Apple switch to Intel feasible, but highly unlikely

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Windows is on probably about 95% of the x86 market.

Dell is I think around 60% of the x86 market.

OSX and Macintosh would start at 0% of the x86 market.

How does Apple not get eaten alive?

I don't think Apple will start using Intel CPUs, but if they did, I would expect Apple to permit OS X only to run on their own proprietary x86 motherboards. Nothing would change with regards to compatibility between Mac hardware and PC hardware - OS X would still only run on a Mac, and nobody would be able to build their own cheap x86 box to run OS X. Apple isn't stupid, they know where their bread is buttered.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    seriously OT, but...

Quote:

i wonder why the Emperor after episode 3, before episode 4, essentially stopped using clone army? it all evolved into stormtroopers

i assumed that the stormtroopers are still the clones, just in white armor. that makes leia's line in the original flick make more sense: "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

ie: if not clones, wouldn't stormtroopers come in all manner of heights?
  • Reply 63 of 80
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

If IBM doesn't get it's ass in gear and deliver by end of this year,

I want the Kamino-ans to make the next Apple CPUs

They whipped up a massive clone army (and just wondering... where did all the ships and hardware come from ???) in like what 10+ years?

btw

i wonder why the Emperor after episode 3, before episode 4, essentially stopped using clone army? it all evolved into stormtroopers, disposable tie fighters, massive fleet of star destroyers.... which is cool, but why they dropped the clones? maybe the rebels took out clone production facilities...? \

At the end of episode 4 he becomes the dictator of the Republic, before that he was only a senator and created the war in secret with the help of the STIFs to create the need for war within the Republic. This way he could use the state of emergency to become dictator.

So as dictator / Emperor he uses the army of the Republic to defend the Republic from rebel planets.

Of course this is the emergency he must create in order to get people to go along with his dictatorship, Hitler actually had a much stronger mandate.

But anyway he builds essentially a Nazi state by incorporating the military into the society of the Republic. He probably arranges to have most of the STIFs killed off as they are potentially his strongest enemies, although this would be Darth's job.

So they don't need clones, in-fact clones would probably be outlawed just to insure that no one does to the Emperor what he did to the Republic.

I know they are SITH and not STIF I am just fascinated with the word play on the title "The Revenge of the Stiff", it is soo appropriate.

The real question is why does it take about 25 years finish the Death Star. That is one hell of a research project.

I suppose in a military technology state you could conceivably attempt to build a war project that is beyond your capabilities, use a long hierarchy of management, fund it very well, pay killer wages and then kill off the managers as they get to the top as they fail to succeed.

The result being that it takes a very long time to build it, maintaining the state of emergency, creates lots of opportunities for young people.

The end result is the Emperor stays in power without much trouble or work.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

seriously OT, but...

i assumed that the stormtroopers are still the clones, just in white armor. that makes leia's line in the original flick make more sense: "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

ie: if not clones, wouldn't stormtroopers come in all manner of heights?

How come they don't have all kinds footage of Leia doing the WILD THANG with every hot jock she can find, after all it is WAR you know ???

Well, and Leia IS LIKE THAT isn't she ??????
  • Reply 65 of 80
    I play this EVERY DAY ALL DAY LONG !!!

http://www.theapplecollection.com/C.../ThinkDiff.html

And ALL those Switch commercials, I married Feisi.

ACTUALLY MICROSOFT WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE IF APPLE EVER SHIPPED OS X FOR INLET.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This long post isn't much better than your last one.

Until Apple gets out of the rut of believing that they "aren't good with the (top) 500 (companies)" as Jobs just stated in the D conference, they won't get too far. This has nothing to do with Intel (or AMD). It does have to do with competitiveness and multiple sourcing.

And stop using so many capitals, it's annoying to read.

I ToTALLY agrEE, Apple has an inferiority complex that often ventures into narcissism, self hatred and hatred of their costumer.

Multiple sourcing is what they sorrily need, they will succeed in the consumer market because this is soo easy to do in that market.

They may also do it one day in the computer market and for now Intel/letnI is the road to doing this.

Although, quantum computing or plastic processors and RAM is enough of a change that the INLET may not participate in these markets.

I tend to find out most things before other people partly because of my existence InThEmAtRiX !1!

