Report: 2GB and 4GB iPod shuffles in the works

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to introduce a 2GB iPod shuffle in June and a 4GB version two months later, according to an overseas report.

Samsung Electronics and Toshiba are aggressively planning to ramp up their output of 8Gbit NAND flash chips in preparation for the new Apple-branded players, says the report by DigiTimes.

It should be noted that DigiTimes has been consistently inaccurate in their predictions of future and unannounced Apple products.

Still, the overseas publication which closely monitors Apple's component suppliers and hardware manufacturers in the far east, may be on to something.

AppleInsider sources believe Apple is destine to use at least one of these chips for a future digital music player that will debut in the next month or so.

Rumors of a new iPod using 2GB flash memory have been steady over the past two months. Whether these new players will debut as an iPod shuffle -- in its current form and design -- is a totally different subject.

The most reliable rumors suggest the new breed of flash-based iPods, due this spring, will contain a display screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    I hope it sells better than the 1GB model sells now.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I said it before and I'll say it again...the whole beauty behind iPod is the user interface and it's ability to access hundreds/thousands of songs quickly and easily.

The iPod Shuffle does not do that. It does serve a purpose for those who simply just want to hear music randomly...but for all intensive purposes...it's not much different than any other MP3 flash player.

I'd love to see a 2gb iPod (perhaps flatter but wider than a shuffle) with click wheel and display. Price it at the current 1 GB Shuffle price and you've got a winner.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I just don't see it happening. It's already takes forever to fill up the 512mb. It would take like an hour to fill up a 4gb.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    wormwoodwormwood Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

but for all intensive purposes

Must... resist... urge... to... nitpick.... AAAAAAHHH!

It's intents and purposes, not intensive!

**Pant** **Wheeze** I'm just too weak...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    people are lso liking the display screen that the minis have and such.... so they might sell a lil better b/c they have more space, but it might not encourage people w/out that display screen, but who knows.. we'll see what happens when it come out
  • Reply 6 of 47
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I think it's probably a positive that the 1GB model does not sell as well; from what I've heard (probably from reading AI articles), Apple Store employees upsell those looking at a 1GB shuffle to a 4GB mini, which has better margins (I think). I would also think that Apple might stand to benefit more from sales of the mini through accessories (of which there seem to be more for the mini).

In any case, I wonder what would happen to the mini, if 2GB and 4GB models came out. As it stands now, I think Apple's lineup is just about "perfect," but Apple will have to be vigilant in guarding against cannibalization of higher-margin products.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wormwood

Must... resist... urge... to... nitpick.... AAAAAAHHH!

It's intents and purposes, not intensive!

**Pant** **Wheeze** I'm just too weak...

Maybe it's a Canadian thing!
  • Reply 8 of 47
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

In any case, I wonder what would happen to the mini, if 2GB and 4GB models came out. As it stands now, I think Apple's lineup is just about "perfect," but Apple will have to be vigilant in guarding against cannibalization of higher-margin products.

What's the point of higher-capacity shuffles? Without a screen, they become harder to deal with. With a screen, they become bulkier. Either way, they run right into the price point of the mini, which is an all-around better device (screen, support for remote, HFS+ Hard disk support, support for many third-party add-ons, AIFF and AppleLossless support).

The only worthwhile thinking of 2 and 4GB mem cards would be to use them in the mini instead of the hard-disk, cuts the weight, meybe reduce the size a little (or more space for larger battery!). Now that would be something.

But a lousy 2GB screenless MP3 player. Pointless and a bad deal comparitively.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    It will be interesting to see what Apple does ... they'll have to walk a fine line as they don't want to take away sales of the 4GB mini. A 2GB sounds interesting but one has to speculate on the price.

Possible prices that I anticipate:

512MB $89

1GB $129

2GB $169

4GB $199

6GB $249

Price a 2GB a bit closer in price to the 4 GB so people are most likely to spend more ... my thinking is as follows ... if you price the 2GB closer to the 4GB's price of $199 shoppers will think it's a better to deal to spend either $169 or $199 for the additional capacity than the $129 for the 1GB. This will bring in more revenue for the bottom line and it's likely that the higer priced models have a higher margain. Then phase out the 1 Gb over time.

Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 10 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/05/04.4.shtml

The shuffle has 58% market share in flash players, and (from what I have seen) the 1GB model sells better than the 512MB model.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

What's the point of higher-capacity shuffles? Without a screen, they become harder to deal with. With a screen, they become bulkier. Either way, they run right into the price point of the mini, which is an all-around better device (screen, support for remote, HFS+ Hard disk support, support for many third-party add-ons, AIFF and AppleLossless support).

The only worthwhile thinking of 2 and 4GB mem cards would be to use them in the mini instead of the hard-disk, cuts the weight, meybe reduce the size a little (or more space for larger battery!). Now that would be something.

But a lousy 2GB screenless MP3 player. Pointless and a bad deal comparitively.

