iPod photo update to deliver new transitions, Tetris

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new version of system software for Apple Computer's iPod photo line of digital music players is rumored to add a slew of new image transitions in addition to a popular arcade game.

Rumor has it that the new version, which is expected to be called "iPod photo Software 1.2," will be made available for download sometime this month.

Packaged with the release will be a series of new transition effects for inclusion in photo slideshows. Some of these transitions are rumored to include "mosaic," "cube," and "fade" effects. Users will reportedly be able to select and set transitions from a new transition menu.

Anonymous sources also say the software update will pack a color version of the popular arcade game tetris. Users will be able to use the iPod photo's click-wheel to move the tetris blocks horizontally while the iPod click-button performs block rotation.

It's unclear precisely when Apple will release the software update, but its development is said to have already wound down.

Open images in new window for larger view. iPod photo running Tetris Images: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Apple released the current version of iPod photo software -- iPod photo Software 1.1 -- in late-March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    firsttubefirsttube Posts: 14member
    That cube effect is pretty cool - not much of a groundbreaking update tho. \
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Humm, kinda lame. How about transfer your stickies to your ipod
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sauklandsaukland Posts: 15member
    I wonder how you drop a piece in Tetris. Scroll and click... but that'll take forever.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I would really like this! Tetris is the game I've wanted for those sit-around-waiting times all along! And more photo transitions would be neat too--since I do use the TV slideshow thing.

I don't ask for a "revolutionary" update for a product that already did its job well at the start. This is more than I'd have ever expected my Photo to do when I got it.

Re the Tetris drop function: it may not have one. It won't be "purist" Tetris anyway, since the screen is fewer rows high. (They COULD use the wheel in a new way, never before done, where a touch on the wheel reacts like an Intellivision disc. The ABSOLUTE position is read, not your rotary motion, and then it could sense that you touch the lower part, the sides, whatever. From the iPod Linux project, I believe this kind of sensing is possible in the hardware. But it would be confusingly similar to the way you already click the wheel--and you WOULD click the wheel when you got too frantic in your gaming.)

But I'm skeptical... I say 50/50 chance this is a fake. For one reason only, which maybe people can clear up for me: I doubt the iPod has the 3D power to do those transitions. They look more intensive than other iPod graphics operations you see. And that shatter effect looks anti-aliased, even! (Hard to say with the blurry cube photo.)

How would such a thing be faked? Easy (well, possible):

1. Put a blank white photo on your iPod and view it. Take a close-up shot and you've got your iPod-screen texture.

2. Make your fake screen in Photoshop--you could use pieced extracted by that PC app used to re-skin the iPod UI.

3. Place your fake over the white-screen photo. Use Multiply mode to let the screen texture come through perfectly.

4. Free Transform and drag the corners into perspective.

5. Blur as needed to match the photo, and Adjust Curves to reduce the quality like an LCD.

6. Feel the need for reflections/glare? Take them from a similar photo of the iPod turned off. Composite that screen on top with a mode of Screen.

Normally I think the simplest answer is true--and multiple fake photos here is NOT the simplest. So if anyone has reason to think the iPod Photo's CPUs can handle anti-aliased 3D like that, then my 50/50 doubt can be lifted and I can look forward to a fun update
  • Reply 5 of 24
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Couldn't this be faked much easier? Just draw a picture of Tetris and then import it in to the iPod? Or a cube transition for that matter...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Couldn't this be faked much easier? Just draw a picture of Tetris and then import it in to the iPod? Or a cube transition for that matter...

Now THAT's thinkin' But I had fun...
  • Reply 7 of 24
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

bingo! ... hehe.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Atomic Media Fonts

Humm, kinda lame. How about transfer your stickies to your ipod

If you really want to transfer Stickies to your iPod *now*, you can check out Pod2Go -- I use that software to take my own Stickies on the road with my 20 GB 4G iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    None of this fixes the biggest problem with the iPod or iPod photo. Ability for the iPod to weed out the crappy songs without you having to do anything. Just know its crappy, and skip right on past. That's all I want.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ct77

If you really want to transfer Stickies to your iPod *now*, you can check out Pod2Go -- I use that software to take my own Stickies on the road with my 20 GB 4G iPod.