Intel my not, invested in this small company that has created a software layer for OSs that virtualizes the hardware.

It creates a layer that fools the OS into believing that the processor and hardware it is working with is ideal, it idealizes the hard.

The purpose of this would be to allow network computing with thin clients, software solutions to weak hardware, or factoring out the processor from the OS which allows multiple OS to run simultaneously and independent massively parallel processing.

I THINK, my INVENTION, the best use of this technology is to place a second software layer beneath the hardware virtualization layer that controls what the OS gets and does not get.

This setup has interesting possibilities. Would be a dream environment for tester as you could quickly test all machine possibilities on one machine.

With very intelligent machines that are automating highly critical processes, for example running hospital robots, it becomes possible to disable certain functions without bringing down the entire system.

Thus if the robots misbehave then the controller layer is used to shut down the offending functions. The robots keep on working but end their eccentric behavior.

This should be done using ANOTHER autonomous computer to monitor and limit the computer on top. This is essentially creating a conscious for the computer, especially if the computer on top is capable enough to know that it is being limited, is disabled in a certain area. This is not very advanced current computers know these things, to a certain extent.

Then if the computer was smart enough to reconfigure its hardware and software and to continually optimize its work then you would have a very smart and capable computer.

Artificially intelligent computers built this way would be very capable and useful since if they started doing something wrong they could easily be disciplined, most of the time this would be handled automatically before anything wrong is actually done.

This could be missing link to advance AI.

CONSIDER THAT: the human brain has essentially two brains, a left and a right that always see things differently thus the conversation that philosophers claim is required for consciousness is ACTUALLY BUILT INTO EACH ONE OF US !!!

There is also the conscious and the subconscious that dictates all our actions, and creates a conversation.

Build this into computers and you have an AI system that can be controlled and advanced rapidly without the fear of loosing control.

I already sent this suggestion to Apple quite a while ago, AND THEY ALWAYS BUILD MY SUGGESTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming back at Ya from the MAmaMAmaMAmaMAtRIXrixRIXrixRIXrixRIXrix ---
  • Reply 66 of 80
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Apple will never use x86 architecture. Apple likes to have superchips for CPUs. Pentium will not be it.

The only way an Intel manufactured CPU would be the heart of a Mac is if Apple contracts Intel out as a fab manufacturer but built to IBMs PPC specs. As a fabrication factory Intel is unmatched. engineering is another story as IBM blows them away and even AMD seems to be ahead. But in terms of sheer production, Intel in a monster and Apple could be wise to utilize Intel as a manufacturer (But they would have to be VERY carfule about the legal aspects, so as to avoid the whole microsoft rip off scenario all over again).
  • Reply 67 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

I play this EVERY DAY ALL DAY LONG !!!

http://www.theapplecollection.com/C.../ThinkDiff.html

And ALL those Switch commercials, I married Feisi.

ACTUALLY MICROSOFT WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE IF APPLE EVER SHIPPED OS X FOR INLET.

I ToTALLY agrEE, Apple has an inferiority complex that often ventures into narcissism, self hatred and hatred of their costumer.

Multiple sourcing is what they sorrily need, they will succeed in the consumer market because this is soo easy to do in that market.

They may also do it one day in the computer market and for now Intel/letnI is the road to doing this.

Although, quantum computing or plastic processors and RAM is enough of a change that the INLET may not participate in these markets.

I tend to find out most things before other people partly because of my existence InThEmAtRiX !1!

Intel my not, invested in this small company that has created a software layer for OSs that virtualizes the hardware.

It creates a layer that fools the OS into believing that the processor and hardware it is working with is ideal, it idealizes the hard.

The purpose of this would be to allow network computing with thin clients, software solutions to weak hardware, or factoring out the processor from the OS which allows multiple OS to run simultaneously and independent massively parallel processing.

I THINK, my INVENTION, the best use of this technology is to place a second software layer beneath the hardware virtualization layer that controls what the OS gets and does not get.

This setup has interesting possibilities. Would be a dream environment for tester as you could quickly test all machine possibilities on one machine.

With very intelligent machines that are automating highly critical processes, for example running hospital robots, it becomes possible to disable certain functions without bringing down the entire system.

Thus if the robots misbehave then the controller layer is used to shut down the offending functions. The robots keep on working but end their eccentric behavior.

