Tiger update to patch Dashboard vulnerability

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A forthcoming update to Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system will reportedly plug a hole in the company's new Dashboard application that allows potentially malicious widgets to auto-install on a user's system.

The fix is believed to be one of over three dozen expected in Apple's Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update. According to rumors, the update, code-named "Atlanta," could see a release as early as the end of the week.

After installing the update, sources say users of the Tiger operating system will be prompted before a widget is downloaded to their hard drive. Currently, Tiger possess a vulnerability where potentially dangerous or annoying widgets can be downloaded onto a hard drive and installed without the user's knowledge or consent.

It has also been rumored that Mac OS X 10.4.1 will correct minor issues with at least four of the default widgets included with the retail version of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger."

Based on reports already present on several internet Web sites, it's believed that Apple on Wednesday evening provided thousands of its developers and corporate partners with a third pre-release build of the Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update.

Said to be build 8B15, this latest seed comes less than 2 days after the company was reported to have seeded build 8B13, a tell-tale sign that development is winding down. Like the previous build, online reports indicated that build 8B15 lists just a single known issue pertaining to synching of Tiger's Address Book over Apple's .Mac internet services.

Rumor has it that Mac OS X 10.4.1 will also include fixes to Tiger's iCal, Font Book, Mail, and Preview applications. Meanwhile, previously published tidbits suggest the update will also pack improvements to DHCP over wireless networks, file sharing over AFP and SMB/CIFS network file services, and disk image creation and burning via Disk Utility.

As previously noted, Mac OS X 10.4.1 is also rumored to include an update to Tiger's Core Graphics subsystem, which should provide updated graphics card drivers to Mac users with an ATI or Nvidia graphics card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Which four would that be, mmmmm!

iTunes - barely works!

Translation - not real time

Phone Book - only in US

Weather - only in certain towns

(or FlightTracker?)

or am I missing something?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    It is nice to see apple dealing quickly with the dashboard issue.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    japprjappr Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

iTunes - barely works!

Phone Book - only in US

(or FlightTracker?)

Well, you're quite missing the fact that you need a weatherstation in a town before the town can provide the weather information!!

Actually, the only thing that I would like to work is my restart/log out/shut down abbilities... some how Tiger won't respond to my commands, and I have to touch the back of my iMac G5 continuesly after installing some crappy application that needs a reboot..

Besides, there should be an option for turning off the annoying message in Safari that i'm 'downloading a program'. hell I know, otherwise I wouldn't have downloaded it!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

It is nice to see apple dealing quickly with the dashboard issue.

sort of - but IMHO, as an apple n00b, I say too little too late - this is unacceptabe QC, it should have never left the shop - have the dashboard/safari people ever heard of activex and IE in the windows world...it aint prety...and this bug is damn near the same thing!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

iTunes - barely works!

I have had no problems with itunes in tiger eccept for one crash...and 2.8 seems even faster in tiger than 4.7... what troubles are you haveing with it?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    spylaw4spylaw4 Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Well, you're quite missing the fact that you need a weatherstation in a town before the town can provide the weather information!!

Ther's a lot of them about - and outside the US!

And if the Konfabulator weather widget can do it...... \
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Ther's a lot of them about - and outside the US!

And if the Konfabulator weather widget can do it...... \

The server they use covers my town - so that says it all.

The server they use is AccuWeather.com - so check to see if you're town is covered.

iTunes - I have 9000 songs and hundereds of playlists and I don;t think the widget can cope - it just doesn't respond for ages - basically it's unusable - I've had no problems with other iTunes widgets - album art - (the actual iTunes widget works on my sisters computer).
  • Reply 8 of 46
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I have weather here in the UK using the regular widget from apple.

j.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

I have weather here in the UK using the regular widget from apple.

j.

Yeah but Hull is supported - Canterbury is not on the Apple widget but is online.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Weather works for me here in this little rinky-dink town of Graysville, Alabama. I just entered my zip code and it found it.

Now, the one that bothers me is the clock. I know that the city is representative of the time zone, but I do not particularly care to see "Chicago" at the bottom of my clock.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    rtamesisrtamesis Posts: 88member
    I just want Apple to fix iChat AV on Tiger so that it is actually usable.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

iTunes - barely works!

Phone Book - only in US

(or FlightTracker?)

Unit Converter runs at 100% CPU utilisation on many machines and uploads/downloads quite a lot. Many people wouldn't notice it though.

Weather would be nice - it does do Sydney here, but it shows that it's night during day, and day during night. And the temperature is up to 7'c off (13'f) so it'd be nice to connect to australia's bureau of meteorology instead! That's not a bug though, that's a limitation of the websites the widgets are connecting to.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

Unit Converter runs at 100% CPU utilisation on many machines and uploads/downloads quite a lot. Many people wouldn't notice it though.

Weather would be nice - it does do Sydney here, but it shows that it's night during day, and day during night. And the temperature is up to 7'c off (13'f) so it'd be nice to connect to australia's bureau of meteorology instead! That's not a bug though, that's a limitation of the websites the widgets are connecting to.

MY problem is that the website they get the info from supports the cities that weather wont connect to.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I think you have the wrong Sidney chosen.

Flip the widget, enter Sidney, press Return.

Three Sydneys turn up - choose the Australian one
  • Reply 15 of 46
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

You do realise how difficult real time translation is to do accurately given many languages actually give implicit meanings by endings or word order used later in a sentence?

Quote:

Really I don't know why the site, accuweather.com, doesn't take the weather for Australia from the BoM.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I think you have the wrong Sidney chosen.

Flip the widget, enter Sidney, press Return.

Three Sydneys turn up - choose the Australian one

Nice... got Sydney working right now. The first time I entered it was a morning (US afternoon) so the sun was right and temperature was similar... so I didn't even consider it. Thank you very much.

I guess my biggest wish would be for the Apple Australia website to offer localised versions of a few widgets.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You do realise how difficult real time translation is to do accurately given many languages actually give implicit meanings by endings or word order used later in a sentence?

Yeah but once I've finished typing I have to wait a long time. Not just a few seconds. This is very different from the Jobs keynote.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    thininethinine Posts: 71member
    That's because it's connecting to the internet to do the translation. You must have a slow connection.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thinine

That's because it's connecting to the internet to do the translation. You must have a slow connection.

What dict. servers do they use? dictionary.com?

(And if so, can i assign a different one?)
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thinine

I have a 1mbps connection - I don't think it's that which is slowing me down. I think it delays getting a response.