13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Famous and legendary are two different things Famous is just famous, a chicken can be famous if it happens to look like Jesus. Ghandi, Einstein, Steve Jobs , those people are legendary. I said I wouldn't quite say "legendary". And I hope everyone dies because I hate people I don't know, especially people that sound like a-holes, which from the small portion of comments I've read here, this guy was, and full of himself to boot. And I'm 20, btw.

If you are 20 and never heard of frank lloyd wright that's pretty shocking, but judging from the depth and maturity of your comments, maybe it's not.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

If you are 20 and never heard of frank lloyd wright that's pretty shocking, but judging from the depth and maturity of your comments, maybe it's not.

I don't know about that - I agree with him. The outside is awesome, and the fireplace sucks ass.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Oh yes, so shocking. I don't know how much depth you want from me about a subject I'm not that interested about. Like I said, judging from the quotes I read I don't like the guy, he sounds arrogant. If I pay some scumbag however many millions the guy probably paid him for the house, then get a leaky roof and a response of "Then move your chair," I'd punch his face in, and if you wouldn't do the same, or sue at least, you must let alot of people walk all over you.

I'm sure I can name some random people from subjects I'm interested in, and you wouldn't know who they were, or have heard of them, and then I could sound super smart too by saying how "shocking" it is. Just because x amount of people know who someone is, and I don't, doesn't mean I'm any less deep or mature than you, Good Sir.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I don't know about that - I agree with him. The outside is awesome, and the fireplace sucks ass.

This has nothing to do with opinions of the work and I'm not a fan of most of his work outside of the context, but he's one of america's most well-known cultural figures.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:

but he's one of america's most well-known cultural figures.

Give me a break, I strongly disagree with you on that statement.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Don't you get that it's not a matter of opinion. Disagreeing with that statement is like disagreeing with "Britney Spears is one of the most well-known pop stars in recent years."

You can disagree with the quality of the work, but without knowing anything about architecture or american cultural history the opinion wouldn't really be all that informed.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Don't you get that it's not a matter of opinion. Disagreeing with that statement is like disagreeing with "Britney Spears is one of the most well-known pop stars in recent years."

You can disagree with the quality of the work, but without knowing anything about architecture or american cultural history the opinion wouldn't really be all that informed.

Well, I can't say I know more about cultural history than you, because you don't know me and I don't know you. But you can't say he is one of americas most WELL KNOWN cultural figures. If you would have added "Within the architectural/design community", I would be inclined to agree with you.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    No, he's an american cultural icon, plain and simple. Will you understand if I compare google results of his name with "wright brothers," "robert e. lee," "andrew jackson" or ""georgia o'keeffe?"
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:

No, he's an american cultural icon, plain and simple. Will you understand if I compare google results of his name with "wright brothers," "robert e. lee," "andrew jackson," or "georgia o'keefe?"

I'm not sure I understand what you're comparing exactly. If you mean simply the number of pages that the search returned, that means nothing. By that logic then Your Mom is 20 times more famous than any of those people

...or should I say legendary?
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Maybe they put something in your water down there in naples, fl. There's no other explanation for why the city would have such a high concentration of you guys.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

Maybe they put something in your water down there in naples, fl. There's no other explanation for why the city would have such a high concentration of you guys.

You know more people in Naples? Cool. And by "you guys" I assume you mean people that disagree with you. I guess only water poisoning could cause that right? Talk about maturity. \

PS - I drink bottled anyways.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Christ, you look away for a day or so and all of a sudden a useless thread is hijacked into an architectural bitch-slap contest. Yikes!

FWIW, Mr. Wright was astute at creating parallel movements in his architecture, and some of it is beautiful. Useful to the suburbian nine-to-fiver? Probably not, but most of his work was cool as hell to look at. And I cannot say that I know living in one would suck, but I can see how you would have to remove yourself from the pre-fabbed norm of today's world.

By the way, Mods, when is this sucker going to be blown into a billion little shitty bits and off Future Hardware? If nothing else, move it to GD.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    obviously it should have been locked after the very first post
  • Reply 54 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    lucky for us that it wasn't then... so in the interest of breadth... getting back to Ive and cars... 1984,

Maybe not a steering wheel for everyone, but why perhaps ensconce the driver? Is he a pilot? Might he also like some of the freedom of movement that other passengers enjoy? Is the excessive gadgetry needed/wanted? Can the operation be simplified? Does the engine need to sit in front, and if it does, why are FWD cars so desperately trying to look like RWD cars? Everything aft of the front wheels ought to be completely modular, after some ways of thinking. Getting in should be like stepping into a comfortable lounge. The old Citroen was thinking this way... The rational extension of FWD packaging is to do this, but after the original mini, utilization of this advantage has been basically non existent.