most perverse thing i've ever seen - A cannondale 'Lefty' fork.

Infact, it's pretty hard these days to find a bike like I used to ride, that isn't in the bargain basement section.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Now we have bikes, with no stems, curved high rise handlebars, 8" rear wheel travel, no saddles, no gears, and the most perverse thing i've ever seen - A cannondale 'Lefty' fork.

I'm with you on that.. I started racing in '90, I was on a tech badlands with super short handle bars, no suspesion, and the fattest heaviest tires you've ever seen!

then I upgreaded to a rocky blizzard (black and white powderpaint) still no suspension.. and well it went from there..
  • Reply 6 of 81
    I think when I buy a new bike it might well be one of these.

not least because it looks NORMAL, and pretty agressive
  • Reply 7 of 81
    like I mean WTF is this?

or this

• Reply 8 of 81
    you see those a lot now.. I don't know how folks do it..

for you.. try Kona

Strong, Reliable and built by folks who care.

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

you see those a lot now.. I don't know how folks do it..

for you.. try Kona

Strong, Reliable and built by folks who care.

flick.

you know, my last 'real' bike was a '94 Kona Explosiv , it was an awesome bike, but because of the sloping tube, I could never get the saddle quite high enough in relation to the bars.

My favourite bike was a '92 Diamond Back Apex, which would probably make most people cringe knowing what diamond back make today.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    shudder.

flick.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I have a Slingshot that is about 10 years old. $1,300 frame with all the expensive components. Thing is it is in disrepair. I did not want to have to spend a fortune on buying new wheels / tires, fork, brakes, adjustments to gears and such which would run into the hundreds.

So I just bought an inexpensive bike to get me by. I paid about the price of a good front suspension fork for the entire bike. $299

It is built by K2

This bike is a high value bicycle for the money built for Oshman's / Sports Authority stores in North America. It is a workaround for K2 to produce a product line which large sporting goods stores can retail which does not compete with the regular product line K2 supplies to smaller sales volume / higher profit margin "bike shops".

For the price I paid for the bike I am more than pleased. Full suspension, disk brakes and quite frankly the quality is great for this price point.

I am not a serious pro by any means just looking for some nice times under the sun on the bike!

It does ride very nicely.

Fellows
  • Reply 12 of 81
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Here's my car.

Cannondale R600 Sport with headshok.

Eats road like spaghetti.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    OMFG, I never thought I'd see anything more perverse than a cannondale lefty fork, but that Slingshot takes the biscuit. How does that work?

That K2, looks like a hell of a lot of bike for the money, not my style, but like you said, its all about days under the sun now. Thats what I should be doing, but I still have dreams of the former glory of racing down hills at 50 mph. I managed to get 62 Mph down a hill in the Brecon Beacons in Wales on a ride once (on tarmac of course), it was a 1 in 4, ahh, so much fun

Now Hassan's Cannondale is a perfect example of what front suspension should like like when done properly.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    I like Cannondales, but I never saw the point of anything than a fixed frame bike for bombing around the city. My last bike was an indestructible kerb-hopping hybrid, and although this is more delicate the front shock lets you get away with a lot.

Still mourning my last bike. Magura hydraulic brakes, the perfect saddle, Synchros stem, tuned and adjusted to perfection. Stolen by a man who I now hope is in palliative care in a hospital somewhere.

I miss that bike. Still looking out for it a year later.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Anyone remember the original Nishiki Alien? That was the bike I wanted most.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:

Anyone remember the original Nishiki Alien? That was the bike I wanted most.

I tihnk I do.. what year was that?

flick.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    7 year old Cannondale F500 here. Haven't ridden it in a while.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    Quote:

OMFG, I never thought I'd see anything more perverse than a cannondale lefty fork, but that Slingshot takes the biscuit. How does that work?

Yeah, WTF??? It looks like it shouldn't work!
  • Reply 19 of 81
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The slingshot idea is to keep the entire lower member in tension, and then to replace it with a cable. It sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure how well it works in practice.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    fieldyfieldy Posts: 31member
    Here's mine.

Marin Point Reyes 2004