A flash disk rather than a hard drive could improve the battery life in the mini - the actual size must be very close to the golden ratio because the mini is beautiful.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    As time progresses and prices change, perhaps the cost of flash memory will be cheaper than the cost of the micro hard drives. At that point, perhaps the iPod mini will no longer use a HD inside and could switch to flash memory.

With 4+ GB you easily want a screen, so I find it hard to believe that anyone would make a 4 GB iPod shuffle -- at least with the shuffle's current design. Also, if the iPod mini is the current best seller, all the more reason to focus on improving it. Switching to flash memory could make it lighter and greatly extend battery life.

Personally... I want my cake and to eat it too. I have way more music than I can fit on my iPod mini (rev a) and as we start storing and playing back photos and videos, I can only need more storage space! I guess I'd want 40 GB, a color screen, and the mini form factor. The normal size iPod is good, but I don't like that the high-end model is thicker.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Personally... I want my cake and to eat it too. I have way more music than I can fit on my iPod mini (rev a) and as we start storing and playing back photos and videos, I can only need more storage space! I guess I'd want 40 GB, a color screen, and the mini form factor. The normal size iPod is good, but I don't like that the high-end model is thicker.

Oo, I want one of those - iPod mini sized and a 40Gb drive. Oh well, not any time soon.

Anyway, my opinion for a sweet lineup (maybe not this year) is more somewhere along these lines;

1Gb iPod shuffle - same price as current 512Mb price

or

1Gb and 2Gb shuffle, larger than just now, with screen

4Gb / 6GB / 8Gb iPod mini flash - Smaller than current mini, with screen, scroll-wheel

Basically, eventually, the mini will move to flash, be smaller thicker and lighter than currently, but still have a scroll wheel. I don't see Apple having a shuffle, a mini, and something in between, so either the shuffle will grow and get a screen, or we will keep the shuffle as it is, and get a smaller mini.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Yeah, I'd love a mini-mini using a 4Gb flash chip. Keep the Shuffles in their current sizes, drop the HD mini and replace 'em with a smaller, lighter flash iPod mini.

I knew it was a good idea to hold off buying a new iPod until WWDC.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Yeah, I'd love a mini-mini using a 4Gb flash chip. Keep the Shuffles in their current sizes, drop the HD mini and replace 'em with a smaller, lighter flash iPod mini.

I knew it was a good idea to hold off buying a new iPod until WWDC.

Don't expect new iPods at WWDC. A developer's conference would be the worst place to introduce them. We're getting new PowerMacs at WWDC, but the iPods will be a 'special' event.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Don't expect new iPods at WWDC. A developer's conference would be the worst place to introduce them. We're getting new PowerMacs at WWDC, but the iPods will be a 'special' event.

Don't think we'll see flash minis this year at all, maybe a 5th gen later in the summer though.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I said it before and I'll say it again...the whole beauty behind iPod is the user interface and it's ability to access hundreds/thousands of songs quickly and easily.

The iPod Shuffle does not do that. It does serve a purpose for those who simply just want to hear music randomly...but for all intensive purposes...it's not much different than any other MP3 flash player.

I'd love to see a 2gb iPod (perhaps flatter but wider than a shuffle) with click wheel and display. Price it at the current 1 GB Shuffle price and you've got a winner.

But the point of the iPod shuffle is that it is small. If you added a click wheel and display it would be almost the same as the mini, and would almost completely destroy the purpose of it. It would be too bulky for running and other activities that it is perfect for now. I also don't see any reason that giving you more storage space is bad. The more music you have, the more you can listen to and the more variety you get. You don't need a screen if you always use shuffle, which is the point of the iPod shuffle. You could still listen to your music exactly the same, you would just have more variety. It would also be a much bigger flash drive for transferring files.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The mini is really the PowerBook of the range - it just needs the colour screen. It's thinner, lighter and sexier - also brushed metal rather than plastic and metal (iBook's anyone?) Although I think Apple need to change the background colour on the colour screen to something other than white - make use of that colour.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

They just updated the PowerMacs recently, though. I doubt we'll see anything like that at WWDC. Speed-bumped iBooks are likely (though not Keynote worthy), and I'd expect some new/altered product to show up. But new PMs I doubt.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eekles77

But the point of the iPod shuffle is that it is small. If you added a click wheel and display it would be almost the same as the mini, and would almost completely destroy the purpose of it. It would be too bulky for running and other activities that it is perfect for now. I also don't see any reason that giving you more storage space is bad. The more music you have, the more you can listen to and the more variety you get. You don't need a screen if you always use shuffle, which is the point of the iPod shuffle. You could still listen to your music exactly the same, you would just have more variety. It would also be a much bigger flash drive for transferring files.

Which is why I said the Shuffle serves that purpose. If you don't care to access a particular song.

But one can still make it small and have a display. Sony and countless others have done so...and some even have a FM tuner.

Of course I'd expect Apple would do a much better job at it. And it's certainly not as if Apple can't do it...it's just that they won't do it.