This should be done using ANOTHER autonomous computer to monitor and limit the computer on top. This is essentially creating a conscious for the computer, especially if the computer on top is capable enough to know that it is being limited, is disabled in a certain area. This is not very advanced current computers know these things, to a certain extent.

Then if the computer was smart enough to reconfigure its hardware and software and to continually optimize its work then you would have a very smart and capable computer.

Artificially intelligent computers built this way would be very capable and useful since if they started doing something wrong they could easily be disciplined, most of the time this would be handled automatically before anything wrong is actually done.

This could be missing link to advance AI.

CONSIDER THAT: the human brain has essentially two brains, a left and a right that always see things differently thus the conversation that philosophers claim is required for consciousness is ACTUALLY BUILT INTO EACH ONE OF US !!!

There is also the conscious and the subconscious that dictates all our actions, and creates a conversation.

Build this into computers and you have an AI system that can be controlled and advanced rapidly without the fear of loosing control.

I already sent this suggestion to Apple quite a while ago, AND THEY ALWAYS BUILD MY SUGGESTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming back at Ya from the MAmaMAmaMAmaMAtRIXrixRIXrixRIXrixRIXrix ---

Well,you have some interesting ideas... but the way you express them??
  • Reply 68 of 80
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Somewhat off topic:

Excellent quote in today's newspaper about why the new AMD dual-core chips were exiting:

"For example, one processor can run video without interruption from antivirus software, which can be run continuously on the other core."

Viruses have gotten so bad on Wintel that we need dual-core just to keep up with them, and nobody flinches at that sort of remark. Outstanding.

Edit: Fixed quote for accuracy
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You all may not remember, but a few years ago Intel was touting that it's new mobile cpu had wi/fi built-in.

NONE, I repeat, NONE, of Intels customers wanted the feature turned on.

Intel dropped it.

This is very strange, I remember all those commercials, and Apple thinking they had been RIPPED OFF -- I guess they feel better now !!! I did not know it had been dropped.

What kind of customers are these !?!?!?!?

Is weWIN/don'tTEL still dominated by people that buy computers so other people know they can do it, but otherwise would burn the thing if they won the lottery !!!

iii GOD HELP US !!!

Move into the Matrix its much nicer here, any people like that get reprogrammed or erased !!!

What does this mean for the Intel/Nokia WiMax alience Matrix that is about to take control of this Time Plain ???

Will most computer owners ignore it because somehow they don't like being connected, will In/Noki connect them for free and spy on them to make money ?!?!?!?!?

Life is much better inside the matrix.

One day I will be immensely wealthy and contract Apple to put my brain in a beaker to greatly extend my life and for the adventure of being the first test tube brain !!!

You see when the brain has been removed from the body and placed in a nutrient bath it enlarges 3 times, gains perfect health, and lives a very long time. The increase in size that comes from greater water retention which also eliminates inflammation in the cells and greatly increases the surface area upon which to write information thus intelligence increases. Hooking a computer to this brain in a beaker is child's play for future technologists.

WE become the Cymeks who dedicate our existence to slavination of fleshed beings. There is no greater service or higher existence then that of total servitude -- slavery.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

This is very strange, I remember all those commercials, and Apple thinking they had been RIPPED OFF -- I guess they feel better now !!! I did not know it had been dropped.

What kind of customers are these !?!?!?!?

Is weWIN/don'tTEL still dominated by people that buy computers so other people know they can do it, but otherwise would burn the thing if they won the lottery !!!

iii GOD HELP US !!!

Move into the Matrix its much nicer here, any people like that get reprogrammed or erased !!!

What does this mean for the Intel/Nokia WiMax alience Matrix that is about to take control of this Time Plain ???

Will most computer owners ignore it because somehow they don't like being connected, will In/Noki connect them for free and spy on them to make money ?!?!?!?!?

Life is much better inside the matrix.

One day I will be immensely wealthy and contract Apple to put my brain in a beaker to greatly extend my life and for the adventure of being the first test tube brain !!!

You see when the brain has been removed from the body and placed in a nutrient bath it enlarges 3 times, gains perfect health, and lives a very long time. The increase in size that comes from greater water retention which also eliminates inflammation in the cells and greatly increases the surface area upon which to write information thus intelligence increases. Hooking a computer to this brain in a beaker is child's play for future technologists.

