Run modified OS X on XBOX 360

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think we're forgetting that you still need a ROM chip to run OSX.

I don't think you'll ever see OSX running on the XBOX 360 but you "may" see Linux if some hacker can do it.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    No ROM chip is needed to run OS X! I hear people repeat this all the time and it just not true. New world Mac's have Open Firmware, and that's all. Things like firewire target mode, etc. are just extensions to Open Firmware. The only thing preventing non Apple PowerPC systems like Peagasos from booting OS X is CHRP or POP machines do not have an xcoff-loader package, necessary to load Apple's implementation of the xcoff format.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Cool.

I just noticed that a ROM chip was still listed in the schematics for the Powermac architecture PDFs.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    linux will almost certainly run regardless of how hard microsoft tried to make it. But anyone who thinks that a firmware hack that will allow osx to boot could exist in the wild for long than 1.4 second before apple legal smashed it hasn't been paying attention the last 15 years.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Its true the Open Firmware device tree does have a ROM node. Its children are boot-rom and MacOS. The boot-rom node is the representation of the flash chip where the Open Firmware is stored as well as hardware specific drivers and code such as POST. The MacOS node is a place holder for the OS 9 ROM-in-RAM file that is loaded and attached to the device tree when you boot OS 9.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

And if Darwin ran on it, then OS X would run on it, since OS X is Darwin with Quartz and whatnot on top.

That's not true. There is one thing we know for certain: xBox 360 will not have an Apple motherboard, and will likely not have the same motherboard components. Unless you can write support for those pieces of hardware into the low-level parts of OS X, you're out of luck. Darwin is a microkernel, and it doesn't necessarily handle the hardware specific device functions.

In other words, unless the xBox PPC is wired up in the same ways that macs are, you're going to need to modify the very low level parts of the OS.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    As I said, you would need kernel extensions to support the unique hardware on the 360's motherboard.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    boukmanboukman Posts: 93member
    Quote:

As I said, you would need kernel extensions to support the unique hardware on the 360's motherboard.

That's right. One of the biggest challenge might be the video chip driver, since it's both proprietary and has a funky memory architecture.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ultimately, running OS X on xBox would be just about as difficult as running it on an x86 PC. Apple could make it happen, but it's not likely that anyone else can (or will).
  • Reply 30 of 45
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Someone may try to put Linux on it - but don't you expect Microsoft has thought of that? This box is going to be DRM'd out the wazoo.

That won't even slow them down. It'll be 'Linuxed' within a few days of release.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Someone may try to put Linux on it - but don't you expect Microsoft has thought of that? This box is going to be DRM'd out the wazoo.

There's nothing stopping Microsoft from doing anything they want on the Xbox platform - so you will see them at their most arrogant, brazen, brutal techo-thuggery. And what gets thru, squads of lawyers will be deployed to take down.

The Xbox 360 will be the most closed box in history. Count on it.

Huh? For the Xbox 1, German Microsoft officials actually encouraged people to do with it whatever they wish, and explicitly included Linux.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

If the 360's CPU is binary compatible with the other members of the PowerPC family then off course it could run OS X.

Big "if". VMX128 != VMX.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Also, keep in mind that the XBox has only 256MB of system RAM. It'll run OS X, but it could be rather anemic...that's provided you get it working in the first place.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

Also, keep in mind that the XBox has only 256MB of system RAM. It'll run OS X, but it could be rather anemic...that's provided you get it working in the first place.

CNET says it will have 512MB.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Look at the XBOX today. 3-4 years ago it was hot shit. Today its a semi obsolete hardware spec.

so it shall be in 3-4 years with 360.

Hmmm.. well despite its ageing spec it is still the best console in terms of graphics/sound today.. of course it is due for an update and that will change with the Xbox 360, but you are underestimating its current use by many thousands as the home media centre m$ is trying to bludgeon you with in the new 360/XPMCE ..

As for hacking the 360, I reckon at least 6 months.. It took that long for them to find the hash key/code hidden in the northbridge chipset on the old xbox. Don't you think M$ might have learned just a little something in the last 4 years?

I thought I was gonna run Linux on my modded Xbox too, but you know what? All I do is use it for XBMC (media player & streaming iTunes libraries) & play the odd game. Who wants OSX on that platform.. it'll never happen. Now, where are those fricken Dual Core G5's Steve???
  • Reply 36 of 45
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Huh? For the Xbox 1, German Microsoft officials actually encouraged people to do with it whatever they wish, and explicitly included Linux.

Bah - that was a challenge. Three years later, the chief project backer of Linux on Xbox admits that the project is a failure: http://www.linspire.com/lindows_mich...ves.php?id=168

And the 360 will be even more locked-down than the old Xbox. You guys can forget it - nobody will get Linux working on an unmodified 360, and nobody will ever get MacOS X running on it.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Big "if". VMX128 != VMX.

VMX128 = AltiVec (apple's name for it)
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

VMX128 = AltiVec (apple's name for it)

VMX = AltiVec

VMX128 != Apple's available AltiVec

IIRC
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    So who developed Altivec? Was it Motorola or Motorla and Apple?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Motorola developed it; it's their trademark. Apple calls it the Velocity Engine. IBM -- who licensed it for their own CPUs -- calls it VMX.

Note that Motorola has since further developed the technology, which IBM doesn't yet make use of to my knowledge.