Run modified OS X on XBOX 360

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
How long before you think the xbox 360 gets hacked to run linux, or Mac OS X....

It's actually pretty possible.... Can't hardly way to see that mod posted to hackaday :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Give it 60 days post launch and the 360 will be thoroughly hacked.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    an unsupported os X on microsoft's platform

I love it!

not only does it mean more chip sales on the power platform and hense more development/ lower unit costs, it also means apple gets a sale from the x
  • Reply 3 of 45
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Someone may try to put Linux on it - but don't you expect Microsoft has thought of that? This box is going to be DRM'd out the wazoo.

There's nothing stopping Microsoft from doing anything they want on the Xbox platform - so you will see them at their most arrogant, brazen, brutal techo-thuggery. And what gets thru, squads of lawyers will be deployed to take down.

The Xbox 360 will be the most closed box in history. Count on it.

As for Mac OS X, it is a violation of the current license agreement to run it on third-party hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    That's why I said unsupported.

Use at your own risk.

But still a sale for Apple!!

HaXoRs will break the box and get a OS X/ linux boot on it.

Count on it.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

That's why I said unsupported.

Use at your own risk.

But still a sale for Apple!!

HaXoRs will break the box and get a OS X/ linux boot on it.

Count on it.

The people most likely to hack the 360 will most likely have access the the GM of Tiger off the torrents. Not seeing many sales there.

As we speak look at the numbers out there:

Mac os X tiger server 2.59GB size 102 seeds 252 peers

Mac OS X Tiger GM XiSO 2.53GB size 55 seeds 297 peers

(btw, I bought my copy, preordered at $129 from apple.com)

• Reply 6 of 45
    perhaps you are right.

Or at least then the 10.4 will give the x boxers a mac experience.

Or at least they will be producing more chips for us.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    boukmanboukman Posts: 93member
    The only "hackers" who have any good experience with this sort of thing are the Xpostfacto guys, and I don't think they're into pissing Apple off. However, I still wonder how much work it would be to actually be able to run OS X on Xbox. We know that the base layer is already open source in good part, and the upper layers are probably abstracted enough from the metal to work properly without having to touch them, so maybe the hardest part would be to have quartz working on the Xbox? It would certainly be a great challenge worthy of great hackers.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Right because the people whom perform such hacks usually have "license agreement" as there #1 concern.

The chipset even includes "alt-vec"

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Someone may try to put Linux on it - but don't you expect Microsoft has thought of that? This box is going to be DRM'd out the wazoo.

There's nothing stopping Microsoft from doing anything they want on the Xbox platform - so you will see them at their most arrogant, brazen, brutal techo-thuggery. And what gets thru, squads of lawyers will be deployed to take down.

The Xbox 360 will be the most closed box in history. Count on it.

As for Mac OS X, it is a violation of the current license agreement to run it on third-party hardware.

• Reply 9 of 45
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

We know that the base layer is already open source in good part, and the upper layers are probably abstracted enough from the metal to work properly without having to touch them

Except for the tiny problem of drivers. Specifications for XBox 360's hardware won't be open source.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    do people still care about linux?

what a joke
  • Reply 11 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

How long before you think the xbox 360 gets hacked to run linux, or Mac OS X....

It's actually pretty possible.... Can't hardly way to see that mod posted to hackaday :-)

I'm curious about this article:

http://news.com.com/Xbox+360+demos+r...l?tag=nefd.top

Since MS is running some developemental version of the xbox 360 in emulation on a G5, does this mean that games developed for xbox 360 might be easily ported or converted to run on Macs? Not as a hack, but by the game developers.

Sort of the opposite of what you are suggesting I guess.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    drivers and all it could be done, and it wouldn't be awefully hard. The G5 units "xbox dev kits" were just powermac g5s, but used customized nt kernel...

Anyway i'm sure somebody will figure out how to get os x running on x box...
  • Reply 13 of 45
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Since MS is running some developemental version of the xbox 360 in emulation on a G5, does this mean that games developed for xbox 360 might be easily ported or converted to run on Macs? Not as a hack, but by the game developers.

No, never, not gonna happen, fugeddaboutit.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

I'm curious about this article:

http://news.com.com/Xbox+360+demos+r...l?tag=nefd.top

Sort of the opposite of what you are suggesting I guess.

Its not the hardware that makes porting to Macs time intensive, its the software. Most PC games are built on DirectX and that's not something that's available on OS X (being a MS tech and all). Many porting houses have DirectX -> OpenGL porting libs which helps the port from being 2 years to only 6 montsh of work.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

drivers and all it could be done, and it wouldn't be awefully hard. The G5 units "xbox dev kits" were just powermac g5s, but used customized nt kernel...

Anyway i'm sure somebody will figure out how to get os x running on x box...

If someone manages to get Linux to run on it, you can run OSX on the Xbox 360 by using MOL.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    it'll probably take a year or two before Linux gets stable on the 360, then, MAYBE someone will get OS X on it...

but, 2-3-4 years down the line, do you think the 360's hardware will look or be as good as, say, whatever Mac Mini will be available by 2007-2008?

I think mainstream consumers will rather buy a MacMini if the want the X experience, and a handful of users may run OS X on it (if it all possible).

Look at the XBOX today. 3-4 years ago it was hot shit. Today its a semi obsolete hardware spec.

so it shall be in 3-4 years with 360.

The only way this could work is if Linux gets ported almost immediately and then attempts of OS X porting succeed within a year.

Anyway, thats what I think.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

do people still care about linux?

what a joke

That's actually a fairly ignorant remark. Linux may not be the most elegant desktop but rest assured that a *lot* of people care very much about it for a variety of reasons. I choose to use the Mac for my computing needs but in it's absence (and trust me, OSX is quite absent where I work thanks to corporate screwheads) Linux fits the bill just fine for getting my work done.

If your comment was made in jest then feel free to ignore my response.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    like Bancho said... I think consumers could care less about Linux.

However, if one day Linux were to disappear, I think my engineers would commit collective suicide
  • Reply 19 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It will be REALLY hard to get OS X running on something that's not a mac. OS X is a collection of many programs, most of which aren't open source.

I imagine Darwin could run on the xBox, and I'm sure Linux could be made to run on it.

To answer someone's question, people do still care about Linux. The consumer-oriented buzz has faded, but Linux is better used in the commerical/industrial markets. In those markets, it is, indeed, still a big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It will be REALLY hard to get OS X running on something that's not a mac. OS X is a collection of many programs, most of which aren't open source.

I imagine Darwin could run on the xBox, and I'm sure Linux could be made to run on it.

If the 360's CPU is binary compatible with the other members of the PowerPC family then off course it could run OS X. Whether elements of OS X are closed source is irrelevant, you wouldn't need to recompile or reprogram them. And if Darwin ran on it, then OS X would run on it, since OS X is Darwin with Quartz and whatnot on top. What would need to be worked out is what type of firmware the 360 will have, how you would load BootX or an equivalent, and kernel extensions to support the hardware, i.e. memory controller, ATI chipset, etc.