Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Well I wouldn't quite say legendary, because I don't even know who he is. Is he dead now? I hope so.

Yeah, well you wouldn't have seen him on MTV Cribs. The world existed prior to 10 years ago you know.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Yeah, well you wouldn't have seen him on MTV Cribs. The world existed prior to 10 years ago you know.

haha, I would hope not, because Cribs and anything else on that rancid channel sucks balls.

And there are plenty of people who I know of that existed before 10 years ago, just not this guy, no need to act like I'm stupid and be an ass about it.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Hm. That's the second time Blob has started a thread with only a period for the title, and no substance to the post. I don't think his/her account is going to last much longer...
  • Reply 24 of 54
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Well I wouldn't quite say legendary, because I don't even know who he is. Is he dead now? I hope so.

Yet another reason to worry about what goes on in naples, florida.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Yet another reason to worry about what goes on in naples, florida.

Nothing. It's just a bunch of old people.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

There are a lot of anecdotes. One I've heard was that an owner complained that the roof leaked on his chair, and Wright told him to move the chair. His arrogance is legendary.

Gee, sort of reminds me of a certain CEO and the two-button mouse.

[the point: his arrogance has nothing to do with the quality of the design of the house.]
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Have you lived in one, or is this just something you learned through cultural osmosis? I wonder what you mean by "sucked to live in"... There's one not too far from me and I can tell you if it sucks to live in it, it sucks a lot more to live where I'm living. Maybe you're just making a nihilist philosophical statement: it sucks to live, period, even in a Frank Lloyd Wright House?

What? No one's taking anything out of context here

Anyway, not sure if this is true, but supposedly he was on the stand at a trial, and stated that his profession was the greatest architect in the world. A friend later told him how immodest this was, and he said "I had no choice! I was under oath!"
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Gee, sort of reminds me of a certain CEO and the two-button mouse.

[the point: his arrogance has nothing to do with the quality of the design of the house.]

Yes it does- his houses are style over function all the way. That's why they're all falling apart now. And his furniture designs are ugly, even if they do match the architecture well.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Yes it does- his houses are style over function all the way.

That's your opinion. Whether it's a valid criticism of the houses, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he may have had an abrasive or acerbic personality. (Then again, maybe the guy with the leaky roof simply didn't have a sense of humor.)

Quote:

That's why they're all falling apart now.

If his houses are falling apart, and I seriously doubt that you have any such evidence, it is a reflection of the building materials, the quality of construction, the fact that they were built many years ago, and probably some degree of negligence on the part of the owners, not of his 'arrogance.'

Quote:

And his furniture designs are ugly, even if they do match the architecture well.

Again, your purely subjective opinion (one obviously not shared by a great many people), and, once again, regardless of whether the furniture is ugly, it is ludicrous to attribute that quality to his 'arrogance.'
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:

What? No one's taking anything out of context here

A friend later told him how immodest this was, and he said "I had no choice! I was under oath!"

Your eye-rolling response to both my post (about nihilism) and Wright's quote indicates that you simply lack of sense of humor. End of story.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Your eye-rolling response to both my post (about nihilism) and Wright's quote indicates that you simply lack of sense of humor. End of story.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you. I wasn't.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

I cracked up when I read you nihilism post, radio. Good stuff
  • Reply 33 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Speaking of designers and popular/neccessary items. Just read an brief interview with Ive -- about what's wrong with cars.

He owns:

an Aston Martin Vanquish

an Audi A8

Interesting choices, no?

The gist of his opinion? Cars are stuck with conventions that are antiquated in a number of ways. Which driver needs an oil pressure guage? Back seats/front seats: why certain particular distinctions between passenger and driver? Who gets driven around any more? This is outdated, not stylistically, but culturally...

Interesting chap, I'd just about rather see him take a crack at designing the next BMW than I would Bangle, who's even start ruining BMW's bikes!
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

And there are plenty of people who I know of that existed before 10 years ago, just not this guy, no need to act like I'm stupid and be an ass about it.

You said he must not be famous since you had not heard of him before. Then said you wished he was dead. I was was just guessing from your comment that you were about 10 years old.

• Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Back seats/front seats: why certain particular distinctions between passenger and driver? Who gets driven around any more? This is outdated, not stylistically, but culturally...

What does he want, steering wheels for everyone in the car? I haven't seen this guy in two years. I think he must be locked up in Steve's basement or something.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

You said he must not be famous since you had not heard of him before. Then said you wished he was dead. I was was just guessing from your comment that you were about 10 years old.

Famous and legendary are two different things Famous is just famous, a chicken can be famous if it happens to look like Jesus. Ghandi, Einstein, Steve Jobs , those people are legendary. I said I wouldn't quite say "legendary". And I hope everyone dies because I hate people I don't know, especially people that sound like a-holes, which from the small portion of comments I've read here, this guy was, and full of himself to boot. And I'm 20, btw.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

If his houses are falling apart, and I seriously doubt that you have any such evidence

His most famous one "fallingwater" is falling apart. Not only that, but the contractor and FLW had an argument about how much rebar to put in the concrete - the contractor waited for FLW to leave and put in more than requested, otherwise the building would be long gone.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

His most famous one "fallingwater" is falling apart. Not only that, but the contractor and FLW had an argument about how much rebar to put in the concrete - the contractor waited for FLW to leave and put in more than requested, otherwise the building would be long gone.

I saw a thing on a building the other day that collapsed because of pretty much the same reason. I don't know why people are so fn stingy with the rebar. The more the better.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:

Famous and legendary are two different things Famous is just famous, a chicken can be famous if it happens to look like Jesus. Ghandi, Einstein, Steve Jobs , those people are legendary. I said I wouldn't quite say "legendary". And I hope everyone dies because I hate people I don't know, especially people that sound like a-holes, which from the small portion of comments I've read here, this guy was, and full of himself to boot. And I'm 20, btw.

FLW is very much legendary, but great analogy anyway

Some excellent pictures here: http://sandstead.com/images/fallingwater/

I still stand on my comment that the furniture is ass ugly, though :P
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

FLW is very much legendary, but great analogy anyway

Some excellent pictures here: http://sandstead.com/images/fallingwater/

I still stand on my comment that the furniture is ass ugly, though :P

I'll say the outside of that house looks BADASS, but honestly, I'm not that impressed.

Hey, watch me put in in a bunch of shelves at different levels and proceed to be elated by people calling me a genuis. Psh. I've seen much better architecture. Though once again I'll admit the outside is one of the most amazing things I've seen.