iTunes 4.8 adds video support, Yorkdale store photos, more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Hmm, things are certainly getting a little messy on the Apple apps front.

I am quite in favour of adding a feature to iTunes for auto-syncing your contacts when you sync your music, but that is all we need. Leave iSync in place to still do this and everything else.

The movie thing is a bit strange, maybe there are going to sell music videos from iTMS, guess we'll see tomorrow. Or maybe Apple will make an iPod movie after all. Interesting. This update raises a lot of questions, which hopefully will make more sense in a few months time.

I suspected music videos it's all a bit messy - but then we don;t want two apps to sync the iPod with - but movies don't sync YET! They could make a separate app called iVideo and then make it work with iTunes (like iPhoto)
  • Reply 42 of 124
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Darn it. See. they added video clips to iPhoto too.. so which is it Apple? Where do you want me to Organize my files? I like Cellulo.. but want an Apple product.

The advantage to Cellulo and iPhoto are they have thumbnails (and a hint at what is within.. but iTunes??!??!

I think the right place for that organization would be the file system.

Of course you need specific tools to edit things inside the files, and probably specific browser tools as well... but ultimately it would be best if all that filetype-specific organization happened under the umbrella of the filesystem, thus not only directly findable with Spotlight, but also so you could mix and match organization tools/interfaces in just the combination you like. You could organize photos and videos with iPhoto, then ditch it and switch to a different program for just the videos and another for the photos, etc. and because all these would just be views into the file system, there would be no "library" data to migrate. You could even switch many times per hour - use one app to browse photos, and another to edit their metadata.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I think it makes more sense if Apple sells music videos. That way, you keep your music videos in iTunes, and still use everything else the way you did yesterday.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I am quite in favour of adding a feature to iTunes for auto-syncing your contacts when you sync your music, but that is all we need. Leave iSync in place to still do this and everything else.

On a Mac, why would you want the setting in iTunes when iSync can deal with it automatically in the background? Everything related to syncing should be in the logical place - iSync - and that's it, IMO.

On Windows it's totally understandable the setting is in iTunes so they don't have to put in a separate program just to get Outlook entries onto iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

On a Mac, why would you want the setting in iTunes when iSync can deal with it automatically in the background? Everything related to syncing should be in the logical place - iSync - and that's it, IMO.

On Windows it's totally understandable the setting is in iTunes so they don't have to put in a separate program just to get Outlook entries onto iPod.

i thought the contact thing only worked on macs anyway
  • Reply 46 of 124
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    You know, after adding all of my many small quicktime movies from the internet, as well as music videos, as well as actual DVD's that I've ripped. I've discovered iTunes to be extremely helpful in making sense of my mess. Before I was organizing all the files in the finder. It's much easier to browse them from iTunes now. I can rate them and all that now. The only thing that's missing is a contextual menu to allow me to open them with Quicktime. (no live resizing, on-screen controls, etc. in iTunes)
  • Reply 47 of 124
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    I like the idea of iTunes being the all-in-one manager of audio/visual content. That said however, it needs to add "Music Library" and "Video Library" to split them up. Much like the way Mail splits a .Mac account and a POP account for example. Smart playlists can include both video and audio files, but you can browse music and video separately. Of course clicking on the Video Library and searching for "Star Wars" will bring up any Star Wars trailers, movies instead of clicking Library at the moment and having the sound track and whatever come up.

iTunes would also be better with a new name to show it can do video as well. iPod doesn't necessarily mean music, although people now know it for that. i don't think iTunes will be renamed at all though.

If they don't add a way to separate libraries, then all my movies will be in my music folder... I don't want that even if they are music videos. I would hope, if Apple is going down the all-in-one media player (which looks almost certain now), that these overhauls to integrate video better, yet seperate the libraries come with iTunes 5. Maybe a different layout for the video library, like the iPhoto library, but with screenshots of the video. And those shots need to be of the movie half way through, rather than the first frame which is generally black.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    I think Daniel has hit the nail on the head. An integrated movie/music application with two libraries and smart playlists etc. We will also be able to buy music videos, eventually they will add movies when we have decent broadband connections.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    The only way you are going to get a static frame of a video to help in recognition more than 10% of the time is to pick it by hand.

A good automated approach would pick a few points in the video file by random and successively show a three second clip from each.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    edibiaseedibiase Posts: 19member
    It seems like video is at least something that's going to be considered an attribute of songs in the iTunes database.

Browsing through the strings in the iTunes executable, I found "Has Video" alongside other attributes such as "Bit Rate," "Rating," etc.

Even better: Alongside the string "Purchased Music": "Purchased Videos"!
  • Reply 51 of 124
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I just played a QuickTime video using QuickTime Player (not iTunes, mind you) and sure enough, it played fullscreen. It even has an option in the menu bar of playing the movie fullscreen. This was under XP, not sure if it works under OS X.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I just played a QuickTime video using QuickTime Player (not iTunes, mind you) and sure enough, it played fullscreen. It even has an option in the menu bar of playing the movie fullscreen. This was under XP, not sure if it works under OS X.

You must have QTPro
  • Reply 53 of 124
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Darn it. See. they added video clips to iPhoto too.. so which is it Apple? Where do you want me to Organize my files?

That's a really good question.

Especially with spotlight now.

The thing is it makes sense for iPhoto to have movies since still cameras take them. So now, for still photos, what exactly is the difference between an iPhoto-slideshow and an iMovie full of slides? Or if I make a home movie with 20 movie clips why not just organise them as an iPhoto show and add music there?

I guess at some point, iTunes becomes one way of organising our files (music). iPhoto becomes another way of organising it. But the underlying files are all stored the same way. Look at how Spotlight separates our data into "kinds" of information - in a sense, iPhoto is a smart view of my data, restricted to photos only.

At the moment the water is a bit murky - iTunes and iPhoto make copies of your files and setup their own directory structure, and they both allow movies. iMovie and iPhoto both integrate with iDVD where iTunes burns DVDs directly.

At some point "iLife" may need to be renamed "iMedia", and then there's simply different ways at getting to music, photos, and movie clips - organising them on your computer or burning them to free up space on your system (and play them elsewhere).

Greg
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Hopefully Apple have a clear vision of where they heading - the iSync scenario is annoying - unless phones will sync from iTunes as well? I wish you could still sync from the menu bar, grr
  • Reply 55 of 124
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    If someone doesn't have video clips to try out iTunes video stuff, go to

http://www.thirstymerc.com/music_videos.html

"My completeness" is low bandwidth - 10MB.

"Wasting Time" is about 35MB (from memory).

Anyone know some newer h264 encoded music video (standard definition res) that I could try out? I was impressed with the cNBC quality.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    iPrOn. PrOn to go?.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Why is this video support necessary when spotlight will find it and when it plays better in QuickTime? Also only mov and mp4 files will play.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

You must have QTPro

No, I don't. I would have known if I did. If you have a Windows PC, try it. But the video must be imported to iTunes first.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

No, I don't. I would have known if I did. If you have a Windows PC, try it. But the video must be imported to iTunes first.

Ok, I'll try tomorrow - it doesn't work on a mac - if the file is imported just for the record!
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Interesting. It works on my XP-based PC here. Wtf?