Xbox 360-more of MS trying to be Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The desing is white like the iPod. It uses PowerPC. It is also slated to have its own music player built in that can pop out. MS is trying to ride Apples success much like they did with Win95.

Even the xbox360.com web site has a very osx like dock on the bottom right hand side.

The 360 even has PowerMac syle drill holes.

at this web site (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6124293/p-2.html)

they note that Ms had collaborated with two design firms to get th look. What it sounds like is that the firms told them to basically morph a Powermac and a G5 and add an iPod Shuffle box green light. Voila! Xbox 360.

They note that future hot selling colors are going ot be white, silver and glass.

Apple been using these colors for a few years now. And I thought the glass look went out with the old Studio Display and PowerMac G4!?!

MS already behind again?

In any case, I just hate to see blatant copying, but I do hope this stirs Apple to compete directly with Microsoft on some large scale instead of being content to be where it's at.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I don't really see Microsoft copying at all. They wanted to have someone design a custom processor for them and I'm guessing IBM was about the only company to raise their hand so PPC it was.

Home electronics tends to move in colour trends. Go down to your local store and all the DVDs and TVs will likely be silver in colour. Right now there's just a push for white and there are toasters and kettles in a glass finish. Apple might have picked up on that first but such is the nature of the market that companies produce façades that people like. Add to that the front plate is interchangeable, something Apple could certainly learn from I think.

The holes are for air flow. It has already been stated the 360 uses water cooling. It needs air and a lot of it to get rid of all the heat.

I doubt it will feature anything more than a removable HD. They may produce a media player that can dock but that remains to be seen and good on them if they do. it isn't like you can't connect an iPod to the 360 if you want.

I really think Microsoft has looked at what a lot of people wanted and contracted what they needed. That said I have no doubt they are going to use it to sell their own music and other services but so does Apple. As long as they do it tastefully I don't really mind.

I actually think this will be one of the best things to come out of Microsoft in a long time as it will create some good competition in the console market. That said I still hope the PS3 crushes it and Nintendo makes a resurgence.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    White is the new black.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

The 360 even has PowerMac syle drill holes.

i personally 100% agree with this. laughed my azz off when i first saw that... the drill holes are also a motif on the xbox360-related website graphix

*sigh*
  • Reply 4 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    So anything that is white, has drill holes, and a green light is stolen from Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

So anything that is white, has drill holes, and a green light is stolen from Apple?

nope, just anything that is blatantly an iRipOff
  • Reply 6 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Close.

Anything that exists is stolen from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

The light isn't just green either.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

The light isn't just green either.

Oh no? I didn't know that. What is it? Aluminum? Beige? Bondi?

grove, even GameCube is stolen from Apple. They used to have this thing called the Cube, and there are some Games for the Mac, so...
  • Reply 9 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

grove, even GameCube is stolen from Apple. They used to have this thing called the Cube, and there are some Games for the Mac, so...

DAMN YOU NINTENDO!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member

"In Soviet Union, Xbox eat you!"
  • Reply 11 of 29
    WTF ?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:

At E3, the MS guy even said the 360 is very "iPod-Like". That says it all for me.

Doesn't matter anymore.

The PS3 looks better (although a little "bubbly") and the Revolution looks awesome. Sleek and clean. The 360 kind of looks like a joke now.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

At E3, the MS guy even said the 360 is very "iPod-Like". That says it all for me.

Doesn't matter anymore.

The PS3 looks better (although a little "bubbly") and the Revolution looks awesome. Sleek and clean. The 360 kind of looks like a joke now.

Of the three new consoles - I think that the 360 is the nicest looking. I hate the PS3 look.

But, looks aside, I will be buying the PS3 for sure, maybe the 360 too (depending on the list of backwards compatible games).
  • Reply 14 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Of the three new consoles - I think that the 360 is the nicest looking. I hate the PS3 look.

But, looks aside, I will be buying the PS3 for sure, maybe the 360 too (depending on the list of backwards compatible games).

That's the ticket, isn't it. The xBox 360 WON'T be generating competition in the console market. The xBox 1 did that, and Sony spent the last 5 years building a juggernaut. I expect the PS3 to cannibalize a lot of projected xBox 360 sales simply on the premise that it's the baddest boy on the block. That's how the xBox 1 really got started: it had the strongest hardware of the consoles released around 2000.

It will be interesting to see how the footage works. We've gotten to the point where the hardware's ability to push pixels has gotten beyond the animator's ability to design. That is, the traditional, polygon-based 3D with bump and texture maps will not strain the hardware, and it even looks flat and crappy. The xBox 360 screenshots I saw in Time magazine were not impressive. It won't be until designers start using spline-meshs instead of polygons, and when they start modeling in detail, that this upcoming generation of consoles will come into their own.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but look what the 360 demos are running on.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000440043836/
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by masterchief

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but look what the 360 demos are running on.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000440043836/

"The 360 demos in the press section were being run off you-know-whats."

ROFLMAO it seems like everyone is so ashamed to use the words Apple PowerMac G5 in all the gamer-focused website coverage of e3 and the new consoles
  • Reply 17 of 29
    MS is cleary Jealous and also just looking for ways to make more money... all it comes down too in the end; is money... but i'd be willing to bet that if their prototype/product looks anywhere near similiar to the ipods, apple will have a say about it,.... that i wouldnt be surprised or doubt...
  • Reply 18 of 29
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    Apple makes the slickest hardware and a superior OS then M$ and what company would not look to the best in the industry and try to emulate it.

M$ tries to steal Apple's superior designs and Apple tries to steal M$'s huge market share.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

MS admitted that they borrowed from Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

M$ tries to steal Apple's superior designs and Apple tries to steal M$'s huge market share.

Which MS would not have unless it stole Apples designs.