WE become the Cymeks who dedicate our existence to slavination of fleshed beings. There is no greater service or higher existence then that of total servitude -- slavery.

They are customers who want to control what their machines do and don't do. When they sell something they want to add features in the way they need. Intel caught them unawares.There were and are other wi/fi chips with more features than the one Intel built in. They also felt that Intel was going to reduce their machines to commodities, leaving them little to do.

Here is a newer example:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821016,00.asp

Good luck with the brain thing.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

At the end of episode 4 he becomes the dictator of the Republic, before that he was only a senator and created the war in secret with the help of the STIFs to create the need for war within the Republic. This way he could use the state of emergency to become dictator.

So as dictator / Emperor he uses the army of the Republic to defend the Republic from rebel planets.

Of course this is the emergency he must create in order to get people to go along with his dictatorship, Hitler actually had a much stronger mandate.

But anyway he builds essentially a Nazi state by incorporating the military into the society of the Republic. He probably arranges to have most of the STIFs killed off as they are potentially his strongest enemies, although this would be Darth's job.

So they don't need clones, in-fact clones would probably be outlawed just to insure that no one does to the Emperor what he did to the Republic.

I know they are SITH and not STIF I am just fascinated with the word play on the title "The Revenge of the Stiff", it is soo appropriate.

The real question is why does it take about 25 years finish the Death Star. That is one hell of a research project.

I suppose in a military technology state you could conceivably attempt to build a war project that is beyond your capabilities, use a long hierarchy of management, fund it very well, pay killer wages and then kill off the managers as they get to the top as they fail to succeed.

The result being that it takes a very long time to build it, maintaining the state of emergency, creates lots of opportunities for young people.

The end result is the Emperor stays in power without much trouble or work.

Good point, but all Palpatine really needed to do was stage a terrorist attack on Coruscant, then wage war against a string of defensless planets while boasting that "freedom is on the march!" I bet that would work better than what he does in ROTS.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Good point, but all Palpatine really needed to do was stage a terrorist attack on Coruscant, then wage war against a string of defensless planets while boasting that "freedom is on the march!" I bet that would work better than what he does in ROTS.

She could also have spoken against the dark leader in the senate, but history is full of kings and queens that save the day with talk, and those that loose everything because they don't speak up !!!

I think the thing that really strengthened the Emperor's hand was being able to kill all the other kings, Darth did that at the end of the story.

And of course he would have blamed that on the rebels, that's why he had to be dictator and the senate went along with it.

It could have made all other attempts to save the day not doable.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Guys, if we get too far off topic, it might get closed down. I can't say that for sure, but it's happened here at least twice recently.

So, at least put something relevant into your posts.\
  • Reply 74 of 80
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I know I should encourage people to keep the star wars talk where it belongs, I guess I'm a poor mod...

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

btw

i wonder why the Emperor after episode 3, before episode 4, essentially stopped using clone army? it all evolved into stormtroopers

The Stormtroopers ARE clones.

Edited to add something relevant:

Apple isn't switching to Intel chips for it's computers. No sir, they are not indeed.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I know I should encourage people to keep the star wars talk where it belongs, I guess I'm a poor mod...

The Stormtroopers ARE clones.

Edited to add something relevant:

Apple isn't switching to Intel chips for it's computers. No sir, they are not indeed.

I have always thought of the clones as robots because that is the way they were in the Clone Wars episode, but I guess the General in this latest episode indicates that they are Cyborgs.

Some grouse little fleshed cloned, genetically engineered, creature with a robotic body.

You would still use conventional IC chips to run the basic functions of the robotic body, just because its cheap and reliable.

So which chips would do that IBM/Mac or Intel ???

I think Intel would do it just because of the huge mind share behind the INLET, but of course for my own robotic body I would want IBMac.

not LONG AGO IN A GALAXY not that FAR AWAY...

As it was THEN, it is NOW: Macpple must join the clone wars by using the common chip.

Therefur, Apple would be better if they paired the BEST software design with BEST processor functionality. Many of the things I talked about above envision an IntBMacpple where one part of Apple creates designer tools to build with all software GRASSHOPPER and hardware design that is paired to maximize performance, functionality, and value with various levels of MACchine OBEWON !!!