Or, as a blatant blad for my own product, the notepad MemoBlock allows you to transfer notes to and from iPods
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

None of this fixes the biggest problem with the iPod or iPod photo. Ability for the iPod to weed out the crappy songs without you having to do anything. Just know its crappy, and skip right on past. That's all I want.

Presumably your post was tongue-in-cheek.

But just in case -- you can do this already -- in an "almost" automatic manner. Just use iTunes or your iPod to "rate" songs (1 through 5 stars). ie. As soon as your iPod offends you by playing a crappy song, immediately rate it with 1 star. Then, you can update your iPod using a Smart Playlist as a source -- a Smart Playlist that will only include songs with, say, a 3-star rating or higher. Voila -- your iPod will no longer offend you with crass and vulgar tunes -- like, oh, say, songs by Creed or Nickelback or Theory of a Dead Man.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Re the Tetris drop function: it may not have one. It won't be "purist" Tetris anyway, since the screen is fewer rows high.

Well, for models with the click-pad, you can just press down on the bottom of the scrollpad. Press left or right to move left or right. Scroll around to rotate.

I think the article mentions that somewhere...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    that shot of tetris on iPod photo is faker than pamela anderson's boobs...

nah, i believe it.... TETRIS !! it's back...!

apple cashing in on retro-cool... yeah, i guess i can live with it

forget functionality, TETRIS is where its at
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Well, for models with the click-pad, you can just press down on the bottom of the scrollpad. Press left or right to move left or right. Scroll around to rotate.

I think the article mentions that somewhere...

The article says the wheel moves horizontally and the select button rotates.

Use of the other buttons is tempting but would violate the overall iPod principle that your basic playback controls work in all modes, whether gaming or looking at your calendar.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    I have 3 wishes myself

1) Import slideshows! Now that iPhoto 5 has slideshows separate to albums, if you make a slideshow with music it just isn't imported to the iPod. The album is, which you can also add music to. Just seems stupid.

2) Calendar colours. I have 5 calendars (work, personal, etc). I'd like the iPod calendar to show the colour(s) of my appointment(s) instead of only a blue dot if I've got anything on.

3) Stickies import. I'd like to have my stickies available as notes on the iPod. Note also that iPod Notes can have links to other notes, songs, or photos - so there is scope to drag a slideshow from iPhoto onto a sticky, and have the link in your notes on your iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SAukland

I wonder how you drop a piece in Tetris. Scroll and click... but that'll take forever.

how about move the piece left and right with the scroll wheel, use the center button to rotate, and << , >> , Menu, or >|| to drop the piece or move it faster.

i really dont like the tetris games that drop the piece instantly when you hit the down arrow. i like when it just makes it go faster, cause it's really too easy to miss by one block. the gameboy color version is the best.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

I have 3 wishes myself

Those all sound great to me.

Are you sure you can link to a photo from Notes Reader? I always meant to try and haven't gotten around to it!

And Apple hasn't updated their Notes Reader docs since 2003!

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ipod/
  • Reply 18 of 24
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

[B]Are you sure you can link to a photo from Notes Reader?

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm not positive.

I read the developers notes for iPod's 'notes', and they talked about opening other files on the iPod, and gave music as an example. But I don't remember if a photo (or slideshow, or playlist?) was specifically mentioned.

It wasn't an easy thing to do anyway - it'd only be useful if Apple allowed you to drag a song from iTunes onto a sticky, and created a link automatically to the song, which updated to the iPod. (song, or playlist, or picture, or slideshow).
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Doesn't seem to work, not by the logical photo=filename method anyway. So that's another feature I'd like to see Or just allow images in the Notes folder for that matter--even if they were required to be in a pre-defined format.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm not holding my breath, but Tetris would actually be a good addition. Between that and solitaire you'd have your bases covered.