Apple Store finally on its way to Rhode Island

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has recently inked a lease that will deliver Rhode Island its first Apple retail store, AppleInsider has confirmed.

The lease was signed last month for a space in the Providence Place Mall in Providence, Rhode Island.

Located right of the I-95 Thruway, the $450 million, eight-story mall contains over 1 million square-feet of retail space, a 5,000-vehicle parking garage, a 16-theater movie complex, and a 750-seat food court.

Opening back in 1999, the mall was the most expensive downtown development project in Rhode Island history. It spans over the Woonasquatucket River and the Northeast Corridor Amtrak rail lines and is anchored by major retailers Filene's, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom.

According to sources, the ink on the Apple lease is so fresh that neither Apple nor the Providence Mall are absolutely sure which recently-vacated space the Apple store will eventually occupy. In fact, Apple is reportedly thrilled just to have finally secured a spot in the mall after a near two-year wait.

Currently, Apple is reported to have dibs on space #222 -- the former K B Toys store located on the second level, directly across from Zales and The Gap. However, rumor has it that Apple may not hesitate to move to a more central, or possibly larger, location if presented with the opportunity.

There is no word on when Providence Mall Apple Store will be open for business, seeing as its location remains up in the air and construction has not begun. Still, sources say Apple hopes to launch the store in time for the holiday shopping season.

Sony, one of Apple's largest competitors in the digital music space, is also working to open one of its "Sony Style" stores in the mall this year. The electronics maker will likely beat Apple by several months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    The Apple community can now breathe a sigh of relief!

FINALLY
  • Reply 2 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

The Apple community can now breath a sigh of relief!

FINALLY

yeah, i have to question the term "finally" as well for this post title. is kasper from RI? otherwise, looking at the apple location map, it seems that neck of the woods is chock full o' apple stores already...

especially in selfish comparison to my own louisiana.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Yeah... this makes 28 states.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Rhode Island's too SMALL to accommodate an Apple store! You should feel lucky any hot dog stands are willing to set up in your RUNT state. I hope it's the worst Apple Store ever and closes down in like 5 months and goes back to being a K B Toys for you RUNT state goers.

I was once on my way up north and had to drive through RI with my wife. Well, we were in Connecticut just doing all dandy and approaching your little terd of a state when my wife decided to put on some makeup i was allergic too... i started sneezing like 3 times. I got myself together and asked my wife to hold off on the purfume or makeup or whatever and then asked where we are. She said "Massachusettes." I said "What happened?? I thought we were going to go through RI" and she said: "We just did, u missed it during your sneeze fest."

Ever since that day I have come to the realization that Apple doesn't need a RI Apple store. Anyone from RI can just ride their bike to a real apple store in a real state like NY or CT. The only reason Apple is giving you guys a store is so that you stop squeeling and complaining that you don't have one.

Each state has like 400 to 2000 McDonalds resturants and in Rhode Island there are only 2 and one of those is in a high school cafeteria.

MY 50 cents!

Maki
  • Reply 5 of 21
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MakiMaki

Rhode Island's too SMALL to accommodate an Apple store! You should feel lucky any hot dog stands are willing to set up in your RUNT state. I hope it's the worst Apple Store ever and closes down in like 5 months and goes back to being a K B Toys for you RUNT state goers.

I was once on my way up north and had to drive through RI with my wife. Well, we were in Connecticut just doing all dandy and approaching your little terd of a state when my wife decided to put on some makeup i was allergic too... i started sneezing like 3 times. I got myself together and asked my wife to hold off on the purfume or makeup or whatever and then asked where we are. She said "Massachusettes." I said "What happened?? I thought we were going to go through RI" and she said: "We just did, u missed it during your sneeze fest."

Ever since that day I have come to the realization that Apple doesn't need a RI Apple store. Anyone from RI can just ride their bike to a real apple store in a real state like NY or CT. The only reason Apple is giving you guys a store is so that you stop squeeling and complaining that you don't have one.

Each state has like 400 to 2000 McDonalds resturants and in Rhode Island there are only 2 and one of those is in a high school cafeteria.

MY 50 cents!

Maki

hey, guess what? you're an a55hole. RI has a city and you only need one city to support an apple store.