This means using ALL processors and clone technology at once, NOT switching, switching NOT.

I want a computer that has the Paris Hilton chip in it !!!!!!!
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Intel Preps Mac Mini Look-Alike...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...tml?tw=rss.TEK

Now, if Apple had shipped this MACchine available as Intel or PPC buyers choice then how would Intel get headlines.

NOT would they, Mac Yoda !!!
  • Reply 77 of 80
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    oh man my brain is fried and twisted now by the whole on-topic / off-topic posts all mashed up on this thread
  • Reply 79 of 80
    Quote:

That is funny isn't Intanium obsolete !?!?!?

By the way when I say Intel I simply mean compatible, AMD may indead be the only processor that Apple should be interested in using.

MIXING SEMAPHORES (semaphores can be thought of as really generic advisory locking. Semaphores -- Avoiding a Train Wreck ... and various ways to use semaphores to synchronize activities in a computer.):

Microsoft snubs IBM's Power offer...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05/31/power/index.php

"IBM?s iSeries chief scientist Dr Frank Soltis said a port to the Power architecture is a requirement for it to run natively on the iSeries and, as such, is entirely ?up to Microsoft.?

Soltis said the new Xbox 360 is an example of a Windows operating system running on the Power architecture, so it is possible for Windows servers to run on the iSeries.

To ensure Windows can compete in the most scalable enterprise environments, Microsoft will have to port it to Power because there?s nowhere else for it to go, Soltis said, adding that Power is at least three years ahead of any other architecture in the industry.

iSeries users must rely on x86-based co-processors or adaptors to consolidate Windows workloads, but the need for these would be eliminated with a native Power port of the operating system.

During his keynote address at the iSeries strategic planning conference in Perth last week, Soltis spoke of Microsoft?s desire to keep up with Sony in the game console market as the reason why it swapped Intel for Power in the latest Xbox.

?Why would you change the hardware when you have to make all these changes to the software?? Soltis asked. ?The answer is actually one word. The word is Sony.?

Soltis reminisced about the explosive growth in processing power by comparing the 1998 version of the biggest computer the world - the size of the auditorium he was speaking in - to today?s Cell processor developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba.

?Today that exact same power is in a single Cell chip - it?s unbelievable,? he said. ?that?s the technology that is going to be used by Sony so Microsoft can see this as its competition and has to be able to match it. It said ?who am I going bet on - IBM or Intel?? Microsoft bet on IBM.?"

THE BOTTOM LINE IS MS IS NOW SOLIDLY ON BOTH PLATFORMS AND THAT GIVES THEM AN ADVENTAGE.

"?Our Windows roadmap has long-targeted support for x86, x64, and Itanium,? Rodriguez said when asked why Microsoft would choose to ignore a market opportunity. ?As always we continue to evaluate new opportunities based on the needs of our customers, but have no plans to port to Power at this time.?"

And this is the connundrum of future gaming on the Mac, clients on PPC, servers on Intel. Perhaps this mix is intentional, an attempt to shut Apple out the market for gaming servers by mixing things up.

I will always maintain that Apple has always held the poison pill for MS. If Apple shipped a lean Mac like OS for Intel and gave it away MSs world would be turned upside down.

WHY ???

Because Windows users are cheap, they always want the quick, cheap, stupid, solution and bootlegging a free Mac like OS that has few viruses would just the ticket.

Mac users would not care about this because they want a quality, full featured MACchine so the Mac market would not be slightly affected by this move -- accept that it would cause many more people to switch to Macs as kaos would take over the world of Winwods.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Here it IS a photo of the BEAST, Mac mintel...

http://www.wired.com/news/images/man...iniclone1.html

Always remember, "A terrible mind is a thing to waste!" Mac_yoda 2005

They say it would cost $900 to duplicate on Intel the Mac mini just because Intel and MS over charge. What a stupid tech demonstration, "Hey look at what we can do and why you should buy a Mac mini for half the price !"

OK SO YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME INTEL SUCKS, we don't need no stinking Intel processors.

But software ports.

Expensive Windows XP makes Apple's poison pill even MORE ATTRACTIVE AND EFFECTIVE !!!