Tiger slower than Panther on 12" iBook G4?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    voloxvolox Posts: 11member
    Try running DiskWarrior 3.0.3. After my upgrade, the directory was in bad nick and things weren't running too well. DW helped a lot, although I still get beachballs with Admin authorisation dialogs.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    adamclarkadamclark Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamclark

It certainly seems slower on my 12" iBook G4 with 768MB RAM. I'm seeing the spinning beachball a LOT more than I used to with Panther...

Is this something I will just have to put up with? Are other 12" iBook users finding the same thing? And (please!) is there any chance that a future update might help with this?

Well... Time for a little update. The 10.4.1 update did nothing to improve the speed of my iBook, and for a time I was seriously considering going back to Panther.

Then I decided to try a little experiment. Along with the spinning beachball, I noticed that my HD was crunching away pretty much all the time, even when I wasn't doing anything. Not being a technical expert, I could only think of two things that might be busy causing this: 1) Spotlight, and 2) File Vault.

Working on this hunch, I removed File Vault protection from my home folder last night, and... I've hardly seen Mr Beachball at all! Everything seems quicker!

I'm not sure how this works, but presumably File Vault works in the background a lot more under Tiger than it did under Panther?

Whilst I'd rather have my home folder protected by File Vault, it looks like this may be a sacrifice I have to make to get Tiger to work well on my iBook...

Adam
  • Reply 23 of 31
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I thought FileVault was still too unstable to use?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK I'm on 10.4.1 now on my 867mhz PowerBook G4 with 640 RAM. It is slightly faster. Safari is much faster. Finder is faster. Switches between stuff with less lag, and in general is Snappier.? Sweet! Spotlight and Dashboard are delicious.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

try turning on QE. QE requirement went up with Tiger. It now requires 512MB SDRAM and 64MB VRAM to activate QE by default. Any machine, portable or desktop below this spec will turn off QE by default.

You can try hacking the the plist manually or download "extremePCI" hackware to modify the plist to accept 32MB VRAM for QE activation.

This should help with sluggishness.

i'm not sure if this is correct. under "Quartz Extreme" in my System Profiler it says "supported," and i have an ibook 1ghz 32mb video 768 sdram
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i'm not sure if this is correct. under "Quartz Extreme" in my System Profiler it says "supported," and i have an ibook 1ghz 32mb video 768 sdram

Same on my iBook 12" G4 1.2GHz. Quartz Extreme is supported, but Core Image isn't supported.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I thought FileVault was still too unstable to use?

First I've heard of it. But judging by my experience, you may be right. Do you have any further info on its instability?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Same on my iBook 12" G4 1.2GHz. Quartz Extreme is supported, but Core Image isn't supported.

But that's not Quartz 2D Extreme
  • Reply 29 of 31
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

First I've heard of it. But judging by my experience, you may be right. Do you have any further info on its instability?

I'm using FileVault under 10.4.1 on a 667MHz PowerBook... no problems here. I don't know if I was reading it on these forums, or another forum, but it could be bad font files that Spotlight didn't like... I don't know. Maybe OS X doesn't like it if you upgrade with FileVault turned on.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did a clean install.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I'm using FileVault under 10.4.1 on a 667MHz PowerBook... no problems here. I don't know if I was reading it on these forums, or another forum, but it could be bad font files that Spotlight didn't like... I don't know. Maybe OS X doesn't like it if you upgrade with FileVault turned on.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did a clean install.

I did a clean install too, so it wasn't an upgrade that caused the trouble...
  • Reply 31 of 31
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

I did a clean install too, so it wasn't an upgrade that caused the trouble...

When you were experiencing the problem you should used top or Activity Monitor to see what is eating the CPU cycles. I know that on 10.3 Finder would eat up all my CPU if I opened a folder with ~3000 images in it and had it set to thumbnail them all for icons. Even closing the window didn't stop it's cpu cycle hunger. o.O