HOWEVER, this is news not really worth reporting. seriously, who gives a flying f**k where apple is going to put an apple store. it isnt like a first thing ever.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    looks like apple is starting to come alive to more thena few people... now the real question is...

if apple is coming alive in the real world now and everyone seesm to be taking the mac route.. whats going to happen to MS? how will they be effected? hmm...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Well, to be fair, Providence is home to lots of Mac-using artsy types, including lots of Mac-using artsy types who have lots of money to spend on Apple products. Also recall that Providence features RISD and other fine terciary institutions, which are all fond of their Macs. (RISD -> Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy); -> Brad Bird (PiXAR's The Incredibles, The Iron Giant)).

The graduates of Providence's local colleges virtually feed Hollywood and California with fresh talent... This was a calculated move on Apple's part.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I for one will be glad when it opens. I have relatives that live in Pawtucket RI and having to go to the Boston area for an Apple store is not my idea of a fun time. Apple should do well in that mall.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 21
    phasorncphasornc Posts: 46member
    This is good news, Providence Place mall is quite landmark in Providence, and it's almost literally across the street from Brown and Rhode Island School of Design.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, i have to question the term "finally" as well for this post title. is kasper from RI? otherwise, looking at the apple location map, it seems that neck of the woods is chock full o' apple stores already...

especially in selfish comparison to my own louisiana.

Hey, look at us poor folks here in Utah and Idaho. Apple loves the coasts, but it sure seems to leave us hanging.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Whatever. It's there because Brown and a ton of other colleges are. And DAMN FINALLY is all I have to say, I will so be there, since I go to URI. Maki I don't know where you are from but RI is a nice place with nice people. Prov is a nice place too, lol ok maybe in parts. It will be a great city someday though. The mall is a really nice mall though, I have to say. The Apple Store will make it the shit and I will be there frequently.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    And Alaska, Puter Rico, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Guam ? ? anyone ? ? anyone ? hellooooOOO000ooo?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Agreed: FINALLY!

Ever since Apple began their retail initiative in "upscale malls" I've been waiting for a store in Providence Place. If all of you naysayers could see this mall, you would agree that it needs an Apple Store. By far one of the nicest malls I've ever seen and a twenty-five minute trip I make from Connecticut quite often.

It's good to know that Apple was waiting for space in the mall and not overlooking it. I'm half-tempted to apply for a Mac Genius job.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Anyone have an update on this?

To my knowledge, the store is still not open. I don't live in RI, but my Dad does and currently has to drive more than an hour to get to the Braintree store. Anyone notice if there is construction underway, or if the deal is dead entirely?

Thanks...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

• Reply 16 of 21
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I am going up there this weekend to spend the week with the in-laws. I'll make a quick check in the mall.

reg
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Pff. Don't get your hopes up. Friggin thing STILL isn't here. Damnit I hope they hurry up. I'd like to work there part time and then perhaps after a year be a part-time manager, some weekend work for a few years for some cash inflow/fun times. Anyone got tips on getting hired there, or anecdotes about working there?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I almost did not post this because it is a trial to sign up and get the account activated.

The Apple Store at Providence Place is opening in September. I know this because my friend just got hired for the Genius position there (first name beginning with a B). Now he flies out to Cali for two weeks where he will train to get three Apple Certifications.

The discounts and benefits are nice from what he has told me. I would post his blog address, but I am not sure if Apple has him under NDA about the store or anything... (checks for red dot)

Sony Style has been there for awhile right off the 2nd floor escalator, but I am not much of a fan and the atmosphere almost wreaks superiority or the feeling that you had better have a ton of cash when you walk in, or nobody will talk to you.

Anyway, enjoy the store since KB Toys is "slowly" going downhill everywhere.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Hm maybe I should have majored in computer science instead of environmental science. Do you have to have a CS degree to be a Genius? Or just a general knowledge of Mac troubleshooting? (IE, read these boards a lot, etc.) Also, I'd at least qualify for a sales rep position I'd assume. Hey so you're in Prov eh?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    If you check the Providence Place website, you'll find this:

http://www.providenceplace.com/mallmap.asp?mallid=1634

"Apple Store - coming soon!"

Hopes up yet, Aquatic?

Can't wait to buy my Intel Mac Pro in